[SOLVED] Need some advice on chain slip

arbj
arbj Posts: 10
edited November 2022 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have noticed that the chain on my MTB (3x8 setup) slips quite frequently especially when going uphill, or when pressure is applied on the pedals. This happens mostly on 5 & 6 gears. I have never replaced the chain or the cassette, it has run for 2200 KM so far.

The ruler test on the chain indicates some chain wear. Please see posted photos.
1. Do the chain & cassette need replacing?

2. Gear shifting is also not very smooth, do you think I should sort that out first, or do the chain & cassette need replacing first?

Thanks
a

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    The cassette is definitely worn so you need a new chain. It will skip worse with a new chain so buy a new cassette. Should be about £25.

Hang the new and old chain next to each other and compare to see how worn the old one really is. Measuring with a rule over one link isn’t really any use.
  • Properly worn. Definitely new chain and cassette. And if it's still skipping when you've replaced the cassette and chain, it's possible you've worn the chainrings too.

Do yourself a favour and buy a chain wear checker. Replace the next chain at 0.75% wear
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That cassette definitely looks worn, especially the 5th gear.
    New chain and cassette time, and maybe chain ring(s).

Using a decent wax-based lube and regular drive chain cleaning will help with life span as you won't get that horrible black build up which acts as a grinding paste.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • arbj
    Thanks all for the advice.

The new cassette & chain have already come. However it seems there are other repairs I need to undertake first. Some spokes have to be installed & the rear wheel trued, the headset is also tight, so that needs to be serviced, as also the front shocks which is jammed. I think the brake rotors need to be replaced as well.

Thanks
    a
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    arbj said:

The new cassette & chain have already come. However it seems there are other repairs I need to undertake first. Some spokes have to be installed & the rear wheel trued, the headset is also tight, so that needs to be serviced, as also the front shocks which is jammed. I think the brake rotors need to be replaced as well.

Thanks
    a

It sounds like you need a new bike.
  • arbj
    edited November 2022
    webboo said:

arbj said:

Thanks
    a

It sounds like you need a new bike.
    Maybe but I am going use this chance to learn some bike repairs