Mavic ksyrium 30 disc

Hi folks,

I have a Cube Attain Race 2021, and I have had quite a bit of trouble with the CUBE RA 1.9 Aero Disc wheels on her. The rear wheel of the first pair seized on me, looks like the replacement pair is gone also.

Long story short, poor maintenance on my part is partially to blame, but the upshot is they need replacing. The local bike shop said after the last service that what I need are wheels with sealed bearings that are easy to service, ideally with cartridge bearings I guess.

He recommended replacing it with a set of Bontrager, quoting around €600+ for a "mid-range" pair. He didn't specify a model over the phone, but I am guessing it is the Bontrager Paradigm Comp he is thinking of?

However the spotty teenagers in the local Decathlon recommended a pair of Mavic Ksyrium 30 disc @ €330 a pair from Decathlon, or €230 from Bike Discount. These looked like they had sealed bearings when I looked at them in the shop. The spotty teenager says they do, and they get quite good reviews.

My frugal nature is drawing me towards the Mavic Ksyrium, €600+ feels like a lot to spend on wheels for €1150 bike. However I am well aware now, after all the difficulty with the Cube Wheels, that spending more money on the Bontragers might be a smarter move.

Any guidance on my best move is welcome.

Ray K

Comments

• I'm unsure why the wheels would sieze up after a service or why the shop would say you need sealed bearings .Assuming they are cup and cone I've always found them better and no easier or worse to service .
    What actually was wrong with them ,what part siezed up ?
    Mavic are good wheels and they have good customer service ,Personally I like the prime range at wiggle ,good quality and the last 60mm carbon set I replaced a hub on it was all DT Swiss parts on them and they arecall sealed bearings
    The
    Prime Attaquer V2 Disc Wheelset is around 300 and might be worth a look
  • Thanks Trevor

The first set of Cube RAs - you can entirely blame poor work on my part, a smaller ball bearing got into where it shouldn't have been and did the damage.

The second set of Cube RAs I picked up on the Irish local ebay as a "temporary solution" for v.little money, I serviced them but they were never 100%, there was play in the rear wheel from the start. Bike shop guy says replace them, with my €600 Bontragers :) .

They were a cup and cone affair, some photos here and here (I replaced the seal in the second photo).

I like the look of Mavic's, the review looks good. The Prime Attaquer looks good also, I like the warranty. What I really want is something for reasonable money, that is robust, reasonably light and easy (easy) to service.

What are folks using?
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 417
    edited December 2022
    Really you can't go wrong with any of the major brands ,they are all now pretty much running in sealed cartridge bearings .
    Another one to look at for under 300 is fulcrum racing 4s
    I recently put a set on a bike and the newer ones have a saw tooth look to them which I like they run really smooth and look great
    Couple of pics below for ref
  • I'm unsure why the wheels would sieze up after a service or why the shop would say you need sealed bearings .Assuming they are cup and cone I've always found them better and no easier or worse to service .
    What actually was wrong with them ,what part siezed up ?
    Mavic are good wheels and they have good customer service ,Personally I like the prime range at wiggle ,good quality and the last 60mm carbon set I replaced a hub on it was all DT Swiss parts on them and they arecall sealed bearings
    The
    Prime Attaquer V2 Disc Wheelset is around 300 and might be worth a look

I have had excellent wear with the Prime Attaquer V1 Disc Wheelset with very little maintenance.
  • I wouldn’t spend that much money on Bontrager wheels personally.

I’ve had a lower wheelset from Mavic (Aksium) and they were effectively maintenance free for the 3 years or so I had them - I rode them for commuting through all kinds of weather with no issue. Wouldn’t hesitate to get some Ksyriums if that’s a well priced option.

My road bike is running Hunt 4seasons road wheels - apart from a user error ( ploughing into a huge pothole) where I wrote off a rim they’ve been a good combo of price vs weight. Would buy again - or their slightly more expensive alloy sl / aero wise alloy wheelset. Hubs are cartridge bearing - I think they’re a variant on Novatec hubs but with better bearings and seals. Had mine since 2018 and had no reason to open the hubs up yet.

When I was looking there were also some Hope wheels. Maybe Hope 20fives - they were a touch more than the Hunts and a bit heavier but the hubs will be bullet proof. I’ve got pro 4’s on my mtb ans they’ve been dragged through all sorts of mud and cr*p and just keep working. Easy to service and get parts for and cartridge bearings.