friday summer's lease hath all too short a date

'ning

brr, nippy, but sky lightening, should be a bright start in london

cafes, do stuff, arrange death squad, catnap
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Frozen bottle of water had melted within 14 mins on my run and was then finished too early in my run so feel pants now.

Out for a fish lunch by the sea and live music later
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    edited July 2022
    Would have had a lie in but the prospect of a full English at the pub where I'm staying has enticed me out of bed :) More visits round the home town then off up to Durham later.

It's bacon o'clock...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Off to the Southern reaches of the land of Clyde to retrieve the Old Merc*.

Sun is out. Should be cycling instead. Humph.

*By train!

That slope is much more conducive to wheelbarrowing/skateboarding/wheelies 'Loon.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521
    edited July 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Firstly, beans have no place on the plate, fried slice instead.
    Secondly, even if you have to have beans, to let them touch the eggs is a crime, you should use a sausage as a breakwater.
    Thirdly though - :) (except for the bean/egg conjunction)
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    edited July 2022
    Morning, wfh today. Neighbour is finishing the decking so I will have many a bbq this weekend to test it.

Conundrum time. A friend of mine has invited me back to ride bikes at his house in Piedmont for a long weekend at the end of October. OH/twins are technically due 20th of December but it we (and the doctors) are planning on late November. I have a range of options:

A) Don't go
    B ) Don't tell OH and book closer to the time if she's still mobile etc
    C) Tell OH and decide together that I shouldn't go
    D) Book now and be prepared to cancel if she can't move or is about to pop
    E) Book now and go regardless

B and D are quite similar in ethos. I'm leaning towards B
  • beansnikpoh
    Don't not tell her - that's asking for trouble.

Tell O/H, book now to get best flight price, be prepared to cancel depending on how enormous/about to pop she is. You'll spend all your time while you're there worrying anyway, plus she'll hold it over your head FOR EVER if anything does go amiss.

Does she have anyone nearby who can come and cluck over her while you're away?
  • haydenm

Don't not tell her - that's asking for trouble.

Tell O/H, book now to get best flight price, be prepared to cancel depending on how enormous/about to pop she is. You'll spend all your time while you're there worrying anyway, plus she'll hold it over your head FOR EVER if anything does go amiss.

Does she have anyone nearby who can come and cluck over her while you're away?

This is the sort of sensible advice I wasn't expecting. We have local friends but all family are 3hrs plus away. OH is fairly well used to me doing stupid things so I think she would accept that it's not out of character. I think the main issue will be her immobility and dealing with our dogs by that point. We are only half way through and the bump is quite large...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Stevo_666 said:

Who has a fry up with poached eggs!?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    haydenm said:

Morning, wfh today. Neighbour is finishing the decking so I will have many a bbq this weekend to test it.

Conundrum time. A friend of mine has invited me back to ride bikes at his house in Piedmont for a long weekend at the end of October. OH/twins are technically due 20th of December but it we (and the doctors) are planning on late November. I have a range of options:

A) Don't go

I’d go with C. You might be pleasantly surprised.
  • seanoconn

Stevo_666 said:

Firstly, beans have no place on the plate, fried slice instead.
    Secondly, even if you have to have beans, to let them touch the eggs is a crime, you should use a sausage as a breakwater.
    Thirdly though - :) (except for the bean/egg conjunction)
    We’ll have to agree to disagree about the beans beans. And why substitute for a fried slice when you could have both. Probably the only thing I can’t stand on a fry up is tinned tomatoes. I can tolerate a fried tomato as it can easily be moved to one side without its juice invading the rest of my items.
  • beansnikpoh
    seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Me. I see it as similar to having a diet fizzy pop with a double cheeseburger and fries. I also love poached eggs.

Hierarchy of eggs for me is:

1. Poached
    2. Fried
    3. Soft boiled
    4. Egg mayonnaise
    5. Baked
    6. Scrambled (though if I do fancy scrambled eggs, nothing else will do)
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

Me. I see it as similar to having a diet fizzy pop with a double cheeseburger and fries. I also love poached eggs.

1. Poached
    2. Fried
    3. Soft boiled
    4. Egg mayonnaise
    5. Baked
    Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy a poached egg but if we’re going full gut buster, artery clogger, we may as well go all in. And a perfectly cooked poached egg is far easier to mess up than fried or scrambled, particularly in a cafe.

Liking the eggs order, although I’d have scrambled higher. Soldiers with the soft boiled?
  • seanoconn
    edited July 2022
    @Stevo_666

Having one of these while you’re there?

• seanoconn
    edited July 2022
    ….
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Stevo_666 said:

Where's (or whaur's) the haggis and the tattie scone?

Also no ta to beans. The out of the tin type that is.

Almost temporary-fixed the missing rainwater guttering section issue, just need to find 1m of std downpipe. And no I don't have any bits long enough. Or if I do I can't find. To the building suppliers I go.
  • pinno
    haydenm said:

A) Don't go

Have the babies in Italy.

That would be romantico and then in future, they could have duel citizenship more easily and be in the EU.
  • pinno
    Tinned toms on toast - lovely.

Fried brekkie - fugging 'orrible.

Poached eggs for me with a sprinkle of black pepper, salt and smoked paprika.

The Concorde café on Bristol street used to do fried brekkies and they were nice and dry, not greasy. Lovely hash browns.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    I love poached eggs on sourdough toast, probably my go to breakfast.

Work until 2, then fanny about for a bit at home with some packing and stuff. MrsHD is out later so I think I might do a bit of WFH as I'm a little busy.

Should I be on here? Probably not...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • haydenm
    pinno said:

haydenm said:

A) Don't go

Have the babies in Italy.

That would be romantico and then in future, they could have duel citizenship more easily and be in the EU.
    Could do, I can get Irish citizenship through my Grandad but I have no idea if that transfers another generation of non-irish birth
  • beansnikpoh
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

1. Poached
    2. Fried
    3. Soft boiled
    4. Egg mayonnaise
    5. Baked
    Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy a poached egg but if we’re going full gut buster, artery clogger, we may as well go all in. And a perfectly cooked poached egg is far easier to mess up than fried or scrambled, particularly in a cafe.

Liking the eggs order, although I’d have scrambled higher. Soldiers with the soft boiled?
    Of course - buttered soldiers. A pinch of salt on the yolk prior to dippage.

My brother made an egg curry once. That was good, but not to be repeated.

Scotch eggs are good - posh ones though - not the ones you get from the garage. Dab of English mustard.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Slack morning, went for a walk and ended up chatting to bloke down the road about his new caravan thing for a half hour.

Visit to dentist this afternoon to get repairs done on work he did a couple weeks ago. 🙄

Too late when we got home to bother doing much.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

1. Poached
    2. Fried
    3. Soft boiled
    4. Egg mayonnaise
    5. Baked
    in no particular order...

scrambled - no adding dairy, so called cooks who claim otherwise can go suck a cow
    omelet - see scrambled for rules, with diced chilli
    poached - must have no uncongealed white
    fried - see poached for rules, ideally in a club sandwich, or on top of steak haché
    raw - yolk on the steak tartare
    hard boiled - in sandwich or mayo'd

• beansnikpoh
    sungod said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

1. Poached
    2. Fried
    3. Soft boiled
    4. Egg mayonnaise
    5. Baked

scrambled - no adding dairy, so called cooks who claim otherwise can go suck a cow
    fried - see poached for rules, ideally in a club sandwich, or on top of steak haché

Is butter dairy though? You can't make scrambled or an omelette without butter can you?

No milk or cream certainly.
  • haydenm
    For anyone interested, C was what transpired and we have agreed that I shouldn't go.

Perfectly reasonably I wouldn't want to miss said twins arriving if they came early, and she will struggle with the dogs when I'm away
  • beansnikpoh
    haydenm said:

For anyone interested, C was what transpired and we have agreed that I shouldn't go.

Perfectly reasonably I wouldn't want to miss said twins arriving if they came early, and she will struggle with the dogs when I'm away

C was always likely absent a mother hen to come for the weekend.

Can you not just let the dogs out to chase the rabbits in the garden for a couple of days? Or do you have super boisterous dogs that need 2 hours of vigorous exercise?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434

sungod said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

1. Poached
    2. Fried
    3. Soft boiled
    4. Egg mayonnaise
    5. Baked

Is butter dairy though? You can't make scrambled or an omelette without butter can you?

No milk or cream certainly.
    butter is dairy, i've never had a problem making scrambled eggs or omelets without it

tbh if they only use a smidge it's ok, but some end up swimming in the stuff
  • haydenm

haydenm said:

C was always likely absent a mother hen to come for the weekend.

Can you not just let the dogs out to chase the rabbits in the garden for a couple of days? Or do you have super boisterous dogs that need 2 hours of vigorous exercise?
    Two boisterous Labradors, they are quite happy running up the track behind the woods twice a day really but they can be a handful sometimes
  • seanoconn
    sungod said:

seanoconn said:

Stevo_666 said:

1. Poached
    2. Fried
    3. Soft boiled
    4. Egg mayonnaise
    5. Baked

Missus just sent me a pic of her dinner

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Evening folks,
    A long and busy day in the orifice, went to the cafe with the now former MD and a couple of others, I did have bubble, very good too. Sausage, egg, beans (sorry beans), mushrooms and bubble all washed down with a mug of strong tea. Needed a fried slice too.
    Busy weekend ahead of moving furniture, oh joy.