Cycling shoes

My cycling shoes gave up today so I’m after a new pair.

I’ve been using SPD cleats with road shoes for years because they suit me for commuting (40 Kms a day in and out of central London). I can’t seem to find any replacements and I don’t really want to swap to SPD-SL pedals.

Can anybody point me in the right direction or shall I just stick with the SPD and buy some mob shoes?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,604
    Personally I would just go for spd shoes, with the extra grip around the cleat, nice and easy to walk in.

Some road shoe makes have the additional hole, can't recall any makes off the top of my head though :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Personally I would just go for spd shoes, with the extra grip around the cleat, nice and easy to walk in.

Some road shoe makes have the additional hole, can't recall any makes off the top of my head though :#

Thanks.
    I work on large construction sites (I do lead roofing) so there’s always an element of walking from the bike lock ups to the changing rooms. There’s always some stairs to climb or a Haki staircase to walk up.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,570
    Shimano RP1 model has both cleat mount holes.

Giro Cadet or Stylus models.

Probably more available.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Shimano RP1 model has both cleat mount holes.

Giro Cadet or Stylus models.

Probably more available.

Thanks for the reply.
    I’ve had the Shimano RP1 before and wrecked them in 1 winter but I like the look of the Giro Cadet though.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,848
    edited October 2022
    I'd have thought there were loads of new choices given the gravel surge.
    I use a top end Sidi mtb version. All the benefits of a road sole, uppers and SPD. Not for everyone though, and expensive.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

I'd have thought there were loads of new choices given the gravel surge.
    I use a top end Sidi mtb version. All the benefits of a road sole and SPD. Not for everyone though, and expensive.

The gravel shoes look very similar to mtb shoes to me.
    I like the Sidi range tbh and they don’t seem to be that expensive.

My first pair of motorcycle boots were Sidi Vertebrae.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,570
    Sidi is my choice too - have a pair of MTB which I use on road just as often, and a pair of the road shoes which are Speedplay pedal specific. Hard to tell the difference looking at them once on.

Shimano shoes usually don’t fit me well. Recently bought some Giro Empire “knit” shoes, which are super comfy, but would be useless in UK winter!

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • I’ll be looking at the Sidi mtb shoes and the Giro offerings.

Thanks.
  • WTH has happened to prices in the last year?

I bought https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe/rp-prod198418 a year ago, sitting in the spares box, for £35... £85 currently!!! :#
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,446
    edited October 2022
    Lake shoes are fairly well regarded. Generous width options available. Can’t speak of longevity as I managed to slice mine nearly in two with a Stanley knife as I was performing a delicate mid sole cleat conversion.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn said:

Lake shoes are fairly well regarded. Generous width options available. Can’t speak of longevity as I managed to slice mine nearly in two with a Stanley knife as I was performing a delicate mid sole cleat conversion.

🤣🤣

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 613

WTH has happened to prices in the last year?

I bought https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dhb-dorica-mtb-shoe/rp-prod198418 a year ago, sitting in the spares box, for £35... £85 currently!!! :#

Think that was quite a recent jump. I was considering cheap MTB 2 bolt shoes for commuting and they were in the frame. Next time I looked they had leapt to £80 :o

Back looking at PX and Decathlon...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,848
    edited October 2022
    Just a guess, but I'd guess the £35 was a special offer price with limited time.
    £85 seems more realistic. Kudos to anyone who got them at £35, not that I'd buy camo.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    I use XC MTB shoes for everything. Something like Shimano XC7 or XC9 are plenty stiff and still walk-in-able.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    edited October 2022
    No idea what they are like, but saw these are in the PX flash sale section this weekend...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/deals/q/deal-SHCATMTBMG £25

Annoying, PX has done away with the size guide including the insole(?) length. When I bought my Das Boots, my 27.5cm foot length was right on the border, I ordered 43s but had to exchange them for 44s.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Hey, I bought Shimano RC5 nearly 2 months ago and these shoes are good-looking aesthetics and have Adequate stiffness for multi-hour rides so you can go for these shoes.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Have a look on ebay. Had a few pairs of sidi off there and they have been excellent. Luckily Im a standard fit. Merlin cycles often have sidi deals