Dura ace 9000 52-36 172.5

Thinking about swapping my dura ace chainset for a compact as I don’t have the oomph to pedal this one!! It’s a 52-36 172.5 in fantastic condition with no heel rub
Came on a bike I bought recently second hand but the owner had run a compact ultegra for training. The dura ace was put back on to sell the bike
I’d need a dura ace compact in equal condition - I’m fussy, I don’t like heel rub at all and want something with low miles
Let me know if you have anything suitable
I’m in bristol and would prefer to meet up rather than post 👍🏻👍🏻

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Why don't you just change the chainrings to compact?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Yes, it will be the exact same crank and bb. Sometimes a complete crankset comes in cheaper, mind you.

Other option is just get a bigger cassette at the back. Unless you are daft enough to buy a DA cassette, it will be by far the cheapest option.
  • MattFalle
    Change chain rings, take a couple of links out of chain, lower mech.

15 mins.

job jobbed.
  • MattFalle said:

Change chain rings, take a couple of links out of chain, lower mech.

15 mins.

job jobbed.

Ots the cost of those outer chain rings that is the issue. They are stupidly over engineered, and so stupidly expensive.

Personally I think machining or stamping, or a combination, should be sufficient for making a chain ring, but shimano do all of that, then glue two bits together then bung a few pins in the back and charge 3 figures for a consumable.
  • Msp £165. On sale at sigma sports for £129. Add another £40 for the inner ring.

Alternatively, buy two or three 105 12-28 or 12-30 cassettes, a lock ring tool and a chain whip, and cycle happily for about 20000km for the same price you'd have to pay for cassettes anyway.
  • I’m trying not to be out of pocket as I’ve just bought the bike so ideally looking for a swap
    All good suggestions though, I may end up just buying one and selling mine when the compact arrives
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022

Msp £165. On sale at sigma sports for £129. Add another £40 for the inner ring.

Alternatively, buy two or three 105 12-28 or 12-30 cassettes, a lock ring tool and a chain whip, and cycle happily for about 20000km for the same price you'd have to pay for cassettes anyway.

Agree 100% its stupid ridic expensive but options:

1. bite the bullet
    2. buy and then sell current chainrings
    3. TA specialities
    4. Exactly as you say
    5. Carbon ones for max bling
    6. Buy a different make
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    edited September 2022
    (And 4, because they really are good)
  • MattFalle
    Great minds thinking alike.

👍👍
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I'd hunt for a replacement chainset, and then sell this on - it appears to be in good condition, so I think in the current climate would command a decent amount of cash.

The flip side is trying to find a 50/34 in decent condition, and the potential you would end up having to replace the chainrings in the not too distant future anyway.

Here's a thought - have you considered buying a relatively affordable inner 34T chainring for your crankset, and running it as a 52/34?

It is outside of the shimano 'recommended' range, but I run a 53/36 with absolutely no issues.

Another alternative would be if you have ever wanted to go for the Absolute Black chainrings, you could use this as an upgrade opportunity, and then sell the stock ones on, probably for a decent amount of money.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • The absolute black do look like a contender, decent price too👍🏻
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 106
    I like the 11 30 cassette idea. Or 11 32 depending what's on. Took me a while to get on to 52 36 with 11 28 on back(coming from 50 34), i just put 11 30 on and I do notice the difference. Least hassle and less money spent.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Will the rear mech handle a 32 sprocket.
  • dereko
    dereko Posts: 55
    edited September 2022
    Not sure it’ll handle 30 or 32 cassette ring (11-28 currently)
    I’ll check tomorrow but looks like a short cage to me
    Best pic I’ve got atm
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited September 2022
    If your rear mech copes (a medium definitely will), get an 11-34 cassette?

~£60 before loyalty discount and cashback https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-cs-r7000-cassette-11-speed-117086.html

With 32mm rear tyre, that will give approx 28.6 to 127.6 gear inches range, according to https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

With my 34/50 compact, this cassette gives 27 to 122.7 range. I've been using 11-34s for a few years now and they've been a revelation, I like the challenge of hills even though I'm the wrong side of 80Kg, so when I'm dead the 34/34 is very welcome! Plus the sprocket sizes give me more practical gears for climbing that are larger than ~16T, compared to the 11-32.

No idea if it's the cheapest source, but GS 105 mech is ~£37 with SALE15 code, bit of topcashback too. https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-derailleurs/shimano-105-r7000-rear-derailleur/11746883.html?variation=11746885
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have short cage rear mech and a 30 sprocket.
    However I have just realised mines a 9100 series.
  • MattFalle
    Wolftooth may well help with any cassette shenanigsans
  • dereko
    dereko Posts: 55
    edited September 2022
    Found a compact for £150, gonna go that way for now so I’ll probably put the 52-36 up for sale here in a couple weeks - or just keep it for a spare not sure yet, see what the compact looks like first
    Had my first ride on it today and while it’s fast on the flats it’s brutal (for me) on the climbs !! 😂
    Thanks for the replies, some good info there 👍🏻