A bonailie, Nicola

Surprising day of News, not for the usual "and another corrupt one gets revealed" ways.

One of the most successful British politicians of the 20th century in every way apart from the only one that mattered to her?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64647907

(Starmer right now... 😎)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    Seems to be a little out of the blue.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,592
    Jezyboy said:

Seems to be a little out of the blue.

I'll guess that the minefield of gender politics proved to be too much.
    (See the past 2 weeks news headlines around Sturgeon.)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    ddraver said:

Surprising day of News, not for the usual "and another corrupt one gets revealed" ways.

One of the most successful British politicians of the 20th century in every way apart from the only one that mattered to her?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64647907

(Starmer right now... 😎)

Shame about the 21st century though!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

Plus Arlene Foster DUP
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,875
    Wow!
    Can't think many saw that coming.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215

Plus Arlene Foster DUP

What about Plaid Cymru? More MPs than two of those "major" Parties.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Good riddance :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    There have been rumours since she started travelling abroad on the public purse on what can only be described as personal marketing trips.

They are getting into problems with a number of silly policies.

1. Gender recognition
    2. Going ahead with bottle deposit return scheme without the rest of the UK
    3. Ferry contracts grossly over running in time and cost, and awarded questionably
    4. Public purchase of a ship yard that has gone bust a couple of times
    5. The NHS is a disaster here
    6. Local services are a disaster here because they've been starved of cash so the SNP can be santa
    7. Schools are a disaster here
    8. There are huge drug problems in Glasgow that they have got worse since SNP pledged to improve them
    9. they would lose both a defacto referendum, and would look weak kicking the defacto referendum down the road. The initial mistake was giving a press conference within an hour or so of the Brexit referendum result calling for another indyref.
    10. taxes are higher than the rest of the UK.
    11. there is a covid enquiry brewing, and she decided to send old people with covid back to care homes against advice.
    12. the SNP are getting financially shady. Her husband loaned them money, and quite a lot of public money is unaccounted for.

I sincerely hope this is a prelude to some more balanced politics up here.
  • God I'm surprised at that news. I thought she'd see it to the bitter end.
  • First.Aspect

God I'm surprised at that news. I thought she'd see it to the bitter end.

I think she has, effectively.
  • I suppose she's held the job for a while.

I give her credit for fighting for her Country. Not that I want to see Scotland go independent.
  • First.Aspect

I suppose she's held the job for a while.

I give her credit for fighting for her Country. Not that I want to see Scotland go independent.

She's only ever been fighting for about half of it, by selling snake oil.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,592
    edited February 2023

There have been rumours since she started travelling abroad on the public purse on what can only be described as personal marketing trips.

Unfortunately for you I think the SNP leadership will be much like the tory leadership.
    Losing one head to be replaced by a worse one. You may be happy one day, eventually.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Unfortunately for you I think the SNP leadership will be much like the tory leadership.
    Losing one head to be replaced by a worse one. You may be happy one day, eventually.
    I think there is a natural gap for Scottish Labour to move into, if SNP support weakens. The way the parliament here works is fairly proportional, so would lead to coalition governance. At the moment it is with the greens because they only needed two seats, and the greens hold too much sway and have less common sense than even the SNP.
  • Stevo_666
    Anyhow, I shall only remember her for her uncanny resemblance to a far greater and more influential Scottish figure.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Stevo_666 said:

Anyhow, I shall only remember her for her uncanny resemblance to a far greater and more influential Scottish figure.

Yes, that was unfortunate for her. She had more to lose than Andrew Bridgen and his resemblance, even if it is an uncanny one.

• First.Aspect
    How about

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Pross said:

Shame about the 21st century though!

Oh Damn and Blast!
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

How about

I'll be very happy when that closed fist gesture is consigned to history.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Yes, that was unfortunate for her. She had more to lose than Andrew Bridgen and his resemblance, even if it is an uncanny one.

Not a bad one. There's also Keir Starmer and Lee from Gogglebox.

• exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264

1. Gender recognition
    3. Ferry contracts grossly over running in time and cost, and awarded questionably
    6. Local services are a disaster here because they've been starved of cash so the SNP can be santa
    8. There are huge drug problems in Glasgow that they have got worse since SNP pledged to improve them
    9. they would lose both a defacto referendum, and would look weak kicking the defacto referendum down the road. The initial mistake was giving a press conference within an hour or so of the Brexit referendum result calling for another indyref.
    11. there is a covid enquiry brewing, and she decided to send old people with covid back to care homes against advice.
    12. the SNP are getting financially shady. Her husband loaned them money, and quite a lot of public money is unaccounted for.

All true, but compared to England run by the Tory’s it’s seems like heaven .

Much rather live there, in fact i am looking into .
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not a bad one. There's also Keir Starmer and Lee from Gogglebox.

Not really sure that's an L...
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    exlaser said:

1. Gender recognition

All true, but compared to England run by the Tory’s it’s seems like heaven .

Much rather live there, in fact i am looking into .
    It isn't. The SNP have been very slick, but they have destabilised the country for 15 years with relentless pressure for seismic constitutional change. It is stifling investment and all the while public services have gone to shit. They are also going down a yoghurt knitting woke rabbit hole at the moment.

They are operating like a secretive cult as well, breaking down the division between the legal system and politics and flat out ignoring court orders to publish information in the public interest, simply because they disagree. They also run their own form of nationalistic chumocracy, hence questionable deals to buy Prestwick airport, the ship builders that will never make money again, and odd awards to local companies who aren't competent to build ferries. Christ the trains haven't even got any better since they took them into public ownership.

They are a dangerous and insidious bunch, and I would honestly prefer comedic incompetence as an alternative.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    She seems to have better PR than the Tories, particularly among a certain type of English voter (liberal ish remainers)

In my narrow, anecdotal experience, she seems more popular with English voters and Scots who have left Scotland, than people living in Scotland.

• I suppose she's held the job for a while.

Obviously you do not follow events in Scotland. She never fought for the people of Scotland once, only herself and her weird perverted friends.

She betrayed the independence movement.

She betrayed over 50% of the Scottish population (i.e. women), due to her rapists charter. Stating concerns were not valid and then smeared those against her proposals.

She tried to get an innocent man jailed on joke charges and then continually smeared him whenever she had an opportunity.

Under her orders, independence supporters have ended up in jail on ludicrous charges and one being sent to jail.

First.Aspect sums it up with the list of her failings.

It is astonishing that Polis Scotland had to get permission to be able to interview the players behind the missing £600k and her "husband's" "loan" to the SNP.

The sooner she, her "husband" and the other players are behind bars the better for the people of Scotland.
  • Jezyboy said:

She seems to have better PR than the Tories, particularly among a certain type of English voter (liberal ish remainers)

In my narrow, anecdotal experience, she seems more popular with English voters and Scots who have left Scotland, than people living in Scotland.

That's because she bought off the msm in Scotland with millions.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Jezyboy said:

Pfff. No she doesn't.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    It'll be fun watching the SNP fight amongst themselves. It will become known as the Great unmasking.

Not that a bunch of white folk dressed in national flags demanding control over their county was ever that much of a disguise.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited February 2023

I suppose she's held the job for a while.

Obviously you do not follow events in Scotland. She never fought for the people of Scotland once, only herself and her weird perverted friends.

She betrayed the independence movement.

She betrayed over 50% of the Scottish population (i.e. women), due to her rapists charter. Stating concerns were not valid and then smeared those against her proposals.

She tried to get an innocent man jailed on joke charges and then continually smeared him whenever she had an opportunity.

Under her orders, independence supporters have ended up in jail on ludicrous charges and one being sent to jail.

First.Aspect sums it up with the list of her failings.

It is astonishing that Polis Scotland had to get permission to be able to interview the players behind the missing £600k and her "husband's" "loan" to the SNP.

The sooner she, her "husband" and the other players are behind bars the better for the people of Scotland.
    Yep, that's true.