Cable routing

Hi,
I have a Ribble r872 and have struggled for a few years now to get the gear cables to run freely through the frame. As the bike has got older this has got worse and even as the mech has been replaced it cannot pull new cables through. I have used sheaths, Jagwire sealed kits but even these do not last long before the shifting deteriorates. The frame has done around 40000km mainly in bad weather and has maybe been worn internally by cables? As a result I am looking for a new frame that has good cable routing, maybe even external routing that will last a long time. I had looked at the emonda alr and liked the look of the externally routed chain stay. Any advice on alternatives that have stood the test of time in winter weather would be appreciated.

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I maintain my own bikes and prefer the simplicity of external cables of my winter bike. In comparison to my summer bike has internal routing.

Comparing the two, my winter bike is a joy to work on.

Cables are changed annually, at the end of each riding season so the bike is prepped ready for any surprises from our weather.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • slowmart said:

I maintain my own bikes and prefer the simplicity of external cables of my winter bike. In comparison to my summer bike has internal routing.

Comparing the two, my winter bike is a joy to work on.

Cables are changed annually, at the end of each riding season so the bike is prepped ready for any surprises from our weather.

Can I ask what bike it is that you use for winter, finding it hard to come by decent condition externally routed frames.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    You can just use a full length outer from lever to the rear derailleur cable tied to the frame. A mate does this on his winter commuter and it lasts him 2-3 year of commuting in all weathers.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    edited February 2023
    @ben_b1

Specialized Allez for winter/ commuting and a tarmac for summer. Very similar in geometry too. You can pick a half decent allez up for £400.00 off E bay. External bb, solid wheels and 105 running gear. Seriously what else do you need. As to aesthetics, forget about it, it’s a commuter which gets you there without having a mechanical, with a dry backside and a lovely glow from a cheeky bike ride first thing. And you can put some faces on the pedals on the way home, that’s if you feel the need ;-)

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • You can just use a full length outer from lever to the rear derailleur cable tied to the frame. A mate does this on his winter commuter and it lasts him 2-3 year of commuting in all weathers.

Tried this but various issues around the BB and chain stay mean a full outer can't fit. Tried with an sealed Jagwire kit but still face the issue and don't want to fork out every few months when it needs replacing.
  • slowmart said:

@ben_b1

Specialized Allez for winter/ commuting and a tarmac for summer. Very similar in geometry too. You can pick a half decent allez up for £400.00 off E bay. External bb, solid wheels and 105 running gear. Seriously what else do you need. As to aesthetics, forget about it, it’s a commuter which gets you there without having a mechanical, with a dry backside and a lovely glow from a cheeky bike ride first thing. And you can put some faces on the pedals on the way home, that’s if you feel the need ;-)

Thanks, will definitely have a look as I also have a tarmac for summer.