British Olympic cyclist arrested on suspicion of rape and indecent assault

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-11499179/British-Olympic-cyclist-arrested-suspicion-rape-indecent-assault.html

Any idea who this is?

A British Olympic cyclist has been arrested on suspicion of rape and indecent assault.

The ex-rider has held a prominent position in professional cycling after his retirement from racing. He has worked with some of the biggest names in Britain’s most successful Olympic sport.

The Mail on Sunday is aware of the suspect’s identity but cannot reveal it for legal reasons. Police said that the man had been bailed while an investigation into the allegations was ongoing.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    A bug bear of mine.
    Innocent until proven guilty. No chance of the innocent leading a normal life once named.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-11499179/British-Olympic-cyclist-arrested-suspicion-rape-indecent-assault.html

Any idea who this is?

A British Olympic cyclist has been arrested on suspicion of rape and indecent assault.

The ex-rider has held a prominent position in professional cycling after his retirement from racing. He has worked with some of the biggest names in Britain’s most successful Olympic sport.

The Mail on Sunday is aware of the suspect’s identity but cannot reveal it for legal reasons. Police said that the man had been bailed while an investigation into the allegations was ongoing.
    why do you want to know?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    MattFalle said:

Any idea who this is?

why do you want to know?
    Presumably curiosity - it's natural isn't it ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
    No. in cases like this its nosiness and judgemental.

Curiosity is "ooooh. I wonder what colour next door are painting their lounge?"

Rick is after tittle tattle Daily Mail nosiness of the worst tittle tattle classes sort.

Let the CPS/courts do their bit hen he can pass judgement.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Hey let's just type some names and comit libel. What a jape.
  • DeVlaeminck
    MattFalle said:

Rick is after tittle tattle Daily Mail nosiness of the worst tittle tattle classes sort.

Curiosity is natural - that doesn't mean we should speculate here but it'd be odd not to wonder who it is wouldn't it ?
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Curiosity is natural - that doesn't mean we should speculate here but it'd be odd not to wonder who it is wouldn't it ?
    not really, no, especially in a case like this.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    That just tells you all you need to know about the likes of the so called newspapers like the mail. Absolute shysters.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Reading between the lines it would seem to be someone relatively obscure
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

not really, no, especially in a case like this.
    We'll just have to disagree - curiosity is a human trait - it's no different to hearing a rider has been popped for epo and wondering who it might be.

It only becomes a bad thing when you indulge in speculation which can obviously implicate the innocent.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Dan Roan, where are you?
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422
    orraloon said:

Dan Roan, where are you?

likely on the world cup gravy train feigning outrage at Qatar...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878

orraloon said:

Dan Roan, where are you?

likely on the world cup gravy train feigning outrage at Qatar... whilst living it up
    in a 6 star all expenses paid hotel, with free tickets to all the matches, with hospitality thrown in
    FTFY

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    The Mail: “We know the identity but won’t give the name. However, here’s a load of clues to allow you to speculate”.

Why report it at all before someone is charged?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Pross said:

The Mail: “We know the identity but won’t give the name. However, here’s a load of clues to allow you to speculate”.

cos that's what the mail, and it's so called readers, thrive on.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
    Pross said:

because its the daily heil and its evil racist xenophobic vile disgusting filth and its readers aren't any better.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Pross said:

Isn’t there some merit in identifying people where other victims may feel empowered to come forward if they feel they aren’t alone? Similar to Saville (in principle).
    I guess it depends if it’s thought it’s an isolated incident or may be a pattern.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Pross said:

Isn’t there some merit in identifying people where other victims may feel empowered to come forward if they feel they aren’t alone? Similar to Saville (in principle).
    I guess it depends if it’s thought it’s an isolated incident or may be a pattern.
    No, it's wrong. Everyone is entitled to being considered innocent until proven guilty.

Today, even if the case is dismissed, an allegation as serious as sexual assault is enough to destroy a person, and they will remain tarnished.

The justice system isn't perfect and there is definitely a weakness in helping victims of sexual crimes, but that doesn't mean accused should be named publicly until guilt is proven.

Plus, once names are in the press then questions can rise over jury impartiality.
  • MattFalle

Pross said:

flick that suggestion around and come back to us with your thoughts
  • MattFalle
    redvision said:

Pross said:

No, it's wrong. Everyone is entitled to being considered innocent until proven guilty.

Today, even if the case is dismissed, an allegation as serious as sexual assault is enough to destroy a person, and they will remain tarnished.

The justice system isn't perfect and there is definitely a weakness in helping victims of sexual crimes, but that doesn't mean accused should be named publicly until guilt is proven.

Plus, once names are in the press then questions can rise over jury impartiality.
    this, exactly.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    redvision said:

Unless of course the individual is one of this, or any month's batch of 'suspended' #toryscum MPs
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Pross said:

This is why. Some falsely accused men commit suicide.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5837985/forklift-driver-took-own-life-false-rape-accusation/
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • carbonclem

Pross said:

I was ahead of myself here. I just read again and he’s not yet charged. Fair enough.
  • MattFalle

Pross said:

I was ahead of myself here. I just read again and he’s not yet charged. Fair enough.
    given the type of alleged crime, would you be happy to be named if you were innocent, got charged but at the end of the were found not guilty?
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

given the type of alleged crime, would you be happy to be named if you were innocent, got charged but at the end of the were found not guilty?
    It is a balanced issue, with arguments both ways. If the legal profession can't decide on the least worst option, I'd be inclined away from being as certain as an MF.
  • MattFalle
    So is that a "no i don't want to be named?"
  • MattFalle
    or a "yes, I don't mind being named?"
  • First.Aspect
    It is an I don't know.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    I notice today's British Cycling members news has a mention of their safeguarding team half way down and how to report concerns etc... co-incidence?
  • carbonclem
    MattFalle said:

Pross said:

I wouldn’t want the publicity of any crime I was charged with , but generally, you don’t enjoy the privilege of anonymity in the situation, do you?