Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Are you trying to suggest I might be one of these 🦖. Well I have a smart tv with an Amazon fire stick, IPad and an iPhone. Not that I can use of them.
  • Comments from the pub industry, whether it is landlords or representatives, using phrases in business articles like '..having to compete with cheap beer from the supermarkets' or 'people like to stay at home with cheap supermarket beer'. You have got it the wrong way round folks, their beer isn't cheap, it is that your beer is really expensive.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    I tell you what annoys me:
    I see on my bookmark page that there are 16 posts on this thread since I last viewed/posted on it.
    I click on the thread within the bookmarks page and it takes me to page 852 of which there are only a few posts.
    I then have to count backwards after clicking on page 851, making a subtraction and try to find where I left off.
    In amongst the millions of things cluttering my head (this has accumulated over time), the point of which I was at I cannot remember so I end up re-reading posts until such time my memory filters out the clutter and I remember where I was.
    During this process, I have wasted time and this pixxes me off given I have more than likely lived for longer than I am going to live.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    pinno said:

I tell you what annoys me:

Always takes me back to where I left off. Both on phone and laptop.
    Must be personal. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited December 2022
    Got given a mouth full of abuse from a cabbie on my way home from the pub. Apparently the temerity to take primary to turn right heading towards a traffic controlled t junction which was on red is enough to warrant multiple “f@ck you”s before threatening to “f@ck [me] up” when I told him to leave me alone.

Had to resort to waving my d lock at him and then he went and drove off.

Wtf is going on. Was genuinely minding my own business. I was well lit. Patient at the junction in the bike box. The lot.
  • Privileged publicity shy people on the news all the time.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    Dyson's latest:
    Noise cancelling, air purifying headphones.£750.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    When you use the washers on your car, the wipers come on automatically and clear it perfectly then it does that one extra wipe a few seconds later that just smears the screen. Why does it do that extra one anyway?
  • Pross
    The weather app on Windows. Mine seems to change every few minutes and is hardly ever right. It's been telling me it is snowing for the past 2 days and we haven't had a flake, when I just clicked on it I found out it is showing the forecast for Bretforton which I've never heard of but is apparently in the West Midlands.
  • There's usually a few dribbles which appear before that final, extra sweep. Some of the time it works, but mostly it's as you describe - annoying
  • Pross
    Munsford0 said:

There's usually a few dribbles which appear before that final, extra sweep. Some of the time it works, but mostly it's as you describe - annoying

Thought I'd clicked on the colonoscopy thread for a second reading that!
  • :o
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Driving through a speed camera on a duel carriageway with no speed limits displayed and get the double flash at 40mph. I guess that made it a 30 limit then !
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    mully79 said:

Driving through a speed camera on a duel carriageway with no speed limits displayed and get the double flash at 40mph. I guess that made it a 30 limit then !

Did it have street lights?
    https://gov.uk/speed-limits

That said it's a bit sneaky to apply a 30mph limit on a dual when there are no speed limit signs, especially as most people will assume that its higher.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

That said it's a bit sneaky to apply a 30mph limit on a dual when there are no speed limit signs, especially as most people will assume that its higher.
    If it’s 40 you get regular reminders.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

I must have been very close to being caught on the way into Plmouth from the A38 one time... dual carriageway, had been 40mph for years, then while they did some roadworks it was down to 30, then they reopened it properly... as I drove in, I thought it weird that I was passing taxis and other cars, and it was only on the return out of Plymouth I saw the '30mph - average speed cameras' sign for the same stretch. Was glad to get out of the two-week period (or however long it is) without a notification in the post.
  • pinno

Stevo_666 said:

mully79 said:

I must have been very close to being caught on the way into Plmouth from the A38 one time... dual carriageway, had been 40mph for years, then while they did some roadworks it was down to 30, then they reopened it properly... as I drove in, I thought it weird that I was passing taxis and other cars, and it was only on the return out of Plymouth I saw the '30mph - average speed cameras' sign for the same stretch. Was glad to get out of the two-week period (or however long it is) without a notification in the post.
    I did exactly the same going into Glasgow on the A77 through road works and got hit for 3 points and a fine for going at 38mph when I thought the speed limit was 40.
    To add insult to it, I was going through the section at 5.30am and remember seeing the signs saying "please keep to the limit to keep our workers safe" - there were no frikkin workers there to keep frikin 'safe', the frikkin lazy barstewards.
  • Pross
    If there’s street lighting and no signs to say different a road is 30mph no matter whether it is single or dual. Wife got caught the same way going into Cardiff.
  • pinno
    Pross said:

If there’s street lighting and no signs to say different a road is 30mph no matter whether it is single or dual. Wife got caught the same way going into Cardiff.

There was no street lighting, it was 15 miles out of Glasgow.
    I was a threat to traffic cones but nothing else.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    pinno said:

Pross said:

I remember driving on the M25 in the dead of night, I think a five-lane bit, with hardly another cars around, and there was (for no visible reason) a 40 or 50mph mandatory limit... felt like I was almost stationary.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Must have been signs then?
  • Stevo_666
    I once got done for going into one of those 'low traffic neighbourhoods' in Dulwich at the wrong time of day. Had been passing through that way for years and all of a sudden got a letter in the post. Went back a few weeks later to check and saw a notice a good 7 feet up a pole that you really wouldn't have a chance to read it properly unless you stopped the car at the right point. Obviously no physical barriers to stop you either. I must have driven through a few times before that but at non restricted times and never spotted it.

Apparently locals were pretty hacked off when it first came in, as quite a few of them had transgressed several times before they started getting letter demanding £130 a go.

I now go another way through what is now a higher traffic neighbourhood.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    2.1m / 7 foot is the correct minimum height for any sign over a footway. If you get something like that and want to challenge it it's always worth checking the size and positioning comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations as they're pretty prescriptive.

I had to do a dissertation on sign clutter for my Professional Certificate (yeah, I know - I was bored shitless by it too!). As part of that I did a survey of signs around my village and also a dashcam drive through. I then got various people (friends, family and follow "professionals") to watch the footage and answer questions randomly about the signs they just seen having warned them that's what I'd be doing and it was clear they barely registered. I also did a test on some pretty commonplace signs and even my colleagues didn't know some of them. My conclusions were that there far too many unnecessary signs meaning people switch off and miss important ones and that many are pointless as people don't know what they mean.
  • I got a ticket having dropped son off at Cambridge station. Something I'd done many times before but they'd redesigned the whole station approach. Apparently I'd gone down a 'Buses only' bit. Mid summer and all the signs hidden by trees in full leaf, and the BUS ONLY painted on the road itself was obscured until the point of no return - by a bus of all things. The photo was naturally taken with the bus out of shot and me driving over the painted BUS ONLY. CBA arguing, just paid the £30 and swore never to go anywhere near the station again
  • Pross
    I've been caught out with just the front wheels on a box junction, there was space to get across but the car in front decided for some reason to leave a huge gap to the traffic on the other side. I stopped as soon as I realised they weren't going to move any further and then the lights changed leaving me stuck there. The junction was still completely clear for vehicles to turn but again £30 paid immediately rather than spending hours fighting some jobsworth and probably ending up paying the full £60 seemed the best option.

I also got caught out by a bus only area around Poole when running very late for a meeting and blindly following satnav but it couldn't have been monitored so I got away with it, the wife did the same in Reading as was less fortunate. Some of these things aren't well designed and as above don't give you the chance to correct any unintended use.
  • rick_chasey
    Munsford0 said:

I got a ticket having dropped son off at Cambridge station. Something I'd done many times before but they'd redesigned the whole station approach. Apparently I'd gone down a 'Buses only' bit. Mid summer and all the signs hidden by trees in full leaf, and the BUS ONLY painted on the road itself was obscured until the point of no return - by a bus of all things. The photo was naturally taken with the bus out of shot and me driving over the painted BUS ONLY. CBA arguing, just paid the £30 and swore never to go anywhere near the station again

It's pretty obvious...
  • Pross
    edited December 2022
    Is it this bit? If so it all looks pretty clear to me.

• rick_chasey
    It's signposted all the way down too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    edited December 2022
    All the faux outrage at *that* Netflix documentary. Especially from people who rely on writing about Royals to pay the bills.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

2.1m / 7 foot is the correct minimum height for any sign over a footway. If you get something like that and want to challenge it it's always worth checking the size and positioning comply with the Traffic Signs Regulations as they're pretty prescriptive.

I had to do a dissertation on sign clutter for my Professional Certificate (yeah, I know - I was bored shitless by it too!). As part of that I did a survey of signs around my village and also a dashcam drive through. I then got various people (friends, family and follow "professionals") to watch the footage and answer questions randomly about the signs they just seen having warned them that's what I'd be doing and it was clear they barely registered. I also did a test on some pretty commonplace signs and even my colleagues didn't know some of them. My conclusions were that there far too many unnecessary signs meaning people switch off and miss important ones and that many are pointless as people don't know what they mean.

Thanks Pross - noted for future reference. I looked online at at usual websites from contesting this sort of stuff and couldn't find a way out (nor had some of the locals who got stung), so paid up and got the 50% early payment discount.