Wattbike Atom Handlebar Adjuster Screw rounded off and can’t remove.

Hi.
I have a Wattbike Atom which I love, but it has a weak spot which is the adjuster screw for adjusting the reach of the handlebars. Normally left in one position for my use, but have been moving it for my son’s use who is staying with us till Jan.
To adjust you have to use a Hex Key and despite using grease the bolt has seized and now the head has rounded off. ( I’d tried using dismantling fluid overnight.)
I have a replacement bolt to fit, but despite removing the front stem to access the bottom of the bolt where there is a retaining nut this nut is also seized. I have applied wd40/ dismantling fluid once more. I can get grippers around it ( just) but it won’t shift either.
Any thoughts please?
I’ve read about glueing a spare hex key in place and also inserting a bolt extractor although I don’t have a reversible drill… can probably borrow one.
Any thoughts/ suggestions please? Have reassembled everything so can ride the Atom in the interim whilst I seek a solution.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Pictures below showing in place and dismantled.

Comments

• I don’t see a reason to torque that bolt, which is probably the initial mistake, little more than hand tight would be my go to place for an indoor trainer. There are ways to extract it, but I have never personally used any of those bits. Any chance a Torx key might fit in the slot, or a large flat screwdriver?
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    A torx bit that's a fraction too tight hammered in should do the job.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    as per V - smack a torx bit in, grip and undo from below.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,567
    That `nut` underneath will be captive and won't turn, so undo from the bolt.
  • Thanks all. It’s the one weakness of the Atom in that you have to tighten it up a fair bit to get it seated. It’s in prime position for sweat to drop on it even with a towel over it which I think has contributed to it seizing! I will give the Torx key a go - good suggestions TY all as ever! Not going to attempt it before Christmas in case all goes wrong and am left without use! All is back in place, but not able to adjust the handlebar which is not a problem if just me using.
    I’ve ordered and received one of these which is a much improved design and will ensure easy adjustment. Beautifully designed product sent out v promptly
    https://www.particlecomponents.com/product-page/wattbike-atom-handlebar-adjuster-screw
    Wattbike also v helpful in sending out a replacement bolt…
    but as I say not a great initial design having to use a hex key to adjust. My Wattbike Pro was much easier to adjust the length.
    Will update when I have a go!
  • Quick update!
    Fantastic customer service from Wattbike who are dispatching a new top block and slider to enable me to fit. Really impressed by their help and response. So good to have a company who respond so quickly.
    I will try the Torx method too once the new parts have arrived so that I have a spare too!
    Thanks again for the suggestions
    Molteni
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I can’t see what size Allen key it is. If it was a 6mm and rounded off you might be able to hammer in an imperial 1/4” Allen key in to the hole. If it was 5mm then a 7/32 might do the same.
  • A bigger torx bit tapped in will get it out ,
  • TY both Mully and Trevor. I have an elderly neighbour who I am sure will have an imperial set of Allen keys and failing that will source a set of torx after Christmas..
    I could do with a set in any case.
    Workshop Forum of Bike Radar is always super helpful and I’ve learnt much from the posts!