refit tubleless tyre

I've successfully fitted new tubeless tyres with a track pump but I'm having no luck refitting a two year old tyre. The beads are sitting in the rim channel and are not moving at all towards the edges. I'm guessing the issue is that the older tyre has lost its elacticity. Before I invest in a compressed air pump I wanted to ask wether anyone has succeeded in refitting an older tyre. Would a compressed air pump do the trick?

Thanks and best wishes,

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    I had similar issue with a used but still good tread-wise tyre. I'd broken off the valve stem by accident. Refit failed to seal multiple times.
    Took it to LBS where it again failed to bed to the rim properly with guy using the power pump. Tyre or rim problem?
    Eventually decided enough, got him to fit a new tyre and first time got the loud bed-in pop noise of the tyre fitting to the rim correctly.
    Perhaps the sealant inside the tyre wall reduces flexibility over time?
  • I have had both success and failure with refitting tubeless tyres.
    I have a compressor so I don't think that was the deciding factor.
    The ones that failed to refit were a similar experience to Orraloon
  • Ditto with this similar problem very recently with an older Hutchinson Overide 38mm tyre. I had a new tyre handy (exactly the same) so just went for that in the end as didn’t have a lot of time….. as ever. Not binned the original, but did spend some time cleaning it up the other evening as it’s got plenty of life in it. ( I’d suffered a p******e on it… ) Removed lots of the old tubeless gunk which I think may stopped it from sealing. New one went on with 2nd attempt with a track pump.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    You could try using an extra layer of rim tape this has worked for me in the past and was a solution given by Malcolm (the cycle clinic). The tyres/beads stretch over time which is the issue I believe.
  • ed1973
    ed1973 Posts: 284
    I have in the past had some right pig tyres to sit on the bead. My last resort was to fit a strap around the whole tyre and ratchet it down a bit. Doing this forced the bead to push out towards the rim. Inflate a bit at a time (with my ghetto extinguisher inflater), keep realising the strap a bit at a time. It’s a bit fiddly but has worked more than it hasn’t.
  • oneoff
    oneoff Posts: 29
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Make sure the old tyres rim bead is clean and free from old sealant
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    itboffin said:

Make sure the old tyres rim bead is clean and free from old sealant

Indeed. Though in my problem example above, I had stripped as much of the set sealant off the inner tyre walls as I could plus the wheel rim was shiny clean. The old tyre just would not bed to the rim. And I used the soapy water etc, to no effect. Had not had similar issues fitting new tyres several times.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I had the same in the end new rim tape and valve plus a lot of swearing and they’ve been fine since.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.