cycling videos please

pep.fermi
pep.fermi Posts: 330
My turbotrainer is still the cheapest version one could buy 20+ yr ago, so no smart or internet connection or anything. Every second on it is ultraboring.
Youtube videos from GCN are great to kill the time.

Any other suggestion? Ideally not too short, say 30-90min would be great.
Or any on Netflix?

Thanks,
Alberto

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,737
    edited January 2023
    A personal opinion. If I can follow anything on TV I am not training hard enough.
    If I am training hard enough I can't follow the TV. So I don't watch TV.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The only time I’ve watched stuff on the turbo is when I’ve attempted to do a long steady effort. Which I found a very unpleasant experience.
    So I just do 10 minutes warm up then so an interval session then 10 minutes warm down. I just leave any longer riding when I get outside. Seems to work ok.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    pep.fermi said:

My turbotrainer is still the cheapest version one could buy 20+ yr ago, so no smart or internet connection or anything. Every second on it is ultraboring.
    Youtube videos from GCN are great to kill the time.

Any other suggestion? Ideally not too short, say 30-90min would be great.
    Or any on Netflix?

Thanks,
    Alberto

Sorry. I don’t have any specific recommendations as I’ll flip between bbc iPlayer and Amazon prime to find something that’ll work. A regular series drama for steady tempo rides, action movies for intervals, etc. Sometimes I find I need multiple distractions so I’ll then put on subtitles which I read for further distractions. What about podcasts?

As Pb said above I find when I’m doing harder intervals I lose what’s happening on tv, so I’ll play appropriate music to go with the level of suffering and the tv pictures just become background movement.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited January 2023
    Anything at all you want - if you do a long steady session you can watch it, if you're mashing its just there for distraction.

problem with just GCN is that unless its Manon and Oli and that other dude who's been there for years who fell over cx'ing they are quite dull, especially that guy who horribly fuckredup the Madone he tried to make lighweight on a budget.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I used a video of a guy climbing Alpe d’Huez, and cranked up the gradient on the device, to simulate an 8% Climb… it was on YouTube, easy to find.
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I've used a number of the GCN ones and still "enjoy" riding to the ones older with Matt Stephens, Daniel Lloyd etc. Not keen on some of the newer ones as it's like the presenters are all more scripted and all sessions are their favourites and really hard, even when it's 10 minutes.
    Also use some CTXC ones - varying lengths from about 20 - 120 minutes. Very simplistic, pretty much just repeated efforts of 30 - 90 seconds across almost all of their that I've done but if I don't want to think too much but want something to follow so I don't cop out of completing the session then these work for me.