TDF 2022:- Stage 21: La Défense Arena to Paris Champs-Elysées, 115.6Km ***Spoilers***

Stage 21: La Défense Arena to Paris Champs-Elysées, 115.6Km

Start Time: 16-30CET.

The Champs-Élysées, the traditional finishing point for the final stage of the Tour de France since 1975, will be the setting for an unprecedented double-bill, hosting not only the prestigious finale of the men’s race but also the start an historic women’s event. Prior to the Tour’s grand sprinting finale, the first stage of the first edition of the Women’s Tour de France with Zwift will be held on the final circuit in the heart of Paris.

The riders approach the French capital, usually very slowly. A glass of champagne, a photo shoot, a laugh and a joke, those are the ingredients of the parade stage on the final day of action. But once the riders hit the cobbles on the Champs-Élysées the bunch accelerates. The stage ends with eight fast laps of almost 7 kilometres.

Mark Cavendish was the fastest sprinter in Paris in the period 2009-2012. Unfortunately, he is not here, due to a selection error at Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl.
In subsequent years Marcel Kittel (2013, 2014), André Greipel (2015, 2016), Dylan Groenewegen (2017), Alexander Kristoff (2018), Caleb Ewan (2019), Sam Bennett (2020), and Wout van Aert (2021) powered to victory.

Final Kms.

What to Expect:

The last time someone surprised the fast guys was in 2005, when Vinokourov was able to hold off the peloton. So, expect the usual bunch sprint.

Along the Route.

Km 33.4

Versailles (Pop: 86,000)
The prefecture of Yvelines owes its reputation above all to its palace, undoubtedly one of the best known in the world. It is still in Versailles that deputies and senators meet in congress at the palace to ratify any modification of the Constitution. Located 17 km from Paris, the town is mainly residential and touristy, but has a good university infrastructure.
Louis XIV, the Sun King, imagined the destiny of Versailles and its castle with the highest ambitions. His primordial role in the history of France is also accompanied by an ongoing relationship with the Tour, which set off from the château in 2013 for the final stage of its hundredth edition.
In 1989, an individual time trial from Versailles became a historical battle between Laurent Fignon and Greg LeMond. The time trial to the Champs-Élysées ended with the tightest final gap in the Tour history: eight seconds for the American in the GC.
Previously, the royal city had been the starting point of the final time trial of the Tour de France eight times, and had seen Jacques Anquetil, Felice Gimondi, Eddy Merckx or Luis Ocana seal their Tour victories.

The Palace of Versailles is one of the finest achievements of French art in the 17th century. In the 1670s, Louis XIV had the Grand Apartments of the King and Queen fitted out. The most emblematic achievement of these spaces, places of parade and reception par excellence, remains the Hall of Mirrors designed by Mansart. In the following century, the extensions continued, notably with the construction of the Chapel and the Opera House. The château now has 63,154 m2 divided into 2,300 rooms.

Paris Champs-Élysées Re-Visited.

Population: 2,250,000
There's not a lot left to say about the Tour's final stage that hasn't already been said. So here is some of the "colour" used in previous editions.

Frequently described as ‘the world’s most beautiful avenue’, the Avenue des Champs-Élysées is nearly 2 kilometres in length. This historic thoroughfare runs from Place de la Concorde to the majestic Arc de Triomphe. The Champs-Élysées was once a swamp. It was in the 17th century that André Le Nôtre, gardener to the Sun King, traced its original path.

Paris Brest.
According to legend, the pastry was created by Louis Durand, a pâtissier from Maisons-Laffitte, France. The first Paris-Brest was made to homage to the Paris-to-Brest bike race. The circular shape of the dessert was intended to represent the wheel of a bicycle.

Onion Soup
Another famous food in Paris, onion soup is about as comforting as it gets.
According to legend, the recipe was invented by Louis XV nearly three centuries ago. Nowadays, the caramelized onion and beef broth is served gratinéed with crusty croutons and a slice of Gruyère cheese on top.

Jambon-beurre.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Thanks very mucn for these threads, Blazing
    They are much appreciated!
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Adding my thanks as well 👍
  • As always Blazing, these threads have been immense - thanks for your work (and thanks to to everyone who’s chipped in to make them fun)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I know exactly how hard it is to do something like this for every stage of the Tour, except you do it properly, with research and everything. My thanks and admiration yet again, Blazing.

Let's hope for an interesting final stage. Wout for the break?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Cheers blazing 👍

*Viking glasses on*
    Mads P's time to shine
    *Viking glasses off*
    The Green Monster can't win a 4th stage, can he?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    As the Tour comes to an end I have one lingering question. Why don’t Apple make a less violent vibration for their iPhone so it doesn’t fall off the table. My Samsung doesn’t move.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Thanks Blazing, much appreciated.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Thanks Blazing
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Thanks Blazing! Also thanks to everyone who posts. These threads are a great way to 'hold the wheel' when in danger of being 'dropped' due to work and other commitments!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Another "thank you" Blazing
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    Michael Woods is a DNS due to Covid.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Poor guy but chapeau for honesty
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    RichN95. said:

Blimey.
    Talk about the 11th hour.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Cheers for the threads @blazing_saddles
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    bm5 said:

Poor guy but chapeau for honesty

Today's stage doesn't suit him so he's decided to pack in. Like a sprinter leaving the giro after 2 weeks.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited July 2022
    Wrong bloody thread, somehow
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Alana Castrique out after a crash in the peloton. Didn't look like much created it - just a bit of bunching in the group (maybe a slight narrowing in the road?) and a touch of wheels. Someone else's head bounced quite badly off the road too, Majerus, maybe?

Wrong thread
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

Wrong bloody thread, somehow

Thread discipline please, @Lanterne_Rogue 😉
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Blimey.

And his teammate Guillaume Boivin is also out due to Covid. Israel will only have three finishers
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Blimey.

And his teammate Guillaume Boivin is also out due to Covid. Israel will only have three finishers
    So the Covid replacement is out with Covid.
    To think, Israel led the World with dishing out the vaccination.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    What's the event Matt Stephen's moustache is interviewing Bertie at?

• Lanterne_Rogue

Wout for the break?

Just skipped back to see the flag drop. Blimey!

(quite amusing bit of mucking about, tbh - would only have been improved if they'd tipped off Thomas so that he could strand himself in no man's land between them and the peloton)
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    At this pace I could go and do a 100Km ride and still get back before they finish...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Reading these threads just for the local foods. Some fantastic eating.
    Didn't realise Ineos had the team prize. Thought JV would have had it. Is there a WvA award as well?
  • More thanks from me to B-S for these threads. A combination of work and other life matters has meant I’ve had very little time to interact on them much, but I’ve been reading them all and following the updates from everyone, so thanks to you all as well.

What a tour it’s been, the best for years.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Stupid woman just walked into the bunch. Luckily the rider who clipped her just span her around and sent her shopping bag flying
  • Pross

Wout for the break?

Just skipped back to see the flag drop. Blimey!

(quite amusing bit of mucking about, tbh - would only have been improved if they'd tipped off Thomas so that he could strand himself in no man's land between them and the peloton)
    Would have been funny if they'd decided to actually give it a dig. Can you imagine the panic?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    And the race to get in a break is finally on.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross
    Not sure who is capable of controlling this today. As we saw on Friday the sprint teams look knackered so unless JV really want to round off their Tour in style it could be fun.