0-100 by end of May?

So, on an impulse, I signed up to do a 100 mile ride at the end of May, for Charity (I'm nearly 54, typical MAMIL, full time job).

I've done 100 before, that's not a problem. The issue is, following a dislocated shoulder last summer, which wrecked all my summer plans, and then a winter of poor health (culminating in six weeks off the bike before new year), I literally haven't ridden at all for two months, piling on weight in the meantime.

If it were only for me, I wouldn't be so bothered, but I need to make sure I put in a good performance for the charity, as I'll be sponsored, and as I still haven't been on the bike this year (recurrence of a chest infection), I'm concerned I won't be fit in time.

I need to make a decision if I'm going to pull out, so they can find a replacement.

Thoughts?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    edited January 2023
    Sounds like a lot of pressure to me, as someone who hasn't done much in the way of 100Km+ rides in the last few years.

Having said that, I spontaneously bought some of those cheap train tickets available in May '22 and did ~80 miles around the hills near Longleat Centerparcs over ~7 hours, albeit I was in quite good shape from lots of sub 20min z5 Zwift sprint races from Jan to April.

But everyone's different.

Got a turbo trainer to conservatively build up saddle time?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have done what you are hoping to do in the past. Snapped my Achilles in January and then rode 100 mile sportive in May. I was 6 weeks in an air boot. I was allowed to use the turbo in March doing this to a pain threshold if it got above 4 out of 10 I had to stop. Did my first ride outside in April 10 miles again stopping when I got discomfort. By the end of April I was able to ride 60 miles and I just continued to build up for ride on May 22nd.
    Once I was pain free I was doing more structured intervals on the turbo and on my short road rides.
    The sportive was the target /goal I needed to get fit again. I also was doing an upper body weight training programme when I couldn’t walk with the air boot.
    I suspect I will doing the same again this year as I’m have hip surgery later this month.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    edited January 2023

Sounds like a lot of pressure to me, as someone who hasn't done much in the way of 100Km+ rides in the last few years.

LOL it's 100 miles, albeit flat! (Ride London Essex)

Got a turbo trainer to conservatively build up saddle time?

Yes, but not ridden at all since mid-Nov, and still not 100% following respiratory issues over Xmas.

@webboo: crumbs, I thought I was bad! Best wishes for a speedy recovery

• If you've done it before, then as long as you get back into cycling with a couple of months to go, you should be fine to get round.

Stop piling on the weight if you want to make it at all fun though.
  • secretsam

The anti-pie initiative has already begun! :D

• 5 months prep time and you have the experience of having done it before, I would think you will be fine.

As above, try and keep the weight down though and get back into good habits, even if it is just until May!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    secretsam said:

The anti-pie initiative has already begun! :D
    You can eat plenty on the 100 miler 👍 Get riding again. Squeeze in a 50/60 mile ride before the big day and you’ll be fine. Pick an easy gear and take your time.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I'm sure you'll be fine, a friend of mine did the old Ride London when it was through Surrey, similar age, reasonably fit, but did little cycling. He borrowed a cheap Pinnacle road bike off another friend and just rode at his own pace.
  • secretsam

I'm sure you'll be fine, a friend of mine did the old Ride London when it was through Surrey, similar age, reasonably fit, but did little cycling. He borrowed a cheap Pinnacle road bike off another friend and just rode at his own pace.

Yeah, I did the old Surrey route (2015), and although I went OK, I wasn't on top form and really ran out of steam towards the end. I want to really feel like I got on top of this, if it makes any sense.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The event I did was the Lincoln Arrow which isn’t the hilly ride by any standards but does hit the Lincolnshire wolds at the end with short climbs around 15%. I managed to do the 99 miles in 5 hrs 33 mins mainly riding solo. So if I could manage that having not really used my legs for 6 weeks at one point then clearly it’s possible for you to your ride well.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    secretsam said:

Yeah, I did the old Surrey route (2015), and although I went OK, I wasn't on top form and really ran out of steam towards the end. I want to really feel like I got on top of this, if it makes any sense.
    Even the lump of a former partying PM did Ride London didn't he?
    Key is to get over your chest infection first, then you'll be fine I'm sure.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Initially aim to take control of your diet, reset that, ensure quality calories and sleep then build your saddle time when you’ve recovered.

We don’t usually regret things we’ve done, only the things we didn’t do.

Forget the ‘decent performance’ refocus on the important thing, taking part and enjoying the day. Times don’t matter except on strava and then someone’s always quicker .

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • secretsam
    Hi all, really appreciate the support and advice you've given, but I'm afraid I've had to withdraw, not least because my kids (twins) are doing their A-levels then, plus I'm still not recovered from Xmas virus.
    Bu99er.