Olympics tickets - 2024

I've managed to get lucky in the draw for Olympics tickets, and the window for purchasing them opens in 90 mins.

However, a long way out still, a lot can happen, and though i want the tickets, there is a non-negligible chance I won't be able to make it.

Does anyone have any experience with selling/returning tickets for these kinds of events?

I want the option, and there's nothing on the website info.

Comments

• You should be able to offer the tickets back for resale via the IOC platform, I did for 2012 and have done similar for other sporting events.

They may charge you an admin fee, it has previously been about 20% of the full ticket value.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Ah well nevermind. The cheap seats are already gone and €180 per head is a bit steep for me.
  • If it's for an evening athletics or track cycling, I'd say go for it if you possibly can. We paid a ridiculous amount for final night athletics tickets in 2012 and didn't regret it.
  • rick_chasey

If it's for an evening athletics or track cycling, I'd say go for it if you possibly can. We paid a ridiculous amount for final night athletics tickets in 2012 and didn't regret it.

That's getting close to £1200 all in, for some less-than average seats for the athletics, which is too steep for me alas, and no cycling track finals (not that it's in Paris anyway), just qualies which are still €125 pp
  • Ah well nevermind. The cheap seats are already gone and €180 per head is a bit steep for me.

Not too much for the Instagram crowds, who will no doubt monetise their selfies... pathetic world we live in...

left the forum March 2023
  • The average price of tickets for medal sessions in 2012 at the athletics was £231.

Supply and demand more than people monetising their attendance.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I came in to a very modest sum of money from my Grandma's will in 2011, and thought it would be really nice to use that money to see some of the Velodrome events, so I applied for a raft of tickets, and even went for some in the 4 figure range, thinking that the chance of obtaining one would be greater, but didn't get a sniff of anything at all.

I know some friends who got some tickets to fencing!

I didn't just want to apply for anything though, I have to have a genuine interest in the sport.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    daniel_b said:

I came in to a very modest sum of money from my Grandma's will in 2011, and thought it would be really nice to use that money to see some of the Velodrome events, so I applied for a raft of tickets, and even went for some in the 4 figure range, thinking that the chance of obtaining one would be greater, but didn't get a sniff of anything at all.

I know some friends who got some tickets to fencing!

I didn't just want to apply for anything though, I have to have a genuine interest in the sport.

I used to work with a lady who was quite evidently from a well off background and well connected.

Friends on FB and she was at an Olympic event every day in 2012 and sometimes multiple. And I don’t think it’s because she spent a fortune either.

Not what you know.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I went to lots of events in 2012. It wasn't about luck (I got two in the ballot) or money (they would all have been leas than £100) just trying a lot.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    In 2012 we applied for equestrian as my daughter was horse mad. Went for day 2, which is cross-country day in 3 day eventing and I was in the good books when we got them. We were looking forward to the course in Greenwich Park then spotted it was showing as dressage. It turned out day 1 was some kind of preliminary dressage round and day 2 was the proper dressage section!

It was still a decent experience even though we had a thunderstorm and what I think was the only rain of the whole Games. We camped in Blackheath rugby club and some of the tents got flooded. On the plus side it did mean we were there for the opening weekend and I got to see the start and finish of the road race and Cav’s glorious failure as Team GB were left chasing every move of the day.
  • I saw two athletics sessions, archery, table tennis, wrestling, swimming, volleyball and the road cycling. Plus the preparation events for track cycling, diving and gymnastics. No special contacts for anything, just persistence with the ticketing system.
  • rick_chasey
    Different system this time.
  • Different system this time.

Yes, but I got almost nothing in the ballot last time.

Still waiting for my turn for 2024.
  • TheBigBean

It's always a different system which is why it is so hard. One thing that doesn't change is that each country gets an allocation to sell, so the sales process is different in different countries.

I really recommend a winter olympics. Really enjoyed it when I went.
  • rick_chasey

Be fast when you get your slot. There’s a queue to get in and by the time I got there I was already too late
  • Different system this time.

Be fast when you get your slot. There’s a queue to get in and by the time I got there I was already too late
    I bet 3/4 of the tickets bought 18 months in advance are then re-sold... it just seems a complete waste of everybody's time. I mean, it is the Olympics, surely they will be able to sell the tickets even if they put them for sale next year, when folks have a better idea if they are still alive and able to go
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    We had tickets for the athletics super Saturday evening in 2012 - £50 each!
    3 rows from the back, but bang opposite the finishing line, and the long jump pit was in front of us.
    An incredible night.

On the Winter Olympics front, ice hockey is an awesome watch live. I was working in Meribel in 1992.
    Downhill skiing events get very boring after a few racers.
  • morstar

We had tickets for the athletics super Saturday evening in 2012 - £50 each!
    3 rows from the back, but bang opposite the finishing line, and the long jump pit was in front of us.
    An incredible night.

On the Winter Olympics front, ice hockey is an awesome watch live. I was working in Meribel in 1992.
    Downhill skiing events get very boring after a few racers.

I love downhill skiing, but I think the appeal of going to see a race live would be a once and done.

If I lived locally and it was a morning out with mates followed by a day skiing, sure, I’d go to more. But definitely a TV spectacle if you’re watching it from a sporting perspective.

I have Kitzbuhel downhill on my bucket list.

A good ice hockey game is awesome. The speed and skill are amazing. A shame the olympics are not always the pinnacle of the sport though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    morstar said:

A good ice hockey game is awesome. The speed and skill are amazing. A shame the olympics are not always the pinnacle of the sport though.

I have seen a few NHL games (including Gretzky) which is the pinnacle. They are without doubt an amazing spectacle to watch live. Go twice. Once at ice level, and again high up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I have seen a few NHL games (including Gretzky) which is the pinnacle. They are without doubt an amazing spectacle to watch live. Go twice. Once at ice level, and again high up.
    I’ve not seen NFL in first person but have both reffed and played over here.
    Reffed a game with an ex NHL player (only a bit part player in the NFL) and he was just such a complete player. Every aspect of his game was top notch.
  • TheBigBean
    I went to the half-pipe, moguls, ski jumping and ice skating. I would do them all again except the ice skating where I witnessed world record performances and still didn't really get it.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    I think after the Liverpool football debacle I'll give the prospect of getting tear gassed and beaten by French riot cops a miss.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    davidof said:

I think after the Liverpool football debacle I'll give the prospect of getting tear gassed and beaten by French riot cops a miss.

They don't seem to have had any issues hosting all those 6 Nations matches at the Stade de France in the last 25 years.
  • Pross
    davidof said:

The Liverpool players are kindly doing their bit to ensure it doesn't happen again this year.
  • rick_chasey

davidof said:

They don't seem to have had any issues hosting all those 6 Nations matches at the Stade de France in the last 25 years.
    managing football fans is quite a specific thing. Not really the same crowd as the olympics

• Pross said:

davidof said:

The Liverpool players are kindly doing their bit to ensure it doesn't happen again this year.
    If anybody is interested I have two tickets for the LFC end of season party on the night of March 15th
  • Pross

davidof said:

managing football fans is quite a specific thing. Not really the same crowd as the olympics

What about the Olympic football?
  • davidof

You clearly haven't read the investigation into the debacle.

Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    davidof said:

You clearly haven't read the investigation into the debacle.

I lived next to Stamford Bridge for 6 years. I know what football fans in the prem are like. For sure, there were plenty of problems with how they were handled, but football fans need totally different handling than any other sport.
  • davidof

I lived next to Stamford Bridge for 6 years. I know what football fans in the prem are like. For sure, there were plenty of problems with how they were handled, but football fans need totally different handling than any other sport.

We're not talking about a Saturday derby at Stamford Bridge but specifically at the French interior ministers mishandling of the match at the Stade de France.

As you haven't read the report I'll leave it at that.

Instagramme