Dura Ace & 105 Compatibility

Hi All,
I have an old road bike with Dura Ace 7900. It’s a 10 speed with a 53/39 and a 12-30 Ultegra Cassette.
I have an issue with the right hand shifter and large chain ring. Both need replacing but they are expensive and hard to find.
I have been told 105 may be compatible and is much cheaper (I’ve just purchased a new Scott Foil RC 30 so the old bike will get minimal use now).
Does anyone know if I can replace the shifter and crank with 105? I’d want a 10 speed compact.
I’m trying to limit the spend on the old bike but do want something workable.
Thanks

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Any crank will work, doesn't have to be Shimano so just get what's cheapest, can't see a problem with the shifter change tbh assuming you're sticking with 10 speed.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,149
    Crank - literally any 10 speed will do.
    Shifter - you will need older style pull ratio Shimano so any 10 speed Ultegra or 105 will be OK. But not 4700 Tiagra, which uses the same pull ratio as the 11 speed. You should also be able to get away with 4600 Tiagra, assuming you can find it.
  • MattFalle
    9 & 11 speed cranks/'rings will work fine as well for more purchasing choice.
  • As above, any crankset will do. Any 10 speed Shimano shifter will do bar Tiagra 4700. Problem is none of this stuff is available to buy... just second hand on Ebay, I'm afraid
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    Sensah works with Shimsno and they are £65 a pair so worth a punt.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,149
    MattFalle said:

Sensah works with Shimsno and they are £65 a pair so worth a punt.

But only on the newer 11 speed pull ratio (hence the compatible with 4700 in the picture).
    Mind you, you could probably get those and a new 4700 rear mech for less than the price of 10 speed 105 or Ultegra shifters and then it would all work.
  • MattFalle
    Good spot re 4700 - better eyes than mine!

and agree totally re mixing that and mech - any 10 speed 105 he finds will likely be more expensive and on its way out.

tbh though, i'd give it a go and see what happens with his current mech - so much stuff that isn't meant to work does perfectly (look at MFs recent thread re Campy 10 speed cassette/Red mech & shifters that PB answered perfectly)
  • Sensah do 10 speed stuff that's compat with the older Shimano 10 too
  • MattFalle
    MicroShift will probably work as well.
  • MattFalle
    Actually can't see why he can't use 11 speed shifters - just set the limit screws appr. and off you go.