A Level Results - Parent Stress!

Dunno if any other folk on here were completely stressed out this morning by the above? Son was annoying nonchalantly cool about the whole affair whilst I was sweating it out with nausea and stomach issues like a bad dose of the Dengue Fever. I felt sick.
Off he trots and returns some hours later after being to the pub for a few pints with his mates and casually mentions he has 4 A* results! Bloomin' heck. The lad is brainy. Secured a place at Oxford too!
Feeling so totally relieved but I can now see any spending on bike related matter for me won't be happening for at least 4 more years! VVV Proud dad moment though.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,333
    Excellent, well done junior photo.
    Not this year, but the lad was given an unconditional offer if he didn't take a year off, or 3 A's if he deferred. He still deferred, got A* and 2 A's thankfully. He claimed he wasn't worried, us parents on the other hand...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006

Dunno if any other folk on here were completely stressed out this morning by the above? Son was annoying nonchalantly cool about the whole affair whilst I was sweating it out with nausea and stomach issues like a bad dose of the Dengue Fever. I felt sick.
    Off he trots and returns some hours later after being to the pub for a few pints with his mates and casually mentions he has 4 A* results! Bloomin' heck. The lad is brainy. Secured a place at Oxford too!
    Feeling so totally relieved but I can now see any spending on bike related matter for me won't be happening for at least 4 more years! VVV Proud dad moment though.

Get some orders in now while the household mood is up!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    All chilled in our house. Son up for a 7.30 am interview with a Tassie school. 8.05 results in by email. 9.00 am into town for a haircut. 10.00 work until 6.00 pm for him.
    There was nothing that could be done to change anything at this point so why stress?
    Son says 98% of his year have got into their first choice Unis, even if they didn't all quite get the grades in their offers. Given the size of the year, that means one person didn't!
    Son and his mates are off clubbing tonight, and then he's working again tomorrow at 10.00 am.

Fantastic results for Photo Jnr, but just taking 4 A levels means he was going to do very well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    This time with my youngest it was very relaxed, she did a vocational qualification rather than A levels and only needed a pass to meet her offer. The only pressure was her own hope of getting a distinction which we all thought was likely, the only slight doubt being that her Welsh Bacc got included in the overall grade.

My elder daughter was far more stressful but her more than us. She’d decided that of all the offers she’d had the only one she was interested in was Manchester Uni and the closer we got to results day the more convinced she was that she wouldn’t get the grades. She had always wanted to join the police but they weren’t recruiting so in the last few days before results she’d started looking at joining the Army as an MP as her back up.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Jesus don't let her go into politics.
  • Pross

She’s far too straight talking!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Pross said:

Assuming you meant military police. Cracking role in the army and can lead to an amazing life with opportunities you’d never expected
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Pross
    itboffin said:

Pross said:

Assuming you meant military police. Cracking role in the army and can lead to an amazing life with opportunities you’d never expected
    Yeah, I think she would have done well if she’d gone down that route. She eventually got talked out of joining the police during her time at Uni (ex-police officers lecturing on her criminology course and best friend who joined) and is now working for the Probation Service.
  • Well done to all forum-offspring who got what they needed, and fingers crossed that it works out for those for whom yesterday didn't have a happy ending.

We've had a rollercoaster ride this academic year. My youngest was doing her A-levels and decided to up the pressure by applying to Oxford to maths. That didn't work out, and it was an awful process, as there was no set results day. She just got an email saying "Thanks but no thanks" one Saturday afternoon. She was at a swimming gala and the email landed just as she was heading to her blocks for her race. Despite crying through the whole race, that was actually her best outing of the weekend!

It took some effort for her to refocus, but she did. Mocks went well, as did most of the exams. And her first choice offer was quite "relaxed" relative to what she was likely to get. But even so, from the start of this week, I was a nervous wreck. (I think my "superpower" is to get nervous on behalf of the kids. My heart rate once exceeded 140 just watching a swimming race!)

My daughter is something of a perfectionist, and whilst she said she would be happy getting the grades to go to her first choice Uni, we all knew that there was only one set of results that would really satisfy her.

Work commitments meant that in the final hour before the results were released, I was out running with the dog, and this outlet for nervous energy saved me from spontaneous combustion I think. Thankfully the text from my daughter shortly after 8am was positive, but I think I aged several centuries, if not the whole thousand years this week.

Then of course the real worry kicked in - how wild was the celebration party going to be? Thankfully this ended OK, though I doubt the youngster will be straying too far from the sofa today!
  • Well done all. Sounds like everyone did amazing.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Haven't seen the admissions figures yet, but I've heard we have done well this year... for a change... inverting the trend after 5 years of decline

#letskeepourjobs
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

Well done all. Sounds like everyone did amazing.

Isn't that part of the problem?

#schoolsportsday
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Well done to all! It’s taken a huge amount of resilience to get here and I’m seriously impressed by the way these young people have dealt with the problems of the last couple of years.

And huge kudos to all of you parents supporting them too!
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    I am impressed. The thread title led me to expect tales of doom and gloom. Quite the opposite; well done to all.