New wheels for my MTB for road

stone28
stone28 Posts: 26
edited February 2023 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have Bird Aether 9 on a DT Swiss XM481 and 12 speed Shimano XT (I only write this as I think it's important shimano vs SRAM for the wheels but I don't know much about this freehub or whatever it is).

If I would like to buy a cheap set of 2nd hand wheels so I can do a straight swap for one road trip (so MTB wheels and tires are not really a go here), what I need to look for? What I need to search on ebauy or facebook groups?

Probably the lowest spec I can get to still just do a swap I be able to use my XT shifters as they are. It's just for a one trip every year so I don't need anything fancy.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Radek

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    If it’s one literally for one trip every year, I would probably just buy some fast tyres and swap the tyres over.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As singleton says, for one trip a year just buy a pair of tyres and swap them when needed.
    Something around 2.1" will be ok.
    It's much easier to just swap tyres rather than swapping cassette and brake rotors and then maybe having to re-aligning brake calipers.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • But they are tubless so I think it's not that easy like in the old days right?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It's still easy.
    Remove old tyres, fit new tyres. You can set up the new tyres tubeless but for just one trip a year I'd just stick inner tubes in. You'll also have to remove the tubeless valves if you go down the inner tube route.

“Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009