Helmets

Now, after all my talk about wheels and that, something I actually need!!! My Kask Mojito is now about 6+ years old, and pretty tatty. Time for a new one, but I tried on the new Mojito and got very, very strong mushroom vibes.
What lids would anyone recommend? I need plenty of ventilation (sweaty), I have an absolute pumpkin of a head, fairly round, so some might not fit. Budget up to say £150.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Has the shape and fit of the Mojito really changed?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    edited January 2023

Has the shape and fit of the Mojito really changed?

Hiya
    Fit no, shape yes - I looked a right prong in it
    I have seen reviews saying the same on Wiggle, etc

• Abus Gamechanger, got mine for ~£70 from Amazon in November '21.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573
    Have you considered the Wasabi that they have from £125?

My personal favourites are Scott (Love the Cadence, and a bit less so the Centric) and also Lazer helmets.
    Tried the latest Genesis, having owned previous incarnations, and a review I had seen about it having a raised central bar was right, it simply didn't sit properly, so back it went.

For me, Lazer and Scott seem to have the best retention systems to fit my noggin.

Do you know what your noggin circumference is?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    edited January 2023
    secretsam said:

Now, after all my talk about wheels and that, something I actually need!!! My Kask Mojito is now about 6+ years old, and pretty tatty. Time for a new one, but I tried on the new Mojito and got very, very strong mushroom vibes.
    What lids would anyone recommend? I need plenty of ventilation (sweaty), I have an absolute pumpkin of a head, fairly round, so some might not fit. Budget up to say £150.

Weirdly I have quite a bit of experience of helmets, having had the laser z1, POC octal and currently the Kask Valegro.

Kask Valegro fits entirely with what you need.

Light, extremely airy, and i think the fit, with an extra dimension of adjustable height of the back strap, the most comfortable too.

Comes in under budget and we already know you get on with Kask helmets.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573
    I have the Z1 too, pretty nice light helmet.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Out of curiosity, do Lazer helmets fit like Kask? Any others?

I just can't do Kask at all :(
  • rick_chasey
    drhaggis said:

What's wrong with the kask for you?
  • I tend to use Giro for the lower profile shape, found various other brands give me the toadstool from Super Mario look!

Not used them but like the look of HJC, although they seem to be in short supply in the UK.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    plenty of kask protone helmets on sale at the moment for well under 150, google search finds them

definitely one of the least mushroomy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2023

drhaggis said:

What's wrong with the kask for you?
    The shape of the helmet doesn't match the shape of my head. From trying a Mojito ages ago in a shop, the M was fine in one axis, but too tight in the other. The L, on the other hand, was no longer tight in that axis, but too loose in the original. It's a similar story with Decathlon helmets. I get on well with an old Spesh Echelon II, and a Giro Cinder MIPS, but could do with a touch longer forehead in the Giro.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I think spesh is the most oblong.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    daniel_b said:

It's about 62cm (it's all that brain, you know)

• andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Obviously fit the most important which is so personal so all we can do is try as many different ones as possible, ideally in a store rather than having to ship back and forth.
    I could also do with a new lid. I had a chat with a mate who suggested an aero road helmet probably make a bigger difference than wheels, as there's 4 components to aero one of which is helmet which out the 25% difference gives nearly 100% improvement over non aero one.
    I'd also want some rotational protection like wavecell or MIPS but again I don't want spend that much.
  • Abus Gamechanger, got mine for ~£70 from Amazon in November '21.

good helmet, maybe not ideal in July…

left the forum March 2023
  • secretsam said:

daniel_b said:

It's about 62cm (it's all that brain, you know)

Giro large should fit… I like the Aeon… not cheap though

left the forum March 2023
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Look at the Bontrager Velocis.(it’s still used by Trek team). Or Met Rivale. I’ve had both as like you I don’t like mushroom head look. Both known for being well ventilated.