British Honours

1235»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    webboo said:

How about Steve Peat? 3 x world MTB DH champ?

It seems the way to the honours list for cyclist is the Olympics. Rachel Atherton won just about every thing in Downhill MB and only got the Sundaytimes sportswomen of the year for all her effort
    Hard to imagine she got into the sport dreaming of winning some meaningless athlete of the year gong.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719

Pross said:

My 19 year old daughter certainly knows who Monroe was but Audrey Hepburn is her style icon.

I find the idea of not knowing people from before you were born a bit odd. I’m even aware that England won a football World Cup years before I was born (I even recognise and can name some of the team).

I think it is common to know people who were born before you, because the older generation go on about them a lot. The generation after that then only know about them if they were historically significant. This is very evident if you do the Times crossword where references to famous people are those known by people aged 70+ (and rarely known by me).

When I mentioned to my daughter that Gianluca Vialli had died she said who?

When I explained he played alongside Maldini when they won the Scudetto for Sampdoria I had to explain who Maldini is, what Scudetto means and she'd never heard of Sampdoria either.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

Pross said:

My 19 year old daughter certainly knows who Monroe was but Audrey Hepburn is her style icon.

I find the idea of not knowing people from before you were born a bit odd. I’m even aware that England won a football World Cup years before I was born (I even recognise and can name some of the team).

I think it is common to know people who were born before you, because the older generation go on about them a lot. The generation after that then only know about them if they were historically significant. This is very evident if you do the Times Icrossword where references to famous people are those known by people aged 70+ (and rarely known by me).

When I explained he played alongside Maldini when they won the Scudetto for Sampdoria I had to explain who Maldini is, what Scudetto means and she'd never heard of Sampdoria either.
    It's no surprise she was confused, as Maldini never played for Sampdoria.

I think you mean Mancini.
  • Mancini yes… what has been brushed under the carpets was the way Vialli doubled in size over the course of one summer as he moved from Sampdoria to Juventus, under the “care” of Ventrone and Dr. Agricola. A few years later, the team doctor was radiated from the profession for abuse of medications, which some also refer to as doping.
    Unfortunately, I fear Vialli’s pancreatic cancer was the result of that deplorable treatment…
    Compared to cycling, they all got away very lightly, with no harm to their career, including Conte, who now manages Tottenham, Whose hematocrit was proverbially high.
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Start with the basics. Does she know what Italy and football are? ;)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    andyp said:

Pross said:

I think it is common to know people who were born before you, because the older generation go on about them a lot. The generation after that then only know about them if they were historically significant. This is very evident if you do the Times Icrossword where references to famous people are those known by people aged 70+ (and rarely known by me).

Yes thanks I did !

Pretty certain I said Mancini to her !!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

andyp said:

Pross said:

Yes thanks I did !

Pretty certain I said Mancini to her !!
    You should have said he also wrote the Pink Panther theme.