Vel wheels - Sigma

Hi all, anyone used these? Reviews look OK and value is good, any verdicts?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Seem fine… Pillar spokes are not the best, but they are not the worst either… rims are much of a much easier these days and these seem to be on par with Prime, so quite good. Build quality will probably be the difference between them giving you troubles or not
    left the forum March 2023
  • Bought a pair of those 50 RL when they were ~£360 last November, look great but not used them yet.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,606
    edited January 2023
    On sale they look to be excellent value, though do check the specified maximum tyre widths, they seem to be a lot lower than the general recommended tyre widths a certain rim width should be able to accommodate.

I asked a question on one of the disc wheel pages, and they replied to confirm that the max for that wheel was indeed 34mm.

Weights are reasonable, but nothing amazing - the Cero wheels seem to have a lighter weight if that is of concern, though likely a fair bit more, versus the VEL's on sale.

I particularly like the branding - very subtle.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I got the VEL 50 RL for £339 a couple of weeks ago, which is tremendous value. They're now up to £549, which is still a good price, but glad I bought them when I did!

They look to be well made from decent components, and everything about their packaging, presentation and looks seems high quality.

I’ve been using them on a new Basso Venta / SRAM Force AXS disc brake winter bike project in some atrocious conditions over the past week, so I’ll be interested so see how well the bearings hold up.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    edited January 2023
    I have a set of 38RL disc brake wheels . I have done about 1000 miles on them and they run true.
    All this "roll well " and "spin up quick" bull is lost on me. They are OK wheels at a good price ( £495?). Weight was close to the spec. I like them and would buy again.
    Free wheel noise is a bit loud for me.