Musky

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,196
edited January 2023 in The cake stop
Faceache was brought under considerable scrutiny after incidents of self harm , bullying and suicides after which they promised to monitor content.

Musk had said that the accounts of some controversial Twitters would be re-instated some time ago, long before he bought out Twitter under the apparent 'freedom of speech' to which he obviously wants to promote.

Are the sacked 8000 employees instrumental in monitoring Twitter content and if so, will Twitter end up in the same situation of under-regulated content as FB?
Does the future of Twitter in the hands of Musk bode well?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Worst possible guy to run a social media platform
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    He will have a plan. Whether it’s viable is another story.

It’s one thing being a “free speech absolutist” and running a social media app whose income model currently relies solely on third party advertisers.

All I can see is a awful online place for polarised views which will haemorrhage cash, advertisers and users.

As for trump, he’s invested in his own platform while we won’t get paid from twitter, so can’t see him pivoting back as it will mean failure for his baby.

Mind you a lot of people wrote off Tesla and he tweeted why people wanted Tesla to fail. You can’t write the guy of as his plans will become clearer once the dust has settled
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    pinno said:

Faceache was brought under considerable scrutiny after incidents of self harm , bullying and suicides after which they promised to monitor content.

Musk had said that the accounts of some controversial Twitters would be re-instated some time ago, long before he bought out Twitter under the apparent 'freedom of speech' to which he obviously wants to promote.

Are the sacked 8000 employees instrumental in monitoring Twitter content and if so, will Twitter end up in the same situation of under-regulated content as FB?
    Does the future of Twitter in the hands of Musk bode well?

Apparently one was responsible for dealing with reports in the UK from celebrities getting abuse. As the person I heard (former high up in Twitter pre-Musk) said, this person’s role included dealing with racist abuse of professional footballers and the World Cup is about to start.

The more I see of Musk the more I wonder if he was a deep cover sleeper agent, he seems intent on disruption!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Anyone else picture Jonathan Pryce?

Noted that several large companies have pulled advertising already.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    As reported by @kingstongraham , Musk seems to be rather thin-skinned... so much for free speech.

• briantrumpet
    There also seems to be masking of replies to mildly critical tweets:

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Shout out to the bankers who financed the deal.

They’ll be sweating for quite a while haaaa

KYC lads

• briantrumpet
    edited November 2022

Shout out to the bankers who financed the deal.

They’ll be sweating for quite a while haaaa

KYC lads

How much of his investment has already gone up in smoke, I wonder. Reckon he must have knocked off half, as he's scaring away both users and advertisers, and it has virtually no tangible assets.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure but it’s a leveraged buy out. It’s not his cash. It’s his borrowed cash.
  • briantrumpet

Knock-on effect, Tesla shares down nearly 10% on the week?

Either way, a few people will be sweating.

• rick_chasey
    I like laughing at bankers who make stupid lends. 👍🏻
  • briantrumpet
    edited November 2022

I like laughing at bankers who make stupid lends. 👍🏻

A lot of Saudis in this case, I think?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

I think a few of us have previously pointed out the dangers of people quoting Twitter as if it's a reliable source of information, well before Musk took it over :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    As opposed to the telegraph?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

I think a few of us have previously pointed out the dangers of people quoting Twitter as if it's a reliable source of information, well before Musk took it over :)

For sure.

There's a void between Twitter's type of unfiltered 'news sources' and the 'MSM' under owners' control: both have their place, but one needs to be wary of both, for different reasons.
  • Stevo_666
    Ears burning Rick? :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • It's like trusting the bloke down the pub - it depends who they are.
  • Stevo_666

It's like trusting the bloke down the pub - it depends who they are.

True, most sources are like that. Although you still need to do your due diligence if you really want to rely on it.
  • Stevo_666 said:

True, most sources are like that. Although you still need to do your due diligence if you really want to rely on it.
    But you wouldn't claim it was the pub that you trust or don't trust.

And further, if the pub owner started being an arsehole and letting other arseholes scream at you constantly, it wouldn't be anyone else's fault if people went elsewhere.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    Basically Musk is paying a yard a year in interest so that’s why he’s suddenly worried about profitability.

Approaching it like a Redditor shitposter however will definitely help.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

And further, if the pub owner started being an censored and letting other arseholes scream at you constantly, it wouldn't be anyone else's fault if people went elsewhere.
    I'm not too bothered as I don't use it myself. But Musk owns it so he can do what he wants with it.
  • rick_chasey
    Constrained by the terms of his borrowing tbf
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

And further, if the pub owner started being an censored and letting other arseholes scream at you constantly, it wouldn't be anyone else's fault if people went elsewhere.
    I'm not too bothered as I don't use it myself. But Musk owns it so he can do what he wants with it.
    If it was a pub you liked, you'd stop going there and hope he lost his money, but still be a bit sad it had happened.
  • Stevo_666

I don't feel the need to caveat my posts with 'within the bounds of the law and contractual commitments etc'....
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If it was a pub you liked, you'd stop going there and hope he lost his money, but still be a bit sad it had happened.
    True, but fortunately it's not.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

I don't feel the need to caveat my posts with 'within the bounds of the law and contractual commitments etc'....
    Nah what I mean is he’s got a yard of interest to pay a year so he’s gonna have to have it make money which is not going to be easy and that will dictate what he does.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Nah what I mean is he’s got a yard of interest to pay a year so he’s gonna have to have it make money which is not going to be easy and that will dictate what he does.
    True.
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

"Dictate" in the sense of behaving like a spoilt brat when the world doesn't bend to his whims and ignorance of how stuff works.

Normal caveats apply, but...

• Stevo_666 said:

He doesn't seem to understand what he's bought.

"You users can just disappear, I don't care" doesn't work alongside selling ad space.