SRAM Force disc caliper pin stuck

The screw in pin that secures the brake pads in the caliper has rounded off and I can no longer extract it.
Unless any one has any better suggestions I think my only solution is to replace the whole caliper.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2022
    One thing to try is to hammer a Torx head bit into the rounded off bolt if you've got one of a suitable size. The extra splines on the Torx bit can often give you more grip/purchase to shift the siezed bolt.

I'm assuming that you've tried all the usual WD40 soaking strategies already?
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I hadn't tried freeing oil on it but I've now done so and see it it frees up.
    Good idea about the torx head.
  • Drill it out is the only solution that's ever worked for me
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Pointy mole grip / vise grip pliers clamped on the section of pin between the pads. You might need a new pin afterwards depending on how scored it gets, given that pads may not get that close together.
  • wobblebob said:

Drill it out is the only solution that's ever worked for me

This is pretty much the only fix
    1mm drill down tge centre then a 3mm to get the rest out
  • paulbnix
    This is a spare pin - the shaft is 2.5mm in diameter.

me-109 said:

Pointy mole grip / vise grip pliers clamped on the section of pin between the pads. You might need a new pin afterwards depending on how scored it gets, given that pads may not get that close together.

I don't think there is enough space to get a tool that would turn a slippery 2.5 mm shaft.

I've tried drilling and managed to break my drill bit :(

I think even if I managed to drill it out I would probably destroy the threads.

So I've ordered a new caliper and will try drilling out when it arrives so I have a backup in case the drilling goes wrong.

I've also extracted the rear pin and put some copper slip on the threads so I don't get a repeat of the problem.
  • paulbnix said:

This is a spare pin - the shaft is 2.5mm in diameter.

me-109 said:

I don't think there is enough space to get a tool that would turn a slippery 2.5 mm shaft.

I've tried drilling and managed to break my drill bit :(

I think even if I managed to drill it out I would probably destroy the threads.

So I've ordered a new caliper and will try drilling out when it arrives so I have a backup in case the drilling goes wrong.

I've also extracted the rear pin and put some copper slip on the threads so I don't get a repeat of the problem.
    It is a delicate task drilling it
    When you go to the bigger drill the heat generated tends to get it moving befire you get right through .I've done a few and always managed to keep the threads intact .
  • paulbnix
    Turns out that I can't use the bike until the new caliper arrives.

Set off this morning and zero braking at the front.

The freeing oil must have corrupted the pads so I might as well give the drilling out another try.
  • paulbnix
    Having failed completely to drill out the pin I have spent £75 and fitted a new caliper.
    Definitely copperslip on this one.

Just waiting for the weather to moderate and make riding outdoors a pleasure rather than a pain.