Boardman 9.4 thru axle removal tool

javidr
javidr Posts: 133
Hi

The Boardman 9.4 doesn’t have a quick release for the thru axle (10nm) and my toolkit doesn’t have a 10nm hex wrench.

I have limited space in my bike bag, so, what do you recommend here? Buying a new toolkit with a 10nm in it? Buying just the 10nm hex key? Put some adapter to the thru axle?

Thanks

Comments

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited February 2023
    It will be a 5 or 6 mm hex ,10 nm is how tight to torque it
    You will have the right size on any multi-tool
  • javidr
    I tried the 6nm one and doesn’t work, it need something bigger I think
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I've seen a couple of brands using torx fittings rather than hex. Speak to a local Halfords branch that sells bikes or try Tredz for some advice as they also sell Boardman (and being part of the Halfords group now).
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Can we clear something up before we go any further?

nm?

or mm?

They're different things.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited February 2023
    javidr said:

I tried the 6nm one and doesn’t work, it need something bigger I think

It most likly is one that needs pushed right in ,it will only rotate if its not far enough in .Its also likly Alex rims on it
  • Ben6899 said:

Can we clear something up before we go any further?

nm?

or mm?

They're different things.

Wouldn't mind knowing what 9.4 it is too .There's lots of them
  • javidr
    Right, I tried to remove the axle from the wrong side 🤦‍♂️. I thought it could be removed by each side of the bike but I just learnt it’s not the case.

The 6 nm(or mm, I don’t know, that’s probably the latter) works fine, so all sorted

Thanks!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    javidr said:

The 6 nm(or mm, I don’t know, that’s probably the latter) works fine, so all sorted

It's 6mm. A hex key 6 millimetres across flats. Nm - Newton metres - are the units or torque which is a very different thing.