Shirts!

So, I have a wedding to attend in few weeks and need a formal/business type shirt. Don't wear a suit and have not had to buy any formal attire for years.

Any suggestions as to good quality without costing a fortune? I know the usual suspects are Pink, Charles Tyrwhitt, TM Lewin etc. but never actually purchased from any of them. Budget is probably up to £100 or so, but preferably less. As a short bloke, somewhere that offers shorter sleeve lengths (less than the standard 33") would be good so I don't then have to spend an extra £30 getting it altered!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,523
    edited February 2023
    hawkes & curtis let you choose fit and sleeve length

some french cuffs have an extra hole to wear them shorter/longer, and unlike plain cuffs you could probably do some creative folding/tacking to shorten if needed

https://www.hawesandcurtis.co.uk/menswear/shirts/formal

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • CT and TM Lewin (and Hawes and Curtis) are all around £30-£50 quid or so and generally come in a range of sizes, sleeve lengths and even fabric types / weave to suit all tastes. Moss Bross is also not too offensive and also called Savoy Taylors Guild.

Worth going into a store (TM Lewin now online only, I think) and seeing the difference to see if you care. If you don't care then 'Poplin' is just normal.

All my shirts are CT and never had an issue with anything I've bought from there.

Pink went into, and was bought out of administration but they are nearer £100. Hackett about the same.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Charles Tyrwhitt who you have mentioned do various arm lengths and will be considerably less than £100. Basically they are all you need.
    Pink are a bit better at much higher cost if you want to treat yourself.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    I've had shirts from all three of the usual suspects listed and all have been fine with lots of size options, but I don't recall any of them offering the 'T-Rex' option of sleeves less than 33" - although TBH I wasn't looking.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Brook Taverner do decent shirts at well below your budget. You probably could get 3 for £100. They have shops these days but mainly up North although there’s one in Stamford.
  • Thanks for all the comments so far. A few of those all have stores close to hand so I am going to drop into a few this week and try stuff on to see which is best.

If anyone has other suggestion fee free to keep them coming.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    I wear shirts a lot and usually get them from CT. If you're not wanting to spend a fortune, Next and M&S have a decent range . . . just depends on how much you want to spend. A white shirt is only properly "white" for a few wears anyway so I avoid spending much on them.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Just go to Next like everyone else and stop pretending to be posh.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Is it old fashioned to say pop into your local shopping area and see what you like ? If you like clothes then there's some enjoyment to be had in shopping for them - if you take a more functional approach to what you wear I'd have thought £30 would be more than enough to get something that will have you look well turned out enough so as to blend in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Is it old fashioned to say pop into your local shopping area and see what you like ?

Not at all, I am going into town this week, most of the shops mentioned above are covered so I can try a few things on.

I am more of the "buy once, buy well" type if money allows. Having bought various items that are now still in use and in good nick well into their second decade, I do think spending a bit more up front saves you in the long run.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

I am more of the "buy once, buy well" type if money allows. Having bought various items that are now still in use and in good nick well into their second decade, I do think spending a bit more up front saves you in the long run.

Yeah, that rings true. I was moving some photo albums whilst decorating recently and looked through some pics of our honeymoon and realised I was wearing the same top I had back in 1997, albeit old and tatty and covered in paint. I was also comforted that it still fit me after these years unlike a lot of my friends would experience!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,324
    webboo said:

...mainly up North ...Stamford.

Hmm...

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pinno said:

webboo said:

...mainly up North ...Stamford.

Hmm...

I said they are mainly up North although there is one Stamford. They are Yorkshire company based in Keighley. Maybe you are more of a House of Bruar man.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    You say you don't wear this type of clothing often, so why are you worried about the quality?

You're unlikely to get the use out of that quality before the fashion has changed. (collars are all over the place)

The older I get, the better I was.

• You say you don't wear this type of clothing often, so why are you worried about the quality?

You're unlikely to get the use out of that quality before the fashion has changed. (collars are all over the place)

Fair point. I think something better quality (regardless of what the item is) tends to use higher quality materials and be of a better construction, which usually means the style and look of it is also nicer, and it holds up over a longer period of time.

Even though it will have less use, having something I can use when needed and know it will still do the job, and I will enjoy wearing, is worth spending more on IMO.

With a formal shirt the style never changes so I am not fussed about the fashion changing.

As an update, ordered a couple of shirts from TM Lewin, so hopefully they will be okay off the peg and not need any adjustment!