The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217

Iran aren't mugs, England are just several levels above them in terms of the technical ability of our players, tactics and coaching. For all the usual rubbish about Southgate that your average England fan spouts, he knows his players and his tournament record is excellent. He has an outstanding group of young players, some very good experience and lots of attacking options. When they play with this attacking freedom and intent (regardless of opposition) England are objectively one of the 3 or 4 best teams in international football.

For all the sh!t he gets people seem to forget he took England to a world cup semi and within a penalty shootout of winning the Euros.
  • For all the sh!t he gets people seem to forget he took England to a world cup semi and within a penalty shootout of winning the Euros.

Yes, quite clearly the most successful England Manager for decades, people seem to forget the absolute mess we were when he took over. The way he has turned it around, particularly after decades of mass underachievement, has been excellent.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Big Sam had a 100% record.
  • rick_chasey
    As someone who watches no club football and is informed by Football Manager, nice to see how Saka and Bellingham have come on since the Euros.
  • Pross said:

That’s crazy. I hate shirt pulling but if you give that then every corner or free kick is a penalty.

Obvious penalty.

Maybe there wouldn't be so much of the shirt pulling you hate if that was given more often.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207

Pross said:

That’s crazy. I hate shirt pulling but if you give that then every corner or free kick is a penalty.

Obvious penalty.

Maybe there wouldn't be so much of the shirt pulling you hate if that was given more often.
    I'd gladly see it given every time but it isn't and that's where I have the problem. If the refs grew balls and started giving a penalty for the first instance in any game rather than occasionally giving one to a team who are losing 6-1 in injury time it would sort the issue out.
  • First.Aspect
    Lineker just said maguire has blurred vision, but nothing too serious.

Football just doesn't get it.

Anyhow, that's him until he returns in order to be outpaced and give a goal away in the round of 16.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    Dutch very bullish on the broadcast.

Interestingly they're trailering a lot of documentaries about the political world cup situation but it is exclusively sports and "Holland coming together" chat on the coverage.
  • Lineker just said maguire has blurred vision, but nothing too serious.

Football just doesn't get it.

It's only a common symptom of concussion, nothing to worry about.
  • rick_chasey
    Senegalese drummers having the best game so far...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Watched first 15 minutes of 2nd half of Netherlands Senegal before going screw this, moneyball can be really really boring. Seems there was some action late on. Yawn. Where's that paint?
  • Pross
    Don’t know what Wales are doing. I assume the intention was to sit back and try to hit them on the counter but on the rare occasions they get the ball they do nothing. USA playing far better and take the deserved lead.
  • rick_chasey
    orraloon said:

Watched first 15 minutes of 2nd half of Netherlands Senegal before going screw this, moneyball can be really really boring. Seems there was some action late on. Yawn. Where's that paint?

Not a classic. Sort of pleased they won playing badly. Usually a good sign of things to come.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Wales FC playing a little like Wales RUFC at the mo...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Yanks very much adopting the Qatari tactic of taking out the opposition every time they get the ball. They’re going to lose a player if Wales can get a decent amount of possession.
  • Pross
    Bale is having a poor game. His ball control has been terrible
  • First.Aspect
    This isn't fun to watch. Neither of these teams is going anywhere.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    (a little like England RFU now tbf...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Yanks very much adopting the Qatari tactic of taking out the opposition every time they get the ball. They’re going to lose a player if Wales can get a decent amount of possession.

Got the pen scored the pen
  • Pross
    Why didn’t they play that way in the first half? Gary son said at the start they would probably have been better with Moore up front and he certainly made a difference.

The commentator going on about Bale was annoying considering he did nothing other than get fouled for the penalty and then slot it home (nearly having it saved). I’m a fan usually but that was one of the worst games I’ve seen him play for Wales. It was the less fashionable players for Wales that played best. Rodon and Ampadu played well along with Moore.
  • Pross
    I guess I’m going to be supporting England on Friday!
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I guess I’m going to be supporting England on Friday!

I can see Iran getting a draw against either of Wales or the US.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Well we Mullah'd Iran :) And Wales-USA was a good result for us as they both dropped points. Roll on Friday.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    England will qualify on Friday.
  • Pross
    I’ve just seen the first vox pop of the World Cup with England fans proclaiming it’s coming home. They played well but most teams haven’t even had their first match yet.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Explanation of all the added time, and the longest halves of football at a WC were all yesterday!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63710986
  • First.Aspect

Explanation of all the added time, and the longest halves of football at a WC were all yesterday!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63710986

Thought so.

This means FIFA are increasing playing time by about 15% per game, and the tournament is also shorter this time. Which means players will get injured. Particularly in the knock out games with extra time.
  • Pross
    Theoretically it will be a good thing if it stops time wasting. The problem is that the players are usually a bit to dim to think about that and all their instincts are telling them to roll around on the floor a bit whenever they get fouled. Also, some of these games are already being played until gone midnight although I guess that isn't such a major logistical challenge when everything is so contained. I suspect like all these FIFA dictats it will go out of the window after a few games when referees get fed up with it.
  • Pross said:

Theoretically it will be a good thing if it stops time wasting. The problem is that the players are usually a bit to dim to think about that and all their instincts are telling them to roll around on the floor a bit whenever they get fouled. Also, some of these games are already being played until gone midnight although I guess that isn't such a major logistical challenge when everything is so contained. I suspect like all these FIFA dictats it will go out of the window after a few games when referees get fed up with it.

injury time is not decided by the ref, but yes I agree that the players won't adapt quickly enough and FIFA will back down.

I am so old I remember when injury time did not exist in the 1st half and only in extreme circumstances would it exceed a minute at the end of the game. If the game was dead and buried or particularly niggly then they would not bother
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I thought injury time was decided by the ref - are you saying the 4th official makes the decision ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]