Update on Sonny Colbrelli

JimD666
JimD666 Posts: 1,900
He's been fitted with a ICD (subcutaneous defibrillator), so it's not looking great for him to continue his career. Certainly in his home country as Italy apparently bans athletes from competing if they've had one fitted.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/sonny-colbrelli-fitted-with-defibrillator-and-discharged-from-hospital

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I assume this is the same thing Christian Eriksen has. That law is why he had to leave Inter Milan.

I assume Colbrelli will still be able (legally at least) to ride for Bahrain, but maybe not in Italy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    RichN95. said:

I assume this is the same thing Christian Eriksen has. That law is why he had to leave Inter Milan.

I assume Colbrelli will still be able (legally at least) to ride for Bahrain, but maybe not in Italy.

The Italian Federation won't be able to issue him a license, as he'd fail their health requirements, so he'd need to change nationality first.
  • RichN95.
    andyp said:

RichN95. said:

The Italian Federation won't be able to issue him a license, as he'd fail their health requirements, so he'd need to change nationality first.

Licences are issued according to where a rider lives. But he lives in Italy so the point is the same.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I feared this from the start. How can a sprinter have a career where he may get a massive electric shock whilst pushing 70kph at 200m to go..?

😥
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    He's going to officially announced his retirement on the 15th November. Hopefully he can transition into another job in the sport, or elsewhere.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Did wonder if something has been said as he'd shot up to the top of the PCS popular list :)
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Can't race as an Italian with a 'pacemaker', so has to retire. Should have been a footballer, a la Eriksen.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    andyrac said:

Can't race as an Italian with a 'pacemaker', so has to retire. Should have been a footballer, a la Eriksen.....

Isn't it only competing in Italy which is banned for those with pacemakers? I thought outside of Italy there was no such restrictions.
  • RichN95.
    redvision said:

andyrac said:

Isn't it only competing in Italy which is banned for those with pacemakers? I thought outside of Italy there was no such restrictions.
    Yeah. That’s why Eriksen had to leave Inter Milan
  • andyp
    redvision said:

andyrac said:

Colbrelli would need to be issued a license by the Italian Cycling Federation to race, both domestically and internationally. As he has a pacemaker, they won't issue him with one.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I could see him being a decent DS.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Seems odd that the ICF can prevent him from racing events not under their jurisdiction - you'd think (without any legal knowledge) that would be open to legal challenge. I doubt I'd be able to push myself to the extremes again but a shame if the decision hasn't been his.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    The way a UCI license works is that it has to be issued by the affiliated federation of the country of residence of the applicant. I don't know if he could take up, for example, Swiss residence and gain a license from the Swiss federation. However, any professional license holder needs to pass a medical and the requirements for that include heart screening, which may prevent him from ever getting a license.

I think if I was him, and at his age, I'd move on with my life. There is no point risking your life for bike racing, even though it might be hard to accept that.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    andyp said:

I think if I was him, and at his age, I'd move on with my life. There is no point risking your life for bike racing, even though it might be hard to accept that.

That's what he's rumoured to have told friends. He didn't want to skirt around the Italian regulations, he was happy living in Italy and didn't want to take any risks. We'll no doubt find out more when he makes it official.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    BBC saying he has announced his retirement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/63446756