The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Pross said:

Anyone had deteriorating eyesight since having Covid?

Surely you need to do the standard test for Covid-related eyesight loss and drive to Barnard Castle and back?

• Stevo_666 said:

I've also recently started wearing varifocals, but I'd only be looking for other explanations if I was 30, not 50.

I fear the day when my optician says I need those, as then I'll be officially old and first against the wall when Rick takes power.
    on the plus side I am told that as your eyes adjust it can give you the same feeling as being p1ssed/stoned
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

Stevo_666 said:

I've also recently started wearing varifocals, but I'd only be looking for other explanations if I was 30, not 50.

I fear the day when my optician says I need those, as then I'll be officially old and first against the wall when Rick takes power.
    on the plus side I am told that as your eyes adjust it can give you the same feeling as being p1ssed/stoned
    I'm afraid that is just wishful thinking.
    Unless you've been drinking or smoking. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164

"It's just like flu."

Actually, its mortality rate is now below that of seasonal flu.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/13/whats-behind-the-mystery-of-thousands-of-excess-deaths-this-summer

I'm just waiting for someone to start a panicky, doom laden 'Big Flu' thread now :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,486
    Noticing that the similarities between Long Covid and ME/CFS seem to be finally gaining some traction. A big US study published recently and a piece on Today this morning. Would be good if this leads to a treatment for the latter after years of it not being taken seriously.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,282
    Stevo_666 said:

"It's just like flu."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/13/whats-behind-the-mystery-of-thousands-of-excess-deaths-this-summer

I'm just waiting for someone to start a panicky, doom laden 'Big Flu' thread now :)
    Yeah in retrospect it was all a lot of fuss about nothing wasn't it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry said:

Noticing that the similarities between Long Covid and ME/CFS seem to be finally gaining some traction. A big US study published recently and a piece on Today this morning. Would be good if this leads to a treatment for the latter after years of it not being taken seriously.

And post concussion syndrome, I'd suggest. I think many symptoms might well point back to disturbance of brain (autonomic) systems.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

"It's just like flu."

Yeah in retrospect it was all a lot of fuss about nothing wasn't it.
    If you say so. Maybe you should reply to Brian as he pointed out the current mortality rates.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Does nobody ever read articles before they respond?
  • rjsterry said:

Correlation is not causation. The jury is still out on ME, because they can't identify a cause, but it's taken more seriously than fibromyalgia.

That doesn't apply to long covid, because there's a known cause.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    CFS treatment often comes under the Mental Health services of most NHS trusts.
  • Does nobody ever read articles before they respond?

The answer to that is definitely not and a number of people don't even read articles before they share them.

If you want any traction you have to share an image or cut and paste
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    edited September 2022

Does nobody ever read articles before they respond?

It's a two and two makes 5 article. Pretty normal for the guardian. I mentioned the excess deaths thing afew weeks ago and it can't be "most importantly" attributed to covid at all. The data don't support that.
  • Anyone had their autumn booster yet? What did you get?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Anyone had their autumn booster yet? What did you get?

I'm awaiting the call. I am on five now - the last two were Moderna (after Oxford, Oxford, Pfizer).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Wife, daughter and inlaws all had Moderna (the spike one I think)
  • Pross said:

you mean the new dual one?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Just had the email on Friday
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Pross said:

you mean the new dual one?
    Yep
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    My Mother went to get her autumn jab last week but they weren't doing it that day. Thought she'd go back but hadn't got round to it yet. Called me yesterday to say she was feeling rough so did a test, she won't be having a jab for a while...
    Thankfully she's not feeling too bad. I normally go round there a couple of times a week, as my younger sister was staying with her I hadn't been this week.
    Hoping to get a message about my booster soon. I had the 'spring' one in mid-July so hopefully still have some resistance.
  • Just got the Moderna bivalent… :)
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    deleted
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Packs quite a punch this new vaccine. Very sore arm and had a bit of a temperature in the night... didn't sleep very much and woke up with a headache. Didn't have any real symptom with the previous lots... I guess no Tabata intervals today... :(
  • Booked in for simultaneous Covid booster and flu jabs in a couple of weeks. Sounds like it has potential for a day off to recover...
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Munsford0 said:

Booked in for simultaneous Covid booster and flu jabs in a couple of weeks. Sounds like it has potential for a day off to recover...

My Mum (87) had this on Saturday. Fine on Saturday but decicdedly second hand on Sunday.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Your Mum has 22 years head start on me. Wish her well!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    edited October 2022
    A bit of a surge going on... consultant friend said it's now 60 cases *with* covid in Exeter's RD&E, which is putting an additional strain on managing its control (protocols, and all that). I'll be happy to get my booster in a couple of weeks' time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/01/latest-covid-surge-a-heavy-straw-on-camels-back-for-every-hospital-in-uk
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited October 2022
    I thought I was paying the price for too much riding volume increase in the weeks before my hol, along with developing a sore throat on the first night that seemingly turned into a head cold.

Still cycled everyday, just had to cut back on intensity and duration.

Got back home, took a test this morning, instantly positive.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

I thought I was paying the price for too much riding volume increase in the weeks before my hol, along with developing a sore throat on the first night that seemingly turned into a head cold.

Still cycled everyday, just had to cut back on intensity and duration.

Got back home, took a test this morning, instantly positive.

Yeah, my dose in July probably wouldn't have dissuaded me from going into work, had it not been for the positive tests.