Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Since I bought some Yaktrax I've not seen any snow. Been several years now.

Do you live in Jamaica?
    I mean real snow that hangs around long enough to possibly need to use yaktrax.

Maybe they did come out once last year, my memory's a wasteland.
    Yaktrax are clearly working. You should buy an umbrella as well.
    …and a wind break. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 132
    edited July 2022

katani said:

To give you example, I recently googled a client of mine because I wanted to know her background and experience. First hit was a picture of a much younger version of her drunk at her school prom.

Are you able to tell somebody is drunk from a photograph only?
    No, it's hard to tell.

https://images.app.goo.gl/oh7bsSSUF6Yfdvdt8
    How do you know he is drunk in that photo though? Maybe just fooling around or having a seizure. You don't know unless you were there. Just shows how important it is to control ones behaviour at parties, as everyone now carries a smartphone with a camera and often will just wait to catch a mate doing something funny, then post it on social media for fun or to disrepute and a bunch of people will jump to the wrong conclusions. I don't drink at all due to having a liver condition (nor take any psychoactives) , but I do have some photographs in which I look like I am pissed out of my head... whilst being completely sober.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    katani said:

katani said:

To give you example, I recently googled a client of mine because I wanted to know her background and experience. First hit was a picture of a much younger version of her drunk at her school prom.

Are you able to tell somebody is drunk from a photograph only?
    No, it's hard to tell.

https://images.app.goo.gl/oh7bsSSUF6Yfdvdt8
    How do you know he is drunk in that photo though? Maybe just fooling around or having a seizure. You don't know unless you were there. Just shows how important it is to control ones behaviour at parties, as everyone now carries a smartphone with a camera and often will just wait to catch a mate doing something funny, then post it on social media for fun or to disrepute and a bunch of people will jump to the wrong conclusions. I don't drink at all due to having a liver condition (nor take any psychoactives) , but I do have some photographs in which I look like I am pissed out of my head... whilst being completely sober.
    Console yourself that those photos of you only exist because ypu are such a jolly fellow.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

I typed lomb and it autocorrected to lombok. What the hell is that?

It's an Indonesian island.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    Ben6899 said:

I typed lomb and it autocorrected to lombok. What the hell is that?

It's an Indonesian island.

Thank you. I wonder how many Samsung users unintentionally spell that wrong?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    That Oscar Friere is only 5'7½" and 64kg's.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited August 2022

You will never see blossoms on a fig tree. The fruit is the blossom — and it’s actually an inverted flower. At maturity, the interior of the fig contains only the remains of the flower, including the small, gritty structures we usually refer to as seeds. These “seeds” are actually unfertilized ovaries that failed to develop, and they give the fig that resinlike flavor and texture.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/07/21/why-fig-trees-never-blossom/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    People from Azerbaijan refer to themselves as Azeri and not Azerbaijanis.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

I'm glad you specified they do this, otherwise I'd have thought it another of your ridiculous abbreviations?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487

You will never see blossoms on a fig tree. The fruit is the blossom — and it’s actually an inverted flower. At maturity, the interior of the fig contains only the remains of the flower, including the small, gritty structures we usually refer to as seeds. These “seeds” are actually unfertilized ovaries that failed to develop, and they give the fig that resinlike flavor and texture.
    https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/07/21/why-fig-trees-never-blossom/
    There's also the remains of a dead wasp in every ripe fig.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • People from Azerbaijan refer to themselves as Azeri and not Azerbaijanis.

And Vladimir Putin refers to them as Russian?
  • pinno
    edited September 2022

And Vladimir Putin refers to them as Russian?
    He probably refers to the Finns, the Estonians, the Georgians, the Ukrainians, the Poles and the Mongolians as Russians too.
  • I needed to change my mobile phone settings..

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/womans-bank-account-emptied-after-gym-locker-raid/ar-AA11tiJW

..or stop going to the gym.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    So they got the PIN for her card from her phone, how did they access the phone?

I'd be tempted to arrange how I do my banking if I had a current account that would allow access to £8k in a day. Have one where you pay all your bills and another for daily spending then only carry a card for the latter.
  • pblakeney
    edited September 2022
    Pross said:

I'd be tempted to arrange how I do my banking if I had a current account that would allow access to £8k in a day. Have one where you pay all your bills and another for daily spending then only carry a card for the latter.

I bought my car using Switch. No questions asked. Seems to be the default assuming you have sufficient funds. Your solution is sensible and everyone's phone should auto lock.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

I think she's posted a more detailed story on her own twitter account. Some fairly serious security holes in the Santander app if I understood correctly - e.g. allowing you to see your banking PIN. And of course with all the two-step verification coming to the phone it's quite easy to reset all passwords and login details and then help yourself. Clearly the fraud detection protocols of her bank need a review as well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I think she's posted a more detailed story on her own twitter account. Some fairly serious security holes in the Santander app if I understood correctly - e.g. allowing you to see your banking PIN. And of course with all the two-step verification coming to the phone it's quite easy to reset all passwords and login details and then help yourself. Clearly the fraud detection protocols of her bank need a review as well.
    I must admit to being baffled as to what is achieved by sending a text to the phone that I am using to verify anything. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
  • First.Aspect
    edited September 2022
    pinno said:
    Not going to register just to see your car. I'll get marketing emails for people called Derek who park in fields to chat tyre walls with people called Norman.
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I must admit to being baffled as to what is achieved by sending a text to the phone that I am using to verify anything. 🤔
    If someone has just hacked your email, they won't get the text message. Obviously if they have your phone that level of security is redundant.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

If someone has just hacked your email, they won't get the text message. Obviously if they have your phone that level of security is redundant.
    That is what I meant, while using the phone. Useless.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • If someone got my phone and managed to hack the fingerprint sensor, they could do an awful lot. Am going to put additional security on the banking app that could do the real big harm. If you are in there you obviously also have access to text messages and emails.

I don't have all that much sat in the account that's linked to google pay, but it's useful to think about what's worth the saving in faff against the potential loss.
  • pinno

pinno said:
    Not going to register just to see your car. I'll get marketing emails for people called Derek who park in fields to chat tyre walls with people called Norman.
    I wonder why you have to register to see it...

I'll try another link.

[in the right thread :smiley: ]
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Notwithstanding Santanders culpability, it feels they managed to do a huge amount with the time she was in the gym.

Unless there are worrying ways around things none of us are aware of, with my phone the thieves would have had to access a 6 digit PIN to open the phone then another 6 digit PIN to get into my app and whilst you could do the 'forgot password' and gone to two step verification they would still need the details for the other step. It feels like the thieves managed to do a huge amount within the time it took to discover and report the theft.
  • Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Notwithstanding Santanders culpability, it feels they managed to do a huge amount with the time she was in the gym.

Unless there are worrying ways around things none of us are aware of, with my phone the thieves would have had to access a 6 digit PIN to open the phone then another 6 digit PIN to get into my app and whilst you could do the 'forgot password' and gone to two step verification they would still need the details for the other step. It feels like the thieves managed to do a huge amount within the time it took to discover and report the theft.
    If it was fingerprint protected, they'd just need to get past the fingerprint protection, nothing more.
  • Pross

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

If it was fingerprint protected, they'd just need to get past the fingerprint protection, nothing more.
    That would come under the ‘worrying ways’, is there much evidence that it can be easily done? My new phone doesn’t have a fingerprint scanner and only uses facial recognition (which doesn’t recognise me half the time).
  • Ensure your phone is set so that it does not show the contents of the message within a notification even when the phone is locked. If the phone shows the message contents within the notification alert, the baddies can get the MFA code without needing to unlock the phone.
  • pinno
    Solution: don't have banking apps or any financial apps on your phone.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    pinno said:

Yeah just pop into your local branch
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

pinno said:

Yeah just pop into your local branch
    The problem is they seem to be closing down at a rapid rate.