British Honours

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,137
edited December 2022 in Pro race
This will be in the news soon. I don't take this too seriously*, but it does show the place of cycling with the establishment. As far as I can tell the only person with an honour without a track gold is Chris Froome OBE. Jason Cundy & Victoria Pendleton have the higher CBE

So here are who should have awards

Sir
Chris Boardman (for stuff beyond the sport) - currently MBE
Chris Froome - currently OBE

CBE
Mark Cavendish - currently MBE

OBE
Lizzie Deignan
Rod Ellingworth

MBE
Simon Yates
Tao G Hart
Philippa York
Barry Hoban
Sean Yates
Mandy Jones
Mick Bennett

Essentially I am baffled that Matt Walls can have an honour while Lizzie D doesn't.

*Full disclosure, my grandfather got an MBE and as a result I was christened in St Paul's cathedral
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• Not a fan of such honours for sport. Firstly, sport has its own prizes and so additional honours feel superfluous, other than if Bloggs got a gong for something then it’s odd if Jones doesn’t subsequently get the same gong for the same achievement. Secondly, there is far too much subjectivity involved, which should not sit well with any sportsperson other than gymnasts, figure skaters, divers and ski jumpers.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Not really a fan of these things - I'd like to think I'd turn one down in the unlikely event I was ever offered one. Closest I've ever come was a mate's dad got either (I think) a CBE or MBE for his work at Rolls Royce - the aero engine firm not the car maker.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Not a fan of such honours for sport. Firstly, sport has its own prizes and so additional honours feel superfluous, other than if Bloggs got a gong for something then it’s odd if Jones doesn’t subsequently get the same gong for the same achievement. Secondly, there is far too much subjectivity involved, which should not sit well with any sportsperson other than gymnasts, figure skaters, divers and ski jumpers.

Agree, but giving awards to people who already got awards is a British thing… it’s the same in Science, they give out prizes to researchers, essentially for having gained other awards.
    left the forum March 2023
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,046
    edited December 2022
    What really winds me up is people who include their OBE or MBE in their business email address. Eg Norman.nonentity-obe@obscuregovernmentdepartment.gov.uk

I’m not mad keen on inclusion of gong references in social media names either.
  • I would have thought G would be worth more than an OBE.

Initially, I thought you'd meant it would be awarded for services to banter but he does actually run a charitable trust, so, foix, fair play.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Cav ought to be sir ahead of Froome.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

I would have thought G would be worth more than an OBE.

Initially, I thought you'd meant it would be awarded for services to banter but he does actually run a charitable trust, so, foix, fair play.
    no he doesn't.

he's not the Settlor or a trustee and going by their F/S they haven't done anything.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

Cav ought to be sir ahead of Froome.

utter bollox

neither of them should
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022

no and not even that
  • MattFalle
    no sportsperson should get a gong.

a honour for riding a bicycle or kicking a football?

jog right on.
  • Cav ought to be sir ahead of Froome.

The Green Knight.

It would be more honourable to pay tax… most of these folks are well advised on how to be tax efficient.
    I never quite understood hiding away money so that they can replace government and hand it back the way they prefer… which is the one that gets more likes typically.
    Fuchs charity… pay tax instead!
  • rick_chasey
    Not sure this lot get the game Rich, soz.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

This will be in the news soon. I don't take this too seriously*, but it does show the place of cycling with the establishment. As far as I can tell the only person with an honour without a track gold is Chris Froome OBE. Jason Cundy & Victoria Pendleton have the higher CBE

So here are who should have awards

Sir
    Chris Boardman (for stuff beyond the sport) - currently MBE
    Chris Froome - currently OBE

CBE
    Mark Cavendish - currently MBE

OBE
    Lizzie Deignan
    Rod Ellingworth

MBE
    Simon Yates
    Tao G Hart
    Philippa York
    Barry Hoban
    Sean Yates
    Mandy Jones
    Mick Bennett

Essentially I am baffled that Matt Walls can have an honour while Lizzie D doesn't.

*Full disclosure, my grandfather got an MBE and as a result I was christened in St Paul's cathedral

If I were gonna rank, I’d go more on “what they’ve done for cycling” rather than palmares and there Cav is just bigger than Froome and beyond Hoy and Wiggins he’s had a vast impact on British cycling and he’s genuinely a contender for GOAT sprinter which deserves recognition.
  • MattFalle

It would be more honourable to pay tax… most of these folks are well advised on how to be tax efficient.
    I never quite understood hiding away money so that they can replace government and hand it back the way they prefer… which is the one that gets more likes typically.
    he doesn't run a charity

he has put no money into the charity

the charity is nothing to do with his tax planning
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022

what game? rewarding prople who have already rewarddd for riding a bicycle?
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2022
    Matt, can you f@ck off back to cake stop and stop ruining threads on pro race?

If you don’t believe in honours, how about not posting in the honours thread? 👍🏻
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited December 2022
    I've not got enough random useless memory to remember who has what but if I was ranking...

God Tier
    Wiggo
    Hoy

Premier League
    Froome
    Cav
    Lizzie
    The Family Kenny

First Division
    Vicky P
    GT
    Ed Clancy
    Katie Archibald
    Both Yates
    TGH (?)
    Evie Richards (assuming a constant trajectory)
    David Millar - services to overpriced kit

Token minimum honors when they retire
    Adam Blythe
    Alex Dowsett - services to riding in cirles
    Luke Rowe
    Lil pete
    Yogi - services for comedy
    Lizzie banks
    Eli barker (flirting with promotion for sure)
    Georgie Pffeiffer (you won't convince me)
    Ben Swift

Everyone else I can think of whilst making a coffee needs to do/win a bit more. Overly historical figures I didn't consider cos the kettle boiled...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle said:

he doesn't run a charity

But… they knighted Murray, who I think lives in Monaco, probably hardly pays any tax and no doubt makes significant donations to various charities.
    Pretty much anyone who is someone manages to live in Monaco… I don’t blame them, it’s nice and I would do the same if I could, but knighthood? Maybe not… I would probably feel embarrassed and turn it down

• MattFalle

what game?

Matt, can you f@ck off back to cake stop and stop ruining threads on pro race?

If you don’t believe in honours, how about not posting in the honours thread? 👍🏻

no.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    MattFalle said:

no sportsperson should get a gong.

a honour for riding a bicycle or kicking a football?

jog right on.

If anyone deserves a Knighthood in any walk of life it’s Kevin Sinfield and he’s a sportsperson albeit the award wouldn’t be for sporting achievement.
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

I've not got enough random useless memory to remember who has what but if I was ranking...

God Tier
    Wiggo
    Hoy

Premier League
    Froome
    Cav
    Lizzie
    The Family Kenny

First Division
    Vicky P
    GT
    Ed Clancy
    Katie Archibald
    Both Yates
    TGH (?)

Adam Blythe
    Luke Rowe
    Lil pete
    Lizzie banks
    Ben Swift

Everyone else I can think of whilst making a coffee needs to do/win a bit more. Overly historical figures I didn't consider cos the kettle boiled...

I’m struggling to work out why Wiggins is ranked two levels higher than Thomas and above Froome.

Also, who is Georgie Pffeiffer? I assume you mean Pfeifer Georgi in which case I’m surprised she gets a mention especially as Zoe Backstedt is completely ignored.
  • ddraver
    edited December 2022
    I humbly and totally apologize for trying to have a bit of fun and join in a game.

I should have known that was illegal on the internet.

Why are we called Po Face again...?
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Graeme Obree, for his innovative and individual means to an end?
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

I humbly and totally apologize for trying to have a bit of fun and join in a game.

I should have known that was illegal on the internet.

Why are we called Po Face again...?

Sorry, I assumed it was fun based on some sort of system.
  • ddraver said:

God Tier
    Wiggo
    Hoy

Premier League
    Froome
    Cav
    Lizzie
    The Family Kenny

First Division
    Vicky P
    GT
    Ed Clancy
    Katie Archibald
    Both Yates
    TGH (?)

Adam Blythe
    Luke Rowe
    Lil pete
    Lizzie banks
    Ben Swift

Harsh on Jason Kenny to be at anything other than the highest level. His Kierin win last year deserves God Tier on its own!

I'd nudge Ed Clancy and Queen Vic up a notch too.

And as a wild card, I'd add Rebecca Romero in at First Division. She was a very strange character and wasn't around very long, but she was bl**dy good.

Lizzie maybe a notch too high. But only maybe.

• ddraver
    RR was the one I was trying to remember! Saw her riding Llandegla once...

God Tier is for those who have transcended cycling IMO. The ones "the man digging a hole in the road" would know.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

God Tier is for those who have transcended cycling IMO. The ones "the man digging a hole in the road" would know.

Fair point. JK does not exactly flaunt his marketing potential!

• MattFalle said:

he doesn't run a charity

But… they knighted Murray, who I think lives in Monaco, probably hardly pays any tax and no doubt makes significant donations to various charities.
    Pretty much anyone who is someone manages to live in Monaco… I don’t blame them, it’s nice and I would do the same if I could, but knighthood? Maybe not… I would probably feel embarrassed and turn it down

I think Murray lives in Leatherhead. (Per Wiki, so may be wrong.)