The whatever footie that's going on (with actual fans) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Gascoigne you say? :)
    https://youtu.be/Op4zA-RWZQc
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Oh yeah, 1996 Euros. How did that work out for Ingerlaand blokes? Recall lost in the semis to Germany. Ingerlish blokes, ain't got it have they? Chapeau the women.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Oh yeah, 1996 Euros. How did that work out for Ingerlaand blokes? Recall lost in the semis to Germany. Ingerlish blokes, ain't got it have they? Chapeau the women.

It beats talking about Scottish football I guess :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Well that was fun - watched all the England games and quite a few of the rest and thoroughly enjoyed it - the style of play has developed massively in the last 10 years - used to watch club games on TV with my footballing daughter (who was at Wembley) and think this isn't selling it to anyone.

Couple of games England got that bit of luck but you need that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    Ten Haag really should have heeded the advice of his compatriat Louis van Gaal and avoided the poisoned chalice.
  • Stevo_666

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
    Ten Haag really should have heeded the advice of his compatriat Louis van Gaal and avoided the poisoned chalice.

Best start to the season since 92/93 - if you're not a Manure fan :)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Borough aren’t doing that well either.
  • Stevo_666
    edited August 2022
    webboo said:

Borough aren’t doing that well either.

True, but that doesn't dim the joy of seeing Manure suffer.
  • DeVlaeminck
    I could never understand why so many Utd fans on social media were so keen on Ten Hag. Ok he may come good but the Dutch league is a notoriously poor guide to success in England - Frank de Boer and Philip Cocu being two managerial examples.

• Stevo_666

I could never understand why so many Utd fans on social media were so keen on Ten Hag. Ok he may come good but the Dutch league is a notoriously poor guide to success in England - Frank de Boer and Philip Cocu being two managerial examples.

Louis van Gaal hardly inspired either.

Still, worth taking a screenshot of the league table for posterity.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2022
    No doubt Anthony Taylor will enjoy his season ticket at the Spurs stadium.
    Clear yellow card foul let go, resulting in Spurs first goal.
    And then to condone pulling someone's hair.

The red cards for the managers were 100% down to the incompetence of the officials.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    edited August 2022

The red cards for the managers were 100% down to the incompetence of the officials.

I dunno - Cunte and Turtle having a playgroundesque ding dong. Pi$$ poor behaviour.

I was happy neither took 3 points from the game.
    Chelsea went in to the interval only 1-0 up after being all over the Spuds - that was their error and they eventually paid for it even if the Spud goals were iffy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

No doubt Anthony Taylor will enjoy his season ticket at the Spurs stadium.
    Clear yellow card foul let go, resulting in Spurs first goal.
    And then to condone pulling someone's hair.

I think it must be at least partly down to the poor baby managers not being able to control themselves after their little game got a bit too much for them.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I'm thinking something wasn't quite right with the handshake.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

• pinno
    Tush said in interview stuff that was along the lines of entertainment.
    really?
  • Stevo_666

• pinno
    Tomorrow, the FA will hear from Tush and Cunte.

Hopefully a 10 match touchline ban or summat.
    Preferably, community service: Tush in Spud land and Cunte in Ch...
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited August 2022
    Aug 17 (Reuters) - Elon Musk, the world's richest person, briefly lifted the gloom over Manchester United's (MANU.N) shares and fans on Wednesday by saying he was buying the English soccer club - only to say a little later it was all part of "a long-running joke".

One of the world's most successful soccer clubs, the "Red Devils" are languishing at the bottom of England's Premier League and, having seen eight coaches come and go in less than 10 years, some fans and investors are wondering whether it's time for its owners, the American Glazer family, to sell up.

Enter the billionaire CEO of Tesla (TSLA.O).

"To be clear, I support the left half of the Republican Party and the right half of the Democratic Party! Also, I'm buying Manchester United ur (sic) welcome - Elon Musk," the 51-year-old tweeted to his 103 million followers.

Some of the club's fans had previously urged Musk on Twitter to consider buying the club, complaining at what they see as under-investment by the Glazers. United haven't won the English league title since the glory days of manager Alex Ferguson, claiming the last of their record 20 wins in 2013.

Within six hours of his tweet, Musk's message had attracted more than 500,000 'likes' on the club's main Twitter account - though some users didn't take it too seriously, comparing his tweet with his troubled run at buying Twitter (TWTR.N).

But then came the clarification.

"No, this is a long-running joke on Twitter. I'm not buying any sports teams," Musk posted, when asked by a user if he was serious about buying United.

"Although, if it were any team, it would be Man U," he added. "They were my fav (sic) team as a kid."

The Florida-based Glazer family did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Manchester United (MANU.N) declined to comment.

United fans were not impressed.

"It's just a tweet from somebody who not always thinking twice before write something (sic)," The Manchester United Fanatics Club Hungary said.

The Kolkata fans club added: "It again reinstated the fact that Elon and his tweets are just gimmicks. Although it would have been great if he really invested 1/10th of what he paid for Twitter to own this legendary club ... the entire fan base is sick and tired of the Glazers."

Even so, Musk's musings ignited trading in the company's U.S. listed shares ahead of the New York market open.

The club's shares briefly jumped as much as 17% in early U.S. pre-market trade before settling around $13.20, about 3% above Tuesday's closing price
    https://www.reuters.com/business/elon-musk-says-he-will-buy-manchester-united-2022-08-17/
  • pinno

United fans were not impressed.

Ha ha ha!

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited October 2022
    interesting reading, epecially the fella at the end. then again, with him, we lll know its always, always been about the money, money, money in every aspect of what he does.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/08/blatter-to-beckham-who-was-in-the-room-when-qatar-got-the-world-cup
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Should really put this in the Trivial Cheer thread, 'cept warden Brian would be foomin'.

Odd how the Chelski sorry make that now Chel$ea fanbois have gone all quiet. Spend, spend, spend, lose, lose, lose. And as for the latest expensive temporary superstar lasting all of 58 minutes.... snigger.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Stevo_666 said:
    Fit and proper person.
  • The offside rule is now insane.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

The offside rule is now insane.

Yes, but whatever the rules of the game, the players are going to look for the letter not the spirit. As an F1 fan as well (less so since they dispensed with the rules in favour of Netflix) I actually admire a certain amount of gamesmanship.
  • The offside rule is now insane.

Yes, but whatever the rules of the game, the players are going to look for the letter not the spirit. As an F1 fan as well (less so since they dispensed with the rules in favour of Netflix) I actually admire a certain amount of gamesmanship.

It's a fucking weird one. :D
  • DeVlaeminck
    I think that's offside even under the current laws "making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball".