Hip Replacement

Hi All,

Well crashed on a Sunday Club Run and end up having a full hip replacement 10 days ago. I am keen to back on the turbo but know I must rush it.

Has anyone got any experience advice on starting back on the road to recovery. How long to wait and what sort of volume to start with. Not sure it is relevant but I am 71.

I have set a bike up on the turbo with flat pedals and a very high front end like Phil Cavell did in his book 'The Midlife Cyclist'.

Cheers

Phil

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I had my hip replaced 15 days ago due having no cartilage left in the joint. I had my wound review yesterday and told I shouldn’t do anything other than the exercises I was given on discharge and walking. I did ask about the turbo but I was told not until I have a review with consultant in 4 weeks time.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    there's a long broken hip thread, not all victims had a replacement, but there's a range of ages in there, might be worth a read

but as webboo says, do what the consultant tells you!

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/12571535/broken-hip-recovery-advice-needed
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • webboo
    I googled hip rehab protocols yesterday and some mention using a static bike after 3 to 4 weeks post op. But only for 10 mins twice a day with little or no resistance, more of a mobility thing than for fitness.
    I know you said you had flat pedals on your turbo bike but I would have thought a measure of whether you should be using the turbo would be. Can you put your cycling shoes and socks unaided. If not then it’s probably a no.
  • baroid
    baroid Posts: 87
    Hi Webboo,

Flat pedals are recommended so that you don't over compensate with the good leg and under work the bad leg, which could result in an imbalance.
  • webboo
    At 11 days post op I wouldn’t be worrying about over working the good leg, it would more about not doing damage to the damaged one. Hence my reference to can you get your shoes and socks unaided. I still can’t at 16 days yet I can walk 5 miles pain and stiffness free. Clearly walking effectively requires less of a range of movement than cycling.
  • baroid
    Webboo you are doing well to be able to walk 5 miles 16 days after op. I cannot get my shoes and socks on.
    Just spoke to a physio that worked with the Olympic swimming team and he has convinced me its much to early to cycle.

Keep in touch and let me know how your rehab goes.

Phil
  • Hi baroid, and webboo,
    Here’s hoping you both make a swift recovery,
    Baroid I came off on a roundabout back in 2016 and posted an ongoing thread with a timeline of what I did and when - the accident made me very determined to come back stronger which I did. Was 52 at the time.
    Link to my thread below which I hope you will find useful. ( always seek medical advice of course, but so useful to hear from others. I can have no complaints about it as have done everything I wanted on it.
    I’m now just 3 days from having a full right knee replacement due to severe arthritis so will soon be posting a thread to get the experiences of others for this!
    Hope useful and please feel free to ask any questions too.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13073435/just-had-hip-replacement-any-advice-please/p1
  • baroid
    Molteni_man.

Thanks for the link I am sure I will pick up some useful tips form it.

Good luck with the knee replacement hope it all goes well and you are soon back on the bike. I will look out for your thread.

Phil
  • webboo
    I had forgotten that I posted on that thread. Poor old Dennis not happy with his lot.
  • webboo said:

I had forgotten that I posted on that thread. Poor old Dennis not happy with his lot.

Hi Webboo - all seems like a long time ago that! It was a good thread until Dennis went off on one, but hope it is useful for others. Went back to normal once he no longer posted!
  • baroid said:

Molteni_man.

Thanks for the link I am sure I will pick up some useful tips form it.

Good luck with the knee replacement hope it all goes well and you are soon back on the bike. I will look out for your thread.

Phil

BW Phil - take care and let us know how you get on. Unfortunately, it does seem to happen to a few cyclists.
    One f the things I meant to add was to strongly suggest getting a bone density check done to see if there was any reason for such a break. I got diagnosed with osteopenia / osteoporosis which I thought related to me diagnosed as coeliac not that long before. Further investigation after some time led to a diagnosis of parathyroidism which is too much calcium in the blood and can be quite dangerous if left untreated for too long. Sure this won’t be you, but worth the question to see if anything going on.
    Time is the healer as ever. Best wishes! Matt
  • baroid
    Molteni_man,

Thanks for the advice, will post how I am getting on.
  • baroid
    Well its 4 weeks since my Total Hip Replacement and am regular walking a mile non-stop with the aid of a crutch. Yesterday I did 40 minutes at 100W on the turbo at a cadence of 88 so pleased with that.

Non sure what to do next, think of increase power and keeping the time short.
    Would like to be back on the bike in another 4 weeks. Problem at the moment would be putting my shoes on, getting on the bike and clipping out.
  • webboo
    edited February 2023
    I’m one day shy of 5 weeks and I’ve using the turbo with my cycling shoes on for a couple of weeks. I have done a couple of my usual interval sessions but using a smaller gear and lower pedal revs. However yesterday I manage 90 to 105 revs.
    Also at the weekend I managed to walk up Dodd woods 1300 ft of ascent and descent I used just one walking mainly on the descent.
    I went on here today just doing my warm up problems. The photo is upside down is 40 degrees overhanging.
    I find if push it the best thing next day is just to do the basic physio stuff.
  • webboo
    Actually I find getting out of chair, any chair one of the worst things. I just seem to stiffen up when I’ve been sitting. Even if I’ve done nothing before.
  • baroid
    Webboo, sounds like you are doing well, keep it up. Can you get on and off the bike OK?
  • webboo- I was like you and could only sit for a certain amount of time before I needed to move.
    I was lucky baroid when I was recovering in that I had a Wattbike Pro which was more
    ‘Step thru’ without any cross bar as such. It was good to be back on a turbo physically and mentally I remember.
    The hip replacement was certainly more problematic re getting into cars, bed etc etc.
    baroid - Phil - I had to learn to lean the bike down much more when ‘ throwing’ my leg over the saddle.
    One of the things with the Wattbike which was super motivating was the ability to see the balance of power in both legs and seeing it return steadily to my right leg over time till the point that I got back to 50/50.
  • webboo
    edited February 2023
    baroid said:

Webboo, sounds like you are doing well, keep it up. Can you get on and off the bike OK?

I use a small set of steps to get on and off the the turbo. I will wait till I have my 6 week follow up before trying the real thing. Plus I need to know I can bend over easily to fix punctures etc.
  • webboo
    6 week review yesterday with consultant, he was very pleased with the progress I’d made and I was discharged. Just given advice on building up slowly and to back off if I get any discomfort.
    In the days prior to seeing him I’ve able to do 3 of my usual interval sessions with usual gearing and pedal revs. First time my heart rate was higher second time it was about normal although it felt hard to complete the session.
    Rock climbing wise I’m managing stuff that felt hard 2 years ago but has felt steady more recently. Certainly lacking in power but that what I’d expect after a month of no training.
    I was hoping to ride out side in the next few days but the weather has put paid to that.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 440
    webboo said:

6 week review yesterday with consultant, he was very pleased with the progress I’d made and I was discharged. Just given advice on building up slowly and to back off if I get any discomfort.
    In the days prior to seeing him I’ve able to do 3 of my usual interval sessions with usual gearing and pedal revs. First time my heart rate was higher second time it was about normal although it felt hard to complete the session.
    Rock climbing wise I’m managing stuff that felt hard 2 years ago but has felt steady more recently. Certainly lacking in power but that what I’d expect after a month of no training.
    I was hoping to ride out side in the next few days but the weather has put paid to that.

Great to see your progress Webboo! Really good. Maybe find a good day to get out on for your first ride. I got out at exactly the 12 week mark on a cold February in 2017 for my first proper road bike ride of 21 miles. For me there was a lot about regaining confidence as it was coming off the bike that caused me to break the hip and need the replacement. I actually started riding outdoors at the 8 week mark pootling up to the shops and back ( about 6 miles) on my Brompton which was perfect as so easy to get on and off. The turbo was good as it allowed me to focus on the pedalling rather than other aspects.. and it was winter so not always enticing either!
    Hoping you keep going well - looking like a v good recovery!
  • molteni_man
    baroid said:

Well its 4 weeks since my Total Hip Replacement and am regular walking a mile non-stop with the aid of a crutch. Yesterday I did 40 minutes at 100W on the turbo at a cadence of 88 so pleased with that.

Non sure what to do next, think of increase power and keeping the time short.
    Would like to be back on the bike in another 4 weeks. Problem at the moment would be putting my shoes on, getting on the bike and clipping out.

Hi again baroid/ Phil just seen your post and great positive words on the knee replacement thread - thank you. One of the things I was warned about was over doing the stretching just in case of dislocation. I can’t remember when I was finally able to get my sock on by myself, but I remember my Dad doing exactly this ( dislocation) and needing the hip put back in place once more - wasn’t there when it happened so don’t know how painful it was!
    I got people at the gym to give me feedback on my pedalling style and overall stance on the bike and got my wife to video me which was incredibly informative as I had developed a very slight lean. The dance studio had a wall of mirrors which was useful to see how I was walking too. Once I got clearance that my wound had healed I did lots of shallow water walking and the recommended stretches in the water which was super supportive.
    Hope you are doing well. Your progress with the cycling is great! BW
  • webboo

webboo said:

Great to see your progress Webboo! Really good. Maybe find a good day to get out on for your first ride. I got out at exactly the 12 week mark on a cold February in 2017 for my first proper road bike ride of 21 miles. For me there was a lot about regaining confidence as it was coming off the bike that caused me to break the hip and need the replacement. I actually started riding outdoors at the 8 week mark pootling up to the shops and back ( about 6 miles) on my Brompton which was perfect as so easy to get on and off. The turbo was good as it allowed me to focus on the pedalling rather than other aspects.. and it was winter so not always enticing either!
    Hoping you keep going well - looking like a v good recovery!
    I got out last Sunday 2 days ago 32 miles, legs felt ok. Rest of me not so. A bit stiff and sore next day but I still managed to walk the dogs and clean the house. Hoping the weather plays ball for another ride tomorrow.
  • molteni_man
    Doing brilliantly Webboo! Good to hear.
  • webboo
    Did another 31st and a bit miles today. Felt like hard work in the windy and cold conditions. I’m bit stiff and sore now.
  • baroid
    Webboo, sounds like you are really progressing well.

I cannot even get on my bike yet so still the turbo for me.
  • baroid
    Has my 6 week check yesterday, what a waste of time, only with doctor for 3 minutes and all he seemed concerned with was the state of the wound. He didn't even look at my hip or how walked just signed me off. I was hoping for a chat and some advice, all I got out of him was I cannot ride my bike until 3 months and I didn't required physio. However I am going to ignore this advise and hopefully ride in the next couple of weeks, however like Molteni_man said confidence might be a bit of an issue Also booked an appointment with a sports physio I use unfortunately he is so busy cannot see him foe another 10 days.

Some days my knee is really painful which stops me walking much but it is OK when on the turbo. Still not sleeping great as find it really uncomfortable, tried different positions with and without a pillow for support.

I did 5 hours on the turbo last week and it will be 4 hours this week although low power. Just did a session of 1 hour at average power of 155W and average cadence of 85. Hip is OK although it pulls a bit of I crouch down over the handlebars.

I have noticed that my resting heart rate is about 8 to 10 beats higher than before the hip replacement, have you guys noticed a difference?

Keep going guys as you both seem to be progressing well.
  • webboo
    45 miles ridden to day, felt hard though. My heart rate is higher than pre op and I feel I’m lacking in power. But it’s probably 3 or even 4 months since I was riding what I would call normally so everything is going to feel hard. Todays average speed was probably 2 mph down on what I would expect to be doing but I feel I need another couple of weeks of just riding before I introduce intervals outside.
    Hip wise it feels ok although the muscle can feel sore after riding but then so does the muscle on my good side and my lower back isn’t great either 😂
  • webboo
    I find my self flinching when I lift my leg to get on my bike even though there’s no pain anymore. Also I always put my left foot ( new hip side) down when I stop. I feel if I stood like this for long I could topple over.
  • molteni_man
    baroid said:

Has my 6 week check yesterday, what a waste of time, only with doctor for 3 minutes and all he seemed concerned with was the state of the wound. He didn't even look at my hip or how walked just signed me off. I was hoping for a chat and some advice, all I got out of him was I cannot ride my bike until 3 months and I didn't required physio. However I am going to ignore this advise and hopefully ride in the next couple of weeks, however like Molteni_man said confidence might be a bit of an issue Also booked an appointment with a sports physio I use unfortunately he is so busy cannot see him foe another 10 days.

Some days my knee is really painful which stops me walking much but it is OK when on the turbo. Still not sleeping great as find it really uncomfortable, tried different positions with and without a pillow for support.

I did 5 hours on the turbo last week and it will be 4 hours this week although low power. Just did a session of 1 hour at average power of 155W and average cadence of 85. Hip is OK although it pulls a bit of I crouch down over the handlebars.

I have noticed that my resting heart rate is about 8 to 10 beats higher than before the hip replacement, have you guys noticed a difference?

Keep going guys as you both seem to be progressing well.

Hey Baroid,
    I think the sleeping will remain challenging with having to lie on your back for a while longer. My right hip was replaced and slowly I could begin to lean slightly on to my left leg, but it took longer to be able to lie to my right. I found my nightime was disrupted too - I think possibly because I would still need to have some sleep in the day.
    Re heart rate- yes had exactly the same- I guess to be expected with a loss of fitness, but it will come back!
    Think you are doing well with your cycling- like you I went for lower power, but aimed to lengthen the time bit by bit.
    I’m not the best one to say this, but remember there’s been a lot going on in that leg so it will take time for it to settle! My surgeon said it was hard because so much muscle had to be cut through and this needs to mend - he said it took longer to operate on me than average being a cyclist because of the muscle!
    I also booked a physio and he did lots of work on the muscles in the leg - it really helped physically and psychologically!
    It’s a journey you’re on - you’ve undoubtedly made some v good strides here … keep listening to the body. Ultimately, I came back stronger than before the op …. but it takes time- at 9 months I did nearly 70 miles and over 7,000 ft of climbing up to the Col de l’Iseran and felt fantastic, but built up to this.
    Have a good weekend!
  • webboo
    edited March 2023
    Sleep wise I’m doing ok I can lay either side for a reasonable period. However the wife’s sleep is much disturbed as I keep sleeping on my back with loud 💤