Buying from Ali Express

I need to buy a few electrical components, and the only place that seems to have them in stock for less that the price of what I'm trying to mend is Ali Express.

According to the UK customs and excise webpage, there won't be anything to pay when the package reaches the UK as long at the value is less than £135.

But few years ago, my son bought me a gift, could have been from USA, and I ended up paying duty to receive it despite it being less than £12 !

Anyone with experience of buying from Ali Express know what the procedure is please?

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Can’t help with the specifics too much.
    But that £12 you paid. That sounds similar to the fee the likes of UPS charge simply to process a shipment.
    Could that be the case?
    But yes, stuff under £135 has since come in with no charges (from eu in my case but that should be no different now to China).
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    edited July 2022
    Cheers @morstar, however, didn't pay £12 (that was the value of the items), I think I was charged closer to £18. (cheers son :) )

As you say, the large portion of it was the handling fee to the customs' agent at the airport if i recall correctly, to collect a few pounds of VAT.

I think the £135 limit is a new one which has come in to force since that.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I've bought loads from Aliexpress, always under £135 - don't think I'd have the balls to spend anywhere near that on Ali!

Never had to pay any charges, either before or after the B word.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I usually buy my fishing lures from Aliexpress, but since the beginning of last year I now get charged VAT at the point of paying, but then no charges when they arrive in the UK
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    capt_slog said:

According to the UK customs and excise webpage, there won't be anything to pay when the package reaches the UK as long at the value is less than £135.

But few years ago, my son bought me a gift, could have been from USA, and I ended up paying duty to receive it despite it being less than £12 !

The import rules changed when Brexit happened so what happened a few years ago is irrelevant. Now if the goods plus shipping is under £135 you pay VAT at point of sale and the goods should not be stopped at customs. If the goods are over £135 then you don't pay VAT at point of sale and they are subject to VAT and import duty on import.

I have bought several things from Ali Express that were under £135 and there were no extra charges. They just turned up in the post.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Bought chainrings, Aliexpress adds automatically shipping and tax costs at the checkout... I assume the tax is the import tax
    left the forum March 2023
  • capt_slog
    Thanks, All.

I ordered my stuff and it's on its way.

These components were quite scarce when i looked. Some of the major players (Farnell, RS etc) had 52 weeks lead times on the them. So I bought a few extra and might shove them up someone else on ebay.

• pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 330
    Mate of mine, electronic engineer, here in Germany, buys from them.
    He says stuff always arrive, but sometimes it takes weeks.
    Sometimes he has to pay extra at delivery. No way to know this beforehand.
  • capt_slog
    Update.

My stuff arrived on Aug 2nd, actually a couple of days early. As predicted by those in the know, I didn't have to pay anything extra, the package just turned up with the mail.

It's taken me this long to get around to fitting the parts I ordered, I've also been putting the job off to forestall the disappointment when it didn't work.

But it did! A small grid tie inverter is now feeding a little back into the mains. I'm so chuffed.

BTW I keep getting emails from Ali Express, the things you can buy from there :o

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    capt_slog said:

Update.

BTW I keep getting emails from Ali Express, the things you can buy from there :o

Yes, the level of harassment is off the scale

left the forum March 2023