New Edge 530 - any tips for getting the best out of it?

just been treated to this as a birthday present. Any tips from experienced users on setting it up / day to day use?

What do you use to create courses and how do you sync them to the device?

I'll probably wade through the instructions anyway but any tips gratefully received

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,938
    Setting up displays will be a personal thing so just trial & error.
    I use Garmin Connect on my laptop for routes and hard wire for the bigger screen but I’m sure you can use a phone and sync wirelessly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I use Garmin Connect to set up routes and transfer them - it's not bad. Create them on the laptop and transfer through bluetooth from the phone using the app.

For normal riding, I have a few screens - default one is only power and speed, I don't see the point in having masses of data that you can't read at a glance.

Second one is power, average lap speed and lap distance (if ever doing intervals or trying to beat a time on something), third is everything else - time of day, speed, NP, elapsed time, distance. Only look at that occasionally.

Used to have something set up for strava segments but I'm way off my pace from three years ago so have binned that (and binned strava premium). It was pretty good seeing real time whether you were ahead or behind though.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 419
    edited September 2022
    Always work off routes/courses to utilise the climb pro feature ,It's great .
    Create routes on connect or strava ,once created or if its sent by a friend just favourite it (star it ) it auto syncs next time you turn on your garmin it will be in the courses
  • I've got Garmin connect on our aging laptop but it's not got bluetooth. Maybe I need to treat it to a £5 dongle...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,391
    edited September 2022
    Munsford0 said:

I've got Garmin connect on our aging laptop but it's not got bluetooth. Maybe I need to treat it to a £5 dongle...

The routes can go across to the Garmin from a smartphone. No need to ever connect the Garmin to a laptop (assuming you have a phone). If you don't, just plug the garmin into the laptop, no need for a dongle.

I don't know how any of that would work, as Connect is just a website for me (on the laptop). Nothing stored locally.
  • I do have a new-ish iPhone. Also an iPad. Sounds like I need to investigate my new technology ecosystem...
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,159
    Definitely connect your phone, it opens up a range of functionality like syncing automatically at the end of the ride. There is other set up stuff that is just much easier on the phone through the Garmin connect app than on the device itself (personal details, adding Wifi networks etc.). It also opens up Connect IQ apps, though personally I've not found much worth bothering with.

The battery life on the 530 is so much better than on my old 1000 that you can always run it on navigation. This opens up climbpro as mentioned but also its the first Garmin I've had that lets you keep it on the data field page and pops up turn instructions at sensible points when you need them.

I personally prefer to create my routes on Strava - when you're set up correctly and you link your Strava to your Connect account you star the routes and they download when the Garmin connects to the phone (which should be all the time). Strava has its "use popularity" feature which naturally guides you away from roads you really wouldn't want to ride on. Only thing be careful if you're navigating over longer distances that it doesn't route you through towns you don't need to be routed through (these will typically be "popular" roads just because of people starting / stopping there). You can always tweak the routes by dragging the lines around.

If you want to know about the functionality on the 530 I'd recommend reading the DC rainmaker review when it first came out https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html - covers everything and if there is something that piques your interest then dive into device to set it up. But the main thing about the 530 is that it just works... battery lasts for ages, it connects up to my power meter, radar, records data, syncs etc.
  • Munsford0 said:

I do have a new-ish iPhone. Also an iPad. Sounds like I need to investigate my new technology ecosystem...

If you use Strava or Garmin connect or some other route making site/app can get it to Sync to the Garmin, I have a very old computer which I only connect up to the Garmin maybe few times a year. As it collects updates etc from WiFi and so on.

I like that it’s connected to phone so I can see who has texted/ringing so can make choice to ignore or stop.

I have the 830 so touch screen but mate has 530 which is broadly the same san touchscreen.

The manual is quite good for setting up the display and profiles I have MTB and Gravel as that’s what I do!
  • Well I created a 33 mile circular course in Garmin Connect on the phone and synced it to the Garmin. Successfully rode said course following the turn prompts, which already puts the 530 way ahead of the demented Touring model it replaces. It took me down some roads I'd never ridden before, which was nice. At one point I could see it wanted to take me 500 yards up a narrow lane and back again. (I'm assuming Garmin Connect lifted somebody else's ride and they went up there for a coffe stop or a pee break) I ignored it and it quickly rejoined the course. Next I encountered a closed bridge; I knew a 3 mile detour so ignored a lot of off course bleeping to rejoin the course, at which point the garmin happily recommenced navigation.

Overall, a promising start :)
  • The Connect software is pretty good these days though you do need to be careful when plotting the route as it's very easy to get some erroneous way points which is probably what happened to you Munsford.
    I usually have a run through the route in more detail before finalising just to try and make sure there are no blips in it.
  • pblakeney
    As above, check the route as it will sometimes take you down dirt paths.
    Still better than some of the National Cycle Route paths but still....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • super_davo
    This is precisely why I value Strava routes over Connect, Ridewithgps or Komoot... With the "Most popular" feature you summon the wisdom of the masses of road cyclists in a particular area. That means hardly any dirt detours, and in the very few occasions you get them, it's for a reason e.g. cutting out a heavy traffic road.
  • This is precisely why I value Strava routes over Connect, Ridewithgps or Komoot... With the "Most popular" feature you summon the wisdom of the masses of road cyclists in a particular area. That means hardly any dirt detours, and in the very few occasions you get them, it's for a reason e.g. cutting out a heavy traffic road.

Connect has something similar, doesn't it? Been a while since I created a route.
  • pblakeney

This is precisely why I value Strava routes over Connect, Ridewithgps or Komoot... With the "Most popular" feature you summon the wisdom of the masses of road cyclists in a particular area. That means hardly any dirt detours, and in the very few occasions you get them, it's for a reason e.g. cutting out a heavy traffic road.

Connect has something similar, doesn't it? Been a while since I created a route.
    It does indeed. Trouble with this feature (on any app) is that it includes people on mtb's etc. and commuters who are not out on a road bike for a leisurely pedal.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • super_davo
    pblakeney said:

It does indeed. Trouble with this feature (on any app) is that it includes people on mtb's etc. and commuters who are not out on a road bike for a leisurely pedal.
    Correct but you set in Strava if you're a road cyclist so it filters out the MTB and gravel etc. (hence why it's better). And no I'm not paid by then!
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Correct but you set in Strava if you're a road cyclist so it filters out the MTB and gravel etc. (hence why it's better). And no I'm not paid by then!
    Garmin has the same filter. It's not flawless.
    Neither is Strava. I just checked and it sends me down the same gravel path.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Munsford0 said:

just been treated to this as a birthday present. Any tips from experienced users on setting it up / day to day use?

What do you use to create courses and how do you sync them to the device?

I create courses in RidewithGPS. It is my preferred route planner. I save them as GPX files and copy them to my Garmin. You put them in the newfiles folder.

You should install Garmin Express on your computer and register your unit with it. That is the only way to update the Garmin maps. You will need to plug the device into a computer if you want to use third party maps.

I don't connect my Garmin to my phone. I do all my syncing with Garmin Express.

Turn off route recalculation. It won't do what you think it will. If you go off course get yourself back on course and the navigation will resume.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,981
    I route with both Strava and RidewithGPS. Strava automatically synchs, but RWGPS you have to download the route to the courses folder using the IQ section on the Garmin. It's easy but an extra step. If the route starts away from where you are (eg a Club Ride), make sure you have done this step first or you have to end your ride to download the route to the Courses folder on the Garmin.

Live Track is good if you have an OH who might be wondering where you are.
    The Emergency Notification can be a blessing or a pain - it's a bit sensitive if you stop suddenly, but it does send a message to the OH (or whoever) if you have crashed.

Climb Pro is great as you can pace yourself on a climb, or know when it is going to get harder or easier.

Having messages or phone calls come through can also be helpful as I rarely hear my phone ring or beep when riding.