Saddle shops (?) in London, or just saddle shopping.

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,662
    And the saddle bag. That needs a tighten.
  • I think the cut out saddle requirement is definitely an age thing. Never needed one
    for years until I approached my 40's, then over a period of a few months had all sorts of issues and just couldn't ride my trusted Fizik Arione without numbness. Switched to a cut out and never had any issues since.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 613
    Me too. Had a selection of saddles without cutouts which all became an issue as I got older. Tried a Spesh Power s/h from a fellow forumite and comfy from day 1.

In F.A.'s defence I was thinking the same about the shed TBH...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    edited January 2023

I think the cut out saddle requirement is definitely an age thing. Never needed one
    for years until I approached my 40's, then over a period of a few months had all sorts of issues and just couldn't ride my trusted Fizik Arione without numbness. Switched to a cut out and never had any issues since.

I sincerely hope that does not happen to me, though I am well into my 40s.

I have a raft of Ariones, including an 00, and a Cavendish special edition in black and green.
    I do have one Berk saddle as well, with no cutout, oh and a few Sycnros saddles which are also without cutout but incredibly comfortable for my @rse.

Never actually tried a saddle with a cutout - I suppose if I am comfortable there is no reason to.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Think you will be fine Dan, sure it would have happened by now.

Unfortunately, I do now have a collection of redundant Arione's, about 5 of them I think, plus a few other odds and ends!
  • daniel_b

Think you will be fine Dan, sure it would have happened by now.

Unfortunately, I do now have a collection of redundant Arione's, about 5 of them I think, plus a few other odds and ends!

Pretty strong 2nd hand market for them should you be looking to recoup some mula.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Good idea @daniel_b . I have a few other components knocking about which I had been meaning to sell. Probably time to fire up the old ebay account once again!
  • First.Aspect
    If you are testing out different sddles, how did you end up with 5 of the same shape?
  • daniel_b

If you are testing out different sddles, how did you end up with 5 of the same shape?

He's not the OP :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    daniel_b said:

He's not the OP :-)
    Still struggling to understand how one ends up with 5 of the same saddle that you don't need.
  • I had five Arione saddles used across different bikes. They were all purchased in the space of a few years and well before I needed to switch to a cutout saddle.

Once the numbness issue presented itself and it was clear I could no longer use a saddle without a cutout, each of those Arione's became redundant. It had been my saddle of choice for 10 years with no issue prior to that, hence why I had them!
  • First.Aspect
    That is genuinely a bummer.
  • First.Aspect
    I don't actually think cut outs achieve much that a flat saddle doesn't, when it comes to pressure relief. And the airone is the opposite of flat (side to side, i mean).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,811

I don't actually think cut outs achieve much that a flat saddle doesn't, when it comes to pressure relief. And the airone is the opposite of flat (side to side, i mean).

Depends on your anatomy.
  • First.Aspect

Depends on your anatomy.
    Sure, and if you like rounded saddles you do kind of need a cut out.
  • sounds like the OP has this sorted
    now but for anyone coming to the thread later on - cloud9 and foundation bike fit have a massive saddle library