The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    In the Wales match last night they'd added 10 minutes then during that 10 minutes there were numerous stoppages yet no further time got added so I suspect the referee couldn't be bothered with having even more time added. Just stop the clock when there is an injury (real or imagined) or obvious time wasting as they do in rugby and hopefully the imagined injuries will stop.
  • Now that one was not an obvious penalty.
  • It’s 7-13am here in Argentina and something tells me that their team just scored.
    People screaming in the streets and car horns blaring.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I thought injury time was decided by the ref - are you saying the 4th official makes the decision ?

yes, in theory this makes it less subjective
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Saudi playing a mega high line for a defensive team. Feels risky.
  • Pross
    Souness and Keane not getting on very well!
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Souness and Keane not getting on very well!

lol now there's a surprise.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372

It’s 7-13am here in Argentina and something tells me that their team just scored.

I love this!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Working unfortunately. How are Argentina looking?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • It’s 7-13am here in Argentina and something tells me that their team just scored.

What's the noise like now?
  • rick_chasey
    WTF do i know, saudi with 2 great goals.
  • seanoconn said:

They the ones in green?
  • laurentian

It’s 7-13am here in Argentina and something tells me that their team just scored.

I love this!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian

I love this!
    . . . wonder what the Riyadh streets are like now . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Group C is looking like a four way group of death, Saudis are giving a good game here, Poland and Mexico are hardly minnows.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    edited November 2022
    Bet its quiet in Argentina now. Come on Saudi !
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

They the ones in green?
    Just checked the score. Not so good then.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Wow. That would be such a shame, not!
    However, I get although the BBC ticker says 85 minutes, it probably means there's still 15+minutes to play.
    FIFA have adopted 'Fergie time'!
  • Play not immediately stopped when someone knocked out cold by a knee to the chin.

They aren't getting this right.
  • Dorset_Boy

Play not immediately stopped when someone knocked out cold by a knee to the chin.

They aren't getting this right.

It would help if they allowed the medics on straight away in such circumstances, without needing permission from the officials, as in rugby.
    Concussion subs need to be introduced immediately.

They should also copy rugby with stopping the game clock if the 4th official is time keeper.
  • Pross
    Well the ref gave them plenty of additional time on top of the additional time (even allowing for the delay for the head injury) to get an equaliser. Saudi deserved it too, they were superb in defence.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Well done Saudi. If only the fat little cheat was still alive to see it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • laurentian
    That save though!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • The Messi effect leads Argentina to be constantly overrated. For all his brilliance he has been surrounded by a lot of very average team mates over the years. No matter how good he is, he can't win everything on his own.
  • As they can't both lose, that's the best result.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    edited November 2022

I thought injury time was decided by the ref - are you saying the 4th official makes the decision ?

yes, in theory this makes it less subjective
    Have you got a link where you saw this - added time is traditionally decided by the ref and communicated to the 4th official. Not saying they haven't changed this but it's not something I've seen.

Edit found something https://football-italia.net/collina-warned-about-longer-added-time-at-world-cup/
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy

The Messi effect leads Argentina to be constantly overrated. For all his brilliance he has been surrounded by a lot of very average team mates over the years. No matter how good he is, he can't win everything on his own.

He's also played pretty poorly at most World Cups he's been to.
  • He's also played pretty poorly at most World Cups he's been to.

Fair point. I wonder how much of that has come from trying to overcompensate for the lack of quality around him? The old adage of "trying too hard".
  • seanoconn

The Messi effect leads Argentina to be constantly overrated. For all his brilliance he has been surrounded by a lot of very average team mates over the years. No matter how good he is, he can't win everything on his own.

He's also played pretty poorly at most World Cups he's been to.
    Apart from the odd good game/goal he hasn’t performed. Maybe the weight of expectation is too much. Maradona practically won by himself in 86.

You can’t go down as the greatest of you haven’t at least performed at a World Cup.
  • Fair play the Saudis executed well.