Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Things that annoy me. How quickly your top end ability falls away when you spend any time off the bike.

Had a week and a bit where I could do minimal riding. Felt properly sick after a short and sharp one yesterday. It'll be fine again by next week once I've ridden a bit more and the same effort won't do that.

Annoying.
  • Same here. I'm into week 4 of a very persistent respiratory virus. I usually get over infections very quickly but this thing keeps coming back. Tried a very gentle ride on Sunday and it seemed very hard work. Despite the fact it was mild and damp it really upset my lungs. And now it's turning nippier I seem to be coughing even more.

Hoping I shake it off before Christmas...
  • Why you can't get a smartwatch that doesn't also want to do an ecg on you.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Why you can't get a smartwatch that doesn't also want to do an ecg on you.

As distinct from a HRM? You can can't you?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    edited December 2022
    pangolin said:

Why you can't get a smartwatch that doesn't also want to do an ecg on you.

As distinct from a HRM? You can can't you?
    Anything decent seems sell itself on its ability to be do a constant health check on me - blood oxygen, hrm etc. I want to listen to music, take calls, see messages, maybe make payments without my phone being there.

Does everyone else really want to have their sleep monitored?
  • pangolin
    The sleep monitoring always feels like a real gimmick
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,749
    pangolin said:

I also wonder when you charge as overnight is the logical choice.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

A lot of them only need it every week or so.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    edited December 2022
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

Tell me, tell me. I remember apple claiming that it was the dream to finally be able to own a watch that could go a day without being charged.

I'm considering an android one.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

Tell me, tell me. I remember apple claiming that it was the dream to finally be able to own a watch that could go a day without being charged.

I'm considering an android one.
    Hmm well I just have a Garmin forerunner 45 - says it lasts 7 days and I have found that to be true. If you are using it for gps that drops a lot, but it's nice to have the option. No music though.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/gps-running-watch-forerunner-45-black/_/R-p-X8589175

I think with music you'd want the forerunner 245 music... again music and/or gps will reduce the 7 days but it's still well over a day.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9299836

I haven't bothered but I read having one of these on your desk is a good option, can just let it charge for an hour or so while you're just working anyway.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N18DX6Y
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    ^ I don't think either do calls though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Forerunner 245 does do calls. Battery easily lasts a week. You can run a solid 15k and it only knocks the battery around 5%.

Charges back to full in very little time (30 mins?). Very efficient little watch.

I have the non music one.
  • Not really smartwatches though are they? Forerunner isn't going to do calls without my phone in my pocket.

(I've got a 230 that's still going strong, but it's a different animal.)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    pangolin said:

My Garmin thinks I'm asleep when I've been sat down for a while, maybe I need a more stressful life.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Blxxdy BBC R2 playing incessant boring old Christmas toons, it's December 1st FFS. Just how many times can one hear Shakin' Stevens 'Merry Christmas Everyone' before screaming 'enough already'?

A: once
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

Blxxdy BBC R2 playing incessant boring old Christmas toons, it's December 1st FFS. Just how many times can one hear Shakin' Stevens 'Merry Christmas Everyone' before screaming 'enough already'?

I think today was officially the day radio stations opened the taps.
    I'm refraining from listening to the radio for the foreseeable.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Also doing https://whamageddon.com/????
  • pblakeney
    drhaggis said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

I failed at 16:30 yesterday then. Chris Rea going home was the prior song.
    It is also the time I switched the radio off.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited December 2022
    pblakeney said:

drhaggis said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

I failed at 16:30 yesterday then. Chris Rea going home was the prior song.
    It is also the time I switched the radio off.
    One minute too late!

Back on topic, not being a Strava subscriber, I use ridewithgps to plot & post club rides. I _hate_ how biased their system is towards bike paths. I mean, I've spent the last 30 miles redirecting the web app to stick to the road. And now it insists on directing me out of tarmac and into a path I know is gravelly and not particularly smooth? Get out.

EDIT: And, on a related note, Garmin's route mapper has no problem with crossing in-schengen country borders on solid roads, but avoids bridge crossings like the plague. Why? There's a road! It's clearly mapped! Your popularity heatmap shows plenty of cyclists crossing! Could you please go straight for 100 yards, rather than redirect me again through the col where I crossed that border 15 miles ago? Pretty pleaaaaase?
  • Pross
    Just had a parcel delivered from Amazon where they had put a label over the name of the person it was being delivered to so didn't know if it was for me or the wife. Given I've ordered stuff for her Christmas present and probably vice versa I didn't want to open it without knowing who it was for. Tried peeling the label off but that also took the name off the label underneath. Luckily there was one letter just about visible that meant it is almost certainly mine but just waiting on the delivery notification to be certain!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited December 2022
    Need some sun to stop the condensation sufficiently to read my gas metre.

Has been unreadable for almost a week now.
  • pangolin
    If you're watching a series Netflix will skip past credits and intro in-between episodes pretty seamlessly.

On Prime Video you have to click next episode, skip ads, skip recap, skip intro. 4 clicks, all with a slight lag so you can't rattle through it.

Prime is also terrible at remembering where you got to, often trying to show you the last 5 minutes of the episode you watched the day before.

Truly trivial and annoying.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    On a similar theme is there away to watch YouTube videos with out being interrupted by adverts. Being rather old school I listen to music while on the turbo, so I’ve started using my iPad to listen various live concerts. But do I f*vk want to know about how to play the guitar or how to improve the performance of my lap top.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,863
    webboo said:

On a similar theme is there away to watch YouTube videos with out being interrupted by adverts. Being rather old school I listen to music while on the turbo, so I’ve started using my iPad to listen various live concerts. But do I f*vk want to know about how to play the guitar or how to improve the performance of my lap top.

Don't tell Youtube, but AdGuard on Chrome seems to eliminate all Youtube ads, before, and during playback.
  • webboo

webboo said:

Don't tell Youtube, but AdGuard on Chrome seems to eliminate all Youtube ads, before, and during playback.
    How does that work on an iPad.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    webboo said:

Pay for premium?
  • webboo
    mrb123 said:

webboo said:

Pay for premium?
    Pay what does that mean. 😂
  • Pross
    Can’t really complain about ads if you don’t want to pay a subscription. Needs to be one or the other in fairness.
  • webboo
    The trouble is clearly they think I’m someone else as they are trying to sell me stuff I have no interest in.
    Peleton, revision tools, lap top fixes. If it was tweed suits , brogues, pocket watches and or turn back the tide of time I might be interested.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,863
    webboo said:

The trouble is clearly they think I’m someone else as they are trying to sell me stuff I have no interest in.
    Peleton, revision tools, lap top fixes. If it was tweed suits , brogues, pocket watches and or turn back the tide of time I might be interested.

Remind me what you access these advertisements on... 🤔

Perhaps you should get yourself a Sinclair ZX-81.