Anyone for the Commies?

Mad_Malx
Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
edited July 2022 in The cake stop
Not really fussed but anyway -

I’ll kick off with triathlon (‘cos it’s got bikes in it). The Kiwi seemed remarkably relaxed about 10s penalty that cost him the gold to Yee.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    My old clubmate's daughter is in the track sprint bronze medal race soon and I've got a friend running the women's marathon tomorrow so I'm keeping an eye on it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Slightly more interesting than the foredooming* World Cup, but that's not saying much.

*Spell checked forecoming. Well done spell check, well done! 👏👏👏
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited July 2022
    Pross said:

My old clubmate's daughter is in the track sprint bronze medal race soon and I've got a friend running the women's marathon tomorrow so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Yup.

They are Rachel's girls and they just won the bronze in the team sprint and set a new record.

(which lasted about 5 minutes but still faster than Canada who took silver)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Didn't realise Rachel was coaching them.
  • Pross
    Have to admit I thought this was going to be another politics thread at first.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Just finished catching up with the track stuff, only thing I could think of when watching the medal ceremonies was Jim Bowen handing out "Bendy Bullys" to the contestants.
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross said:

Didn't realise Rachel was coaching them.

Did you catch Sir Hoy giving both Rachel and Becky a plug?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Mad_Malx said:

Not really fussed but anyway -

I’ll kick off with triathlon (‘cos it’s got bikes in it). The Kiwi seemed remarkably relaxed about 10s penalty that cost him the gold to Yee.

Yee and Wilde are good mates in a similar being to Pog and Vingegaard seem to get on really well.
    Wilde knew he was beaten when he got informed of the penalty so just pressed on to ensure 2nd.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Tried to get Track tickets when I realised they’re using Lea Valley velodrome (spotted “village” signs and a guy carrying a PlanetX box, after work on Wednesday!), but nothing available on dates I can make.

Will watch on the TV. Can honestly take or leave the other disciplines.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    pblakeney said:

Slightly more interesting than the foredooming* World Cup, but that's not saying much.

“Forecoming”???

Did you mean “forthcoming”?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,047
    edited July 2022
    Pross said:

I’ve been beaten a few times at triathlon by the father of one of the Welsh guys in the triathlon yesterday.

Though my best claim to fame is regularly being beaten by Pidcock Senior at cyclocross.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

pblakeney said:

“Forecoming”???

Did you mean “forthcoming”?
    That's why spell check corrected me. Not only that but improved. Me likey.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    Congratulations on bronze, but can't the skinsuit designers do better than this?

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited July 2022
    masjer said:

Congratulations on bronze, but can't the skinsuit designers do better than this?

Wait until you see the suits worn by Team Wales in the opening ceremony... ;)
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    edited July 2022

masjer said:

Mmm, not the best look.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Going to watch the road race in Warwick next Sunday. I met a Canadian triathlete training around Kenilworth last Tuesday, I wished her good luck for the race... she didn't get a medal, oh well....
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross

masjer said:

They were hideous, I know one person who was embarrassed wearing theirs
  • Pross
    The tandem rider sulking at not getting bronze due to there only being 4 entries deciding to hold an unofficial ceremony just as the starter was about to send off the team sprin medal match was out of order. It's not a school sports day where you get a medal for turning up
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,713
    Pross said:

masjer said:

A Julian McDonald creation.
    Perhaps it was supposed to scare the bull…

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Pross said:

The tandem rider sulking at not getting bronze due to there only being 4 entries deciding to hold an unofficial ceremony just as the starter was about to send off the team sprin medal match was out of order. It's not a school sports day where you get a medal for turning up

if there were 4 teams, then they should be awarded a medal for being 3rd... if there were only three teams, then it makes sense not to award a medal... they had to win a race to get 3rd...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross

Pross said:

if there were 4 teams, then they should be awarded a medal for being 3rd... if there were only three teams, then it makes sense not to award a medal... they had to win a race to get 3rd...
    Rules are there are only gold and silver in events with less than 5 riders and they were made aware of that. It didn't help that the race was shown as a bronze medal match but that is just the standard term. Either way, you don't go and do something just as another race is about to start and the riders are waiting on the starter's announced, it's disrespectful.

I'd also question whether the event should be included if you are only getting 4 or 5 entrants.
  • imposter2.0
    Pross said:

masjer said:

Fortunately, most of the trackies managed to avoid wearing them, as they missed the ceremony due to being in Lee Valley for the next day. The weird thing is, they still seem to have been issued with the suits regardless. Expect to see a few on Ebay in the next few weeks.. ;)
  • blazing_saddles

Pross said:

The UCI agree that it's not a school sports day and have now fined the pair 200CHF.
  • Pross
    Surely they should have some minimum standards or elimination races for the lower ranked nations in track cycling? So far we've had a crash more or less immediately from the Seychelles rider who then got dropped more or less immediately on the restart, Trinidad rider getting dropped not much later and another rider causing a crash dropping down the banking without looking in the first scratch race qualifier.

Slightly surprised how many riders aren't wearing mitts as well. Seems a pointless risk and I always though they were compulsory in track racing.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited July 2022
    Just seen Red Walters is live in mens track representing Grenada, local alien who normally road rides from around Eastleigh! :o
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Bad crash on the final lap of the second scratch qualifier with a rider ending up in the crowd and a spinal board out for another.
  • Pross
    Bostock being stretchered off and not looking good. BBC sensibly not showing replays yet.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Aftermath looked bad, camera seemed ahead of crash and Red fortunately wasn't caught up, crazy how one rider might have gone into the crowd according to commentators.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • imposter2.0
    Pross said:

Slightly surprised how many riders aren't wearing mitts as well. Seems a pointless risk and I always though they were compulsory in track racing.

I don't think there is any compulsion at UCI/world level, or even at national level. There is enforcement at local level, but I think that's about as far as it goes.