Back wheel wobble

There is a slight wobble with my back wheel.
I can't turn the quick release thru-axle (is that what it's called??) any tighter.
Is the problem with the rear hub?
Homer
GT Rider
Cube Limited 29th
Trek Superfly FS 7

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Buckled rim or loose spokes.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Do you mean that you can wobble the wheel on the axle when it isn't rotating?
    In which case your bearings or cones need adjusting and/or servicing.
  • Or need to replace the bearings.

Super annoying the first time this happens because one has no idea what it means. Still very annoying when it happens again down the line. Ultimately it's just a matter of wear and tear. Nothing last for ever without servicing (at best, if lucky), or replacing (unavoidable if too old).

And even with the best servicing, stuff simply last longer but not for ever.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    ^yes.
    Depending on the specific wheel and how worn things are, it can be an quick easy job to do yourself (lots of youtube advice) or a pain. Currently having my own bearing woes on several wheels that have been neglected over the winter.
  • Mad_Malx said:

^yes.
    Depending on the specific wheel and how worn things are, it can be an quick easy job to do yourself (lots of youtube advice) or a pain.

Or it could well be just not doable. If the bearings are too worn out.
  • The wheel is 29" with bontrager mustang elite rims. the hub is the factory fitted bontrager. don't know what model. i've had the bike since 2016!!!!
    the wobble is when the wheel is in situ and i've tightened the quick release as best i can, the i can move the wheel from side to side a little bit.
    i don't know anything about spokes and if they need tightening up.
    Homer
    GT Rider
    Cube Limited 29th
    Trek Superfly FS 7
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, we still don't know where the wobble is, if you read that post without your knowledge it tells us nothing. We don't even know if it only shows a 'wobble' when rotating or when not turning.
    If the wobble is between axle and hub (the hub which the spokes attaches to moves side to side) it's a bearing issue.
    If the wobble is between the hub and rim (rim wobbles as it rotates but not stationary) it's the spokes that need adjusting to true the wheel.
    If the wobble is between the rim and tyre tread (so wobbles as it rotates but not stationary) it's a defective tyre.

If it's the hub bearings then it depends on what sort of bearings you have how to fix it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.