The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

Fair play the Saudis executed well.

😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • You can’t go down as the greatest of you haven’t at least performed at a World Cup

It is the age old argument I guess, do you need international success the be hailed as the greatest ever (assuming Messi does not win the WC). I know plenty of people point to the career overall, and Messi is exemplary at club level, but you have to factor in he was in one of the greatest club sides of all time.

Old Diego, as you say, won a WC on his own and also dragged Napoli from nothing to double league winners and a UEFA cup.

My personal vote would always be Maradona over Messi but you could call it either way.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    seanoconn said:

The Messi effect leads Argentina to be constantly overrated. For all his brilliance he has been surrounded by a lot of very average team mates over the years. No matter how good he is, he can't win everything on his own.

He's also played pretty poorly at most World Cups he's been to.
    Maradona practically won by himself in 86.

You could say he won it single handed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,225

The Messi effect leads Argentina to be constantly overrated. For all his brilliance he has been surrounded by a lot of very average team mates over the years. No matter how good he is, he can't win everything on his own.

It's the biggest argument Ronaldo has over Messi in that (rather stupid) debate.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    It's also the debate that excludes old Georgie Best from the conversations. The real greatest footballer you never saw though, is obviously Robin Friday :)
    https://amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footballer-You-Never-Saw/dp/1840181087
  • Tashman said:

It's also the debate that excludes old Georgie Best from the conversations. The real greatest footballer you never saw though, is obviously Robin Friday :)
    https://amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Footballer-You-Never-Saw/dp/1840181087

The Man Don’t Give A F**k 😉
  • seanoconn

It's the biggest argument Ronaldo has over Messi in that (rather stupid) debate.
    I’m what way?
  • rick_chasey
    seanoconn said:

I’m what way?
    Less the case now that Argentina won the Americas cup, but Ronaldo has regularly put the Portugese team on his back and strong armed them into winning, eventually winning the Euros.

Couldn't really say the same for Messi for Argentina, though he was very good when they did win the Americas cup with him.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

seanoconn said:

I’m what way?
    Less the case now that Argentina won the Americas cup, but Ronaldo has regularly put the Portugese team on his back and strong armed them into winning, eventually winning the Euros.

Couldn't really say the same for Messi for Argentina, though he was very good when they did win the Americas cup with him.
    If Messi can do sailing too then he's definitely the GOAT.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Decent match this one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    The effects mics are really getting on my nerves. Last night it was some Yank just booing everything, the Argentina game earlier had some woman sounding like she was having an orgasm and in this game it is constant whistling. I've never noticed individuals coming through quite so much previously.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Not exactly raining goals today.
  • First.Aspect
    But on the plus side, Ronaldo has left United.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151

I hope we don't get him.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn
    Stevo_666 said:

I hope we don't get him.
    Don’t think anyone wants him. USA or China the best bet.
  • Can't he just move in with Morgan?
  • Ronaldo seems fairly switched on, so I am suprised he is deluded enough to think he is not surplus to requirements now he is past his peak. I guess ego and hubris has got in the way.
  • First.Aspect
    Perhaps he'll go to Newcastle or something daft like that. Or Sporting.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

Ronaldo seems fairly switched on, so I am suprised he is deluded enough to think he is not surplus to requirements now he is past his peak. I guess ego and hubris has got in the way.

£500k per week could be an influencer.
  • First.Aspect
    Only united are stupid enough to pay that. And I suspect what's actually happened is they've terminated his contract because he was in breach of it, so what he used to earn a week might not matter. He is now a pita 38 year old destroyer of team spirit.
  • I suspect his ego will dictate that he wants a big club but can't see (m)any even contemplate his wage demands.

Heard Chelsea were very keen in the summer. Doubt Potter would want him but Boehly might just get carried away and want a bit of attention....
  • First.Aspect
    Might depend on whether Messi goes back to Barca in the summer.
  • Wherever he goes it'll end up being toxic.

He'll probably demand some kind of a play every game clause in his new contract so he doesn't have to go through the frustration of warming the bench.

He'll be on more money than the current highest earner at his new club.

And for what return? Week in week out average and often sulky performances.

I agree that he'll probably finish off at some US or Chinese league club, possibly even a middle eastern team on a million a week!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    France FC playing rather like France RFC...

Bad sign for everyone else! 🫣
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Moneyball is a bit tedious is it not? Have France v Oz playing in background, even the commentators sound bored.

And now a goal. Excitement level goes up to...4? Are the 'fans' on electro shockers to keep them quiet? Or are they all so pisxed they're asleep?

And another Giroud goal. Still sounds like there are 150 supporters there.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    France arent dicking around here

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    France - scary attack, but far from convinced by their defence. With marginally better finishing the Aussie would have had at least 3.
  • seanoconn
    2 levels up from a different level. Amazing. Watching that clip you wonder why he bothered passing to his teammates.
  • rick_chasey
    Think the saudi game took all of yesterday's fun quota.

I wonder if the shift in calendar has helped the top European teams.