Dura ace 7900 compatibility with R8000

I've recently swapped out my 6700 crankset for an R8000.

All seems well but now contemplating replacing the 6700 FD & RD with R8000 but will these work with my Dura ace 7900 (10 speed) shifters ?

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pretty sure not as 8000 is 11 speed and pull ratios are different from 10 speed, but why not give it a bash and see what happens - sometimes stuff works that doesn't.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited January 2023
    The front would potentially work, but I can't see anyway that an 11spd rear derailleur has any chance of working with a 10spd front shifter, and presumably still a 10spd cassette?

Personally I would stick with what you have, and upgrade to 8000 when you can get all the parts at the same time.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2023
    i'd get a full 11 speed 105 groupset from Wiggle in their 50% off sale tbh if you want to go that way.

better than 8000, will work out cheaper.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2023
  • Rear won’t work
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mattyboy199@hotmail.com
    edited January 2023
    I'm not quite up to speed with modern groupsets, i understand you get different pull ratios between manufactures and potentially the same with different series of components.

It's a bit late to go down the full groupset replacement route, but historically i found that the shifters do all the work for the FD &RD, cable pull from a 10 speed shifter should in theory be the same on a FD/RD so as long as the cassette is the same speed (10 in this case) it should work. But if no firm answer i'll probably pass on this.
  • MattFalle
    Also remember that there were massive problems with 8000 shifters (the lefts broke all the time, at one point Shimano GB ran out of stock due to warranty exchanges) so personally I'd avoid.
  • daniel_b

I'm not quite up to speed with modern groupsets, i understand you get different pull ratios between manufactures and potentially the same with different series of components.

It's a bit late to go down the full groupset replacement route, but historically i found that the shifters do all the work for the FD &RD, cable pull from a 10 speed shifter should in theory be the same on a FD/RD so as long as the cassette is the same speed (10 in this case) it should work. But if no firm answer i'll probably pass on this.

Are you aware the R8000 groupset is 11 spd?

I think you can get away with it on the chainset you have changed, as it's able to handle the marginally wider 10 spd chain.
    The rear derailleur though will be indexed for 11 cogs, in the space (Or very close to) of a 10spd cassette.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I'm not quite up to speed with modern groupsets, i understand you get different pull ratios between manufactures and potentially the same with different series of components.

Merlin are doing big discounts on R8000 right now .Might be worth a look
  • daniel_b said:

Are you aware the R8000 groupset is 11 spd?

I think you can get away with it on the chainset you have changed, as it's able to handle the marginally wider 10 spd chain.
    The rear derailleur though will be indexed for 11 cogs, in the space (Or very close to) of a 10spd cassette.

Yes fully aware R8000 is 11 speed.

The 10 speed chain and 11 speed crank is working fine, indexing on the rear derailleur is not perfect, I imagine this due to the play in the ultegra rear derailleur but unable to find a new 10 speed unit in dura ace or ultegra. I did read that 7900 shifters were not compatible with lower end groupsets but shifts are generally good.

It's too late to go full R8000 groupset after replacing the cassette and chain in 10 speed
  • daniel_b
    You definitely need a 10 spd rear derailleur in that case, assuming your current one is not performing well?

So something like a 105 5700, or Ultegra 6700 would do the job.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mattyboy199@hotmail.com
    edited February 2023
    It generally performs ok just some side to side play I noticed when changing bits last month. Ideally 7900 upgrade to match the shifters would be great