[X] of the year, 2022

So now the year is drawing to the end, I can’t seem to find a thread on best somethings of the year, so I’ll kick off the discussion (all men’s as that’s what I know) - I didn’t watch all that much this year. Life getting in the way a lot.

Best ride of the year: WvA, the entire Tour

Rider of the year: Pog, right?

Team of the year: Jumbo Visma

Race of the year: The Tour!

Day’s racing of the year: stage 11 TdF (when jumbo started attacking on the Gallibier)

Best one day race of the year: Flanders

One day racer of the year: Evenepoel (Zzzzzz)

Comments

• Ride of the year: WvA stage 4 TdF

Descent of the year: Pidcock down Galibier
  • Ride of the year… I’m tempted to say Ganna going under 4 minutes in the pursuit… it’s such an iconic time, it means breaking the 60kph barrier… it’s like the 4 minute mile… in my opinion more iconic than the Hour he did.
    I know the American guy had already gone under 4 minutes, but it was in Aguascalientes and I don’t tend to give much value to those times, especially for short rides.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I would probably have WVA has rider of the year as well as ride of the year. I feel that Pog’s attempt to show you can challenge all year including the Tour will have reinforced the wisdom of the last 30 years or so that if you want to win the Tour you can’t focus on much else.
  • I'd say Evenepoel - a monument, World champs and a GT in one season.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217

Ride of the year… I’m tempted to say Ganna going under 4 minutes in the pursuit… it’s such an iconic time, it means breaking the 60kph barrier… it’s like the 4 minute mile… in my opinion more iconic than the Hour he did.
    I know the American guy had already gone under 4 minutes, but it was in Aguascalientes and I don’t tend to give much value to those times, especially for short rides.

Track though innit
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2022

I'd say Evenepoel - a monument, World champs and a GT in one season.

His style of victory is such a snooze to watch I struggle to get excited. Plus, worlds aside, anything after July is worth less (to me)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    edited December 2022

I'd say Evenepoel - a monument, World champs and a GT in one season.

His style of victory is such a snooze to watch I struggle to get excited. Plus, worlds aside, anything after July is worth less (to me)
    It's been a year when victories are shared out - hard to agree with Pog for rider of the year when he didn't win his main target. (and his biggest win of the year was well after July).
  • rick_chasey
    In the hunt from liege to Lombardi with a very very good 2nd in the Tour.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    WvA is rider of the year. Took Omloop and E3, 3 stages at the Tour, with green jersey while working for Vingegaard, podiums at two monuments
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Ride of the Year. Mohoric at MSR

Rider. WvA

Team. Jumbo

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mohoric was definitely plan that came off of the year.
  • Mohoric was definitely plan that came off of the year.

I raced Mohoric on ROUVY… just saying…
    left the forum March 2023