beach and ride holiday - Majorca vs Canaria

Planning the next family holiday.

Ideally making everybody in the family happy, so the sporty (me) and the not-sporty ones (wife and teen daugther), looking at either Mallorca or Gran Canaria, so there's both beach and hilly cycling. Never been there yet.

How do the two compare?
Thanks,

Alberto

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    When are you looking to go?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    GC is far more mountainous and challenging riding and there's not really any option but mountains. Mallorca probably has a bit more to do for kids, if the beach gets boring.
  • GC is far more mountainous and challenging riding and there's not really any option but mountains. Mallorca probably has a bit more to do for kids, if the beach gets boring.

Thanks.

• pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 330
    edited December 2022

When are you looking to go?

Early April
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Someone may correct me as I've never been but I believe that wind can be an issue in GC.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
    Weather in Mallorca can still be variable in early April, but it does offer a great variety of cycling. Even if it's bad weather in the mountains, you may still be ok riding around the rest of the island.
  • Yeah, don't know why people rave about the Canaries as a cycling destination... it's just a wall of wind most of the time
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect

Yeah, don't know why people rave about the Canaries as a cycling destination... it's just a wall of wind most of the time

Gran Canaria is quite well forested up in the caldera and when you get into the valleys away from the coast it can be sheltered. I didn't notice the wind to be honest. I was too distracted squinting through the tears of pain.

I can't be any windier than Scotland anyway.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,591
    South Coast weather in Canaries will be much better than Majorca at the time you are going for the family. Not done GC yet but I love Tenerife at that time of year for cycling/family holiday ... weather in Majorca has always put me off for that.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • First.Aspect
    There's also a nudist beach in the south, if you are interested in kiwi fruit.
  • There's also a nudist beach in the south, if you are interested in kiwi fruit.

I'm a climbing fanatic. And they like reading books and relaxing.
    Nudism not exactly our thing but thanks for pointing it out, you never know.
  • Both will be shorts and t-shirt weather but the wind in GC means it won't be a lie on the beach holiday. I'd do Majorca.
  • Interesting, never thought or heard about the wind being an issue in the Canary islands.

Majorca also appears to be a little less expensive. Pity the hills are not as big.

Thanks all for now.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited December 2022
    We had a great time in Port d'Alcudia in Majorca in September.
    I rode out to the lighthouse a couple of days, and the rest of the time we chilled.
    Enjoyed it so much we are going back next May, but April may be a bit too early if you want to be able to sunbathe.
  • First.Aspect
    Mallorca hills are big enough particularly after a UK winter, and nicely graded. The big climb out of Soller is a good 50 mins plus for most people, and the famous one sa Colabra takes 40ish mins. There are a multitude of routes with other climbs that are each shorter, but you will feel like you've spent the whole day going up hill. I really wouldn't worry.

To put some numbers on it, I've not been for a while, but when my legs permit I do a 120km loop with about 2500m of climbing split between 5 named "cols".
  • pblakeney
    pep.fermi said:

Interesting, never thought or heard about the wind being an issue in the Canary islands.

Majorca also appears to be a little less expensive. Pity the hills are not as big.

Thanks all for now.

My 100 mile loop from Port Pollenca to Valldemossa and back via Bunyola and the Orient includes 2783m climbing. Fairly sufficient. 😉 You could add on Sa Calobra if you wish.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Not been to GC but I have experienced the wind in Lanzarote and Tenerife and it can be a real pain. I also found the landscape a bit boring in Lanzarote. Perhaps GC is a bit more varied though.
    Mallorca, on the other hand, is a cycling paradise in my opinion. The weather in April should be good - not baking hot like July, but short sleeves should be fine for most rides. Lots of variety of terrain, especially in the north and west. The east coast is nice, but not the greatest for cycling. Also, you might find that not everything opens until June so you might be somewhat limited for restaurants, bars etc.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Thanks a lot everybody, very informative and helpful
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    crescent said:

Not been to GC but I have experienced the wind in Lanzarote and Tenerife and it can be a real pain. I also found the landscape a bit boring in Lanzarote. Perhaps GC is a bit more varied though.
    Mallorca, on the other hand, is a cycling paradise in my opinion. The weather in April should be good - not baking hot like July, but short sleeves should be fine for most rides. Lots of variety of terrain, especially in the north and west. The east coast is nice, but not the greatest for cycling. Also, you might find that not everything opens until June so you might be somewhat limited for restaurants, bars etc.

We were over in the East of the island earlier this year and really enjoyed the cycling. There aren't the big climbs of the Tramuntana but plenty of little gems, Ermita de Betlem, San Salvador etc. Loads of lovely quiet back roads and pretty villages to stop in. Was ideal for me as I was mostly restricted to half day rides while Mrs B stayed by the pool.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Also OP, if you decide on Mallorca, definitely get one of these maps. All the best cycling roads are marked so they're ideal for route planning. They sell them in the bike shops over there...

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495

Yeah, don't know why people rave about the Canaries as a cycling destination... it's just a wall of wind most of the time

There's a reason that it's a popular destination for sports like windsurfing.
  • I don't remember Gran Canaria being particularly windy. Maybe at the very top it is more exposed.

April should be lovely there, it can be a bit cold and wet up the mountain in winter but April should be fine.
  • First.Aspect
    I can't believe a bunch of cyclists from a cold windy rock in the North Atlantic are equivocating about cycling in the face of a warm breeze off the coast of Africa.
  • crescent
    edited December 2022
    It is warm at least, but more than a breeze a lot of the time. I love the Canaries for a winter break but the wind takes a bit of the enjoyment out of it. It was over 40mph for several days the last time I was there. I still went out cycling but probably against my better judgement. Headwinds were brutal, tailwinds were fantastic but the crosswinds were just plain scary. There is a reason Fuerteventura is named Fuerteventura. GCN did a Gran Canaria bucket list ride feature a few years ago and it looked amazing. I think they may have commented that it is slightly less windy than the other islands.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • crescent
    mrb123 said:

We were over in the East of the island earlier this year and really enjoyed the cycling. There aren't the big climbs of the Tramuntana but plenty of little gems, Ermita de Betlem, San Salvador etc. Loads of lovely quiet back roads and pretty villages to stop in. Was ideal for me as I was mostly restricted to half day rides while Mrs B stayed by the pool.

Yeah, I still enjoyed it but not as much as Puerto Pollensa or Port de Soller. The Betlem climb is nice, albeit like cycling on a Scalextric track.

• pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Been to both - Family only came to Mallorca.
    GC has more chance of warmer weather but Mallorca can also be very nice around that time. GC is nowhere near as windy as Lanzarote/ Tenerife.
    If your going to GC you will stay in south ( to be near beaches) and have to ride up into the hills but nice end to a ride. Its a fabulous island for cycling - The further into the middle and north you go the more amazing it gets ....
    Mallorca will have more to offer for non cycling party. You can stay at beach in Palma (Can Pastilla is nice area ) and get out on good bike rides but also can explore Palma itself. Lovely bikepath around the bay that all of you could do.
    Also very near airport etc...
  • Not sure Mallorca early April- I've known friends go to "training camps" in April and been in full winter gear some years...
  • pblakeney
    April same location less than 24 hours apart. The shack before Col de Reiss. Tea and coffees all round to combat hypothermia v roasty toasty. #1 very much the exception.

Veronese68 wrote: