Mudguard recommendations

Hi all,

I have a Triban RC120 road bike, I cycle into work and as we are going into autumn and winter, I need to get some mudguards to keep my clothes cleaner and drier.
Can anyone recommend some good mudguards for my bike and also would full mudguards be better than beaver tail style one?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Full mudguards always better than clip-ons or beavertail thingamybobs.
    I use these. Nice and reflective:
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/700-x-28-widget-fully-reflective-mudguard-set-700c-silver/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    edited November 2022
    Full mudguards for sure.

I've used SKS, Tortec and Portland design works.

The first two are of a similar price point generally, though in my opinion\experience in fitting several pairs, I'd say the Topeak ones are slightly the better quality out of the two.

They are all a bit of a pain to fit, especially if you have never fitted a pair before, you'll need the right tools, remove the wheel, well rear definitely, and on a few of my bikes I have had to buy some extra long bolts.
    You'll also need something to cut the stays down, like a hacksaw, dremel etc.

If you are running disc brakes, you might need some way of bending the mudguard stays to clear the calliper as well.

If the guards you get, and the fitting on the bike includes a bolt near the bottom bracket, I suggest, if you can, putting some cable ties around the bolt, as I have had a couple vibrate their way out, and then you end up with a very rattly mudguard.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wijcc
    wijcc Posts: 30
    edited November 2022
    Thanks guys, I have rim brakes on my bike and my tyres are 700 x 28.
    Are the mudguards that photonic69 posted in the link above any good, have other users used them and would recommend them as they seem like a very good price.. the SKS and Topeak ones after a quick check are more expensive?
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mudguards/700-x-28-widget-fully-reflective-mudguard-set-700c-silver/
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Worth checking out the Bontrager ones. Bit more money but they have a different design which avoids the necessity of cutting the stays.
  • daniel_b
    Abject apologies, I have amended my post, it was Tortec and not Topeak!

I had not actually clicked Nic's link, but he recommends then from personal use, and they do seem to be an excellent price.

It's a little unclear about what width of tyre they will accommodate, as in it states there are two sizes, but only one is available.

I'd be inclined to think it is the narrower one they have available, but maybe best to give them a call to check - what width of tyre do you run on your bike, and might you want to go wider?

My experience with mudguards for rainy conditions, is that it is always better to go wider that try and keep it as close to the tyre width as you can.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wijcc
    I have 700 x 28 tyres
  • photonic69
    Mine are the 2nd set I had fitted. 1st pair lasted 4 years. Like any mudguards it's all about the fitting. Fit a good set badly vs a bad set well and they'll be worse. I my experience they are one of the most difficult things to get right and will require a lit of fettling to get them 'just so'. At some point in the bike shed they'll get knocked and they'll rub all the way home until you refettle them.

• My mudguard fitting experience improved significantly when I discovered a cutting wheel in a Dremel is a lot better than a hacksaw for cutting the stainless steel stays.
  • wijcc
    edited November 2022

Mine are the 2nd set I had fitted. 1st pair lasted 4 years. Like any mudguards it's all about the fitting. Fit a good set badly vs a bad set well and they'll be worse. I my experience they are one of the most difficult things to get right and will require a lit of fettling to get them 'just so'. At some point in the bike shed they'll get knocked and they'll rub all the way home until you refettle them.

Thanks, i have a hacksaw, angle grinder, jigsaw and metal cutting attachment for my drill. I might get some help for the local bike store for fitting if needed.

Given that I have 700x28 tyres and the ones you kindly sent the link for is for up to 28mm wide tyres would this be best for me instead of a wider set which is for 700 x 28mm to 700c x 45mm tyres?

Thanks again for your help guys :)
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't think you're on discs so the typical stopping point is the clearance between the rear tyre and the rear brake bridge. You might find you can't get full size guards in.
  • photonic69
    me-109 said:

Don't think you're on discs so the typical stopping point is the clearance between the rear tyre and the rear brake bridge. You might find you can't get full size guards in.

Good point. We don't know but Triban RC120 come in both flavours. If it is rim brakes I found SKS Raceblade Longs work well.

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/raceblade-long-black/

• wijcc
    edited December 2022
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Raceblade long are my go-to.

The way they fit to the brake caliper bridges is great because if you don't have the clearance under, you can bend the brackets to go over and they all still fit.
  • daniel_b
    wijcc said:
    They look alright, but the ones nic posted are cheaper (Reduced from £40) and have his personal recommendation - they also allegedly cater for a 1mm wider tyre!
    They seem to reckon up to 28mm, which is what you run, the ones you posted claim up to 27mm.

I say that tongue in cheek, I realise they are likely identical in width.

Both are silver - do you like silver?

The SJS ones have extra mud flaps at the rear of each guard, which means less spray overall.

Between the two, for me, it would be the SJS ones.

Having said that, I prefer black with or without a reflective stripe, so I'd get something else ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18