Manbag But Not a Manbag

Hi. It might be the drugs talking but been thinking I'd like a manbag type thing. A bit more substantial than a cloth musette but smaller and more compact than a messenger/laptop bag. Also something stylish too. Needed to carry a bottle of water, a book, note pad (paper), pen, glasses case, snack etc. Currently use a small, old backpack type thing but it's not ideal and looks a bit naff.
Any ideas? Or should I wait to come off the narcotics and come to my senses?

Ta.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• Hi. It might be the drugs talking but been thinking I'd like a manbag type thing. A bit more substantial than a cloth musette but smaller and more compact than a messenger/laptop bag. Also something stylish too. Needed to carry a bottle of water, a book, note pad (paper), pen, glasses case, snack etc. Currently use a small, old backpack type thing but it's not ideal and looks a bit naff.

Ta.

This is the correct response.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Hi. It might be the drugs talking but been thinking I'd like a manbag type thing. A bit more substantial than a cloth musette but smaller and more compact than a messenger/laptop bag. Also something stylish too. Needed to carry a bottle of water, a book, note pad (paper), pen, glasses case, snack etc. Currently use a small, old backpack type thing but it's not ideal and looks a bit naff.

Ta.

+1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I suspect there is a City headhunter who will have exactly the sort of thing you're looking for that he can recommend. I've got one from when I used to go into the office but it is more satchel / laptop bag style so sounds bigger than what you are looking for.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Depends what you want but what do you think of the following?

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    A laptop bag, or a camera bag are the only options unless you are happy to admit to yourself that you are using a mens handbag.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

Hi. It might be the drugs talking but been thinking I'd like a manbag type thing. A bit more substantial than a cloth musette but smaller and more compact than a messenger/laptop bag. Also something stylish too. Needed to carry a bottle of water, a book, note pad (paper), pen, glasses case, snack etc. Currently use a small, old backpack type thing but it's not ideal and looks a bit naff.

Ta.

Yep, get a better rucksack - practical, and avoids the metropolitan w***er look.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Buy a large MTB hip pack and wear it across your body. It's what I do. Many of them allow you to stash a jacket on the outside too.

This is a good size, but there are many others like it out there:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/trail-hip-pack/product/HPX01XXOGB
  • rick_chasey
    Oversized bum bag
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Possibly left field but you may consider a small camera sling bag.
    Like a small backpack but only one shoulder strap, and less like the examples above.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411

Depends what you want but what do you think of the following?

Yeah, quite like the top version in the pics. Just need one a little bit smaller. The others remind me of my dad's work briefcase.

• rick_chasey
    Yeah small messenger or record bags - that's what they're called.
  • photonic69
    singleton said:
    Love that! Really like the genital warmer fluff pad that appears to be made of real Womble fur.

• photonic69

Buy a large MTB hip pack and wear it across your body. It's what I do. Many of them allow you to stash a jacket on the outside too.

This is a good size, but there are many others like it out there:

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/trail-hip-pack/product/HPX01XXOGB

Yeah, thanks for that. It reminds me I do have something similar buried deep in the cupboard under the stairs. Got one when I broke my collarbone and couldn't use a backpack. I'll give it a go. I seem to recall it was a pretty hideous colour :/

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    edited November 2022

singleton said:
    Love that! Really like the genital warmer fluff pad that appears to be made of real Womble fur.
    you can travel by catbus if you have one

i've got a couple of porter-yoshida bags (plain olive cordura ones, no fluff) feel soft but tough as old boots - had one over 15 years that's done many flights, looks almost new - with lots of practical features for travel

this is the smallest one i have, probably too big for you though...
    https://monocle.com/shop/product/17754/shorthauler-bag/olive/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • you need to think outside the box - I assume it is an x-ray rather than the pattern

• Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    Try Heinnie Haynes. They've got every size and type of bag-type-stuff from wallets upto big duffle bag/suitcase type things. And all very, very, manly ;)
  • photonic69

you need to think outside the box - I assume it is an x-ray rather than the pattern

My mate from Hong Kong had a coat like that. Almost an Inspector Gadget impersonation. He pulled out a large tablet, an iPhone, a Hugo DAC Headphone amp, a Fujifilm X-T2 camera, a bottle of JD and some other stuff. I was VERY impressed!

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I’m surprised there is any question over the use of a bag by a man. Get with the program lads.

I use a Rapha bag they did a few years ago - a substantial musette style one. Smaller/thinner than a laptop bag but same vibe. They don’t seem to do it anymore- shame.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • photonic69
    Think I've found what I'm looking for. Army surplus style wax oiled canvas bag. Not pretentious. Not feminine. Cheap and rugged and practical.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

Think I've found what I'm looking for. Army surplus style wax oiled canvas bag. Not pretentious. Not feminine. Cheap and rugged and practical.

It's called a satchel.
    Sort of thing primary school kids used to have.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Jeez. Call it what you want. Why worry what others will think about this or that bag. Way too much insecurity over a bag.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    I wouldn't go for a bag with buckles like that as it's too much of a faff to put stuff in and out of it.
  • photonic69

It's called a satchel.
    In the ‘80a at secondary school we all had canvas satchels decorated with the artwork from you favourite album cover from your favourite band. There were some super creative kids back then. The ideal bags had so much paint on the flap that it became solid and glossy. Cool times. I think mine had magic mushrooms all over it.

• pangolin

I wouldn't go for a bag with buckles like that as it's too much of a faff to put stuff in and out of it.

On lots of purses the buckle is actually just decorative and there's a popper underneath.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

It's called a satchel.
    If it’s good enough for Indiana Jones…
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I wouldn't go for a bag with buckles like that as it's too much of a faff to put stuff in and out of it.

Oi! As a classic Carradice saddlebag owner I'll defend to the death my right to fiddle with idiosyncratic buckles and leather straps which become slippery when wet and my numb fingers are scrabbling to get at my waterproof jacket in a hurry...