sunday up ahead in the distance

'ning

ride cafes and basking, tdf mountains and bubbly later
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521
    Ride, loafing, tdf. No plans beyond that.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Ride soon (bit further than last week), book, spot of shifting stuff around in the garden, work, napping.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Ferkin TDF is very close today but they have closed all the downhill routes to it so we are going to miss it 🤬 awesome trails near there though

Apparently none of the 11 people I’m out with want to drink with me tonight……. As they all feel like shoot today, I’m sure I will change there minds later
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    tlw1 said:

Ferkin TDF is very close today but they have closed all the downhill routes to it so we are going to miss it 🤬 awesome trails near there though

Probably because of the tradition started by Dave Watson and they don't want another opi omi incident
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696

Ride, loafing, tdf. No plans beyond that.

Ditto

Been in a little panic this morning, my new(ish) Garmin 530 started playing up yesterday while out n about. Hasn’t recorded my ride details and not responding to button presses, feeling deflated!
    Found the manual, tried a 'reset' and it appears to have worked - test on the road later. Happy bunny again :)

Wall to wall blue skies here, bring it on!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    What's wrong with a basic cycle compooter?

Drizzle? I mean, 'drizzle' ffs. Now the sun has popped out.

Beans is celebrating freedom with 3 mice and one bird.

Did you see a shimmering light and did your sack grow heavy and your sight grow dim SG?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    edited July 2022
    Extra good lie in this morning, not even the dogs bladders disturbed us. Going to be a hot one here, so we won't take them out. Just as well the there are some nice cool shaded bits of the house for when we've had enough of the sun.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Is 1030 too early for a brunch? Enjoyed a fry up inc some rather tasty sausages from local butchers. That's a quality place I will be using frequently I reckon. Now full and replete. Do I do some garden stuff before the sun gets too much? Or do I just doze in the shade? Or do I do some bike fettling inc tracking down the missing Garmin, underseat pouch, minipump et al. They'll be somewhere 'safe'.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    tlw1 said:

Apparently none of the 11 people I’m out with want to drink with me tonight……. As they all feel like shoot today, I’m sure I will change there minds later

😂 Whilst driving through France I saw an artic from a freight company called TLW, thought of you but didn't realise it was your holiday booze being delivered.

Morning folks, traditional slow start is being enjoyed. Might make coffee next. Did lots of sightseeing yesterday and walked about 10 miles. Cousin and family enjoyed it, couldn't believe how warm London could be.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    tlw1 said:

Sounds like the last day of a stag weekend :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    edited July 2022
    post-bask caught the last hour or so of tdf, excellent
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521
    sungod said:

post-bask caught the last hour or so of tdf, excellent

Poor peanut.

Switzerland looked lovely.
  • orraloon
    Oi, no spoilers perlease. Some of us have been garden toiling in and out of shade all day and going to catch up on TdF later. Nice little one pot diced lamb and lots of veges and flavours a-bubbling on the hob while I enjoy a coldie in the less fierce sun.

If today was summer then it was very nice.

Local farmers v v busy with hay / silage cropping, continual tractor and trailer action. Plus had a visit from a local red kite, first I've seen here. In The Valley there may be more kites than pigeons.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

In The Valley there may be more kites than pigeons.

They re-introduced them in High Wycombe in the late 90's (IIRC) and they have spread whilst knocking the feral pigeon population down.

• orraloon
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

In The Valley there may be more kites than pigeons.

They re-introduced them in High Wycombe in the late 90's (IIRC) and they have spread whilst knocking the feral pigeon population down.

Chilterns ridge by Stokenchurch. Just up the A/M40 a bit. First time I saw one was 2003 on a ride through Chilterns and it was 'wow'. A few years later my then neighbour was head forester for what is now Earth Trust environmental charidee with big area of woods and grassland, he told me that there was a kite nest on their lands, shush, don't tell anyone. These days, red kites everywhere all the time. They got themselves established.

I reckon in a decade or so SW Scotland will replicate.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited July 2022
    We have our local Red Kite flying round the village most days calling out. Today we had a pair of Kestrels teaching their offspring how to fly, skylarks singing their heads off, sparrows and starling’s mobbing the birdfeeders. Followed this evening by low flying Swallows and their young swooping over the garden. Just need the Barn Owl and the Bat to finish it off.
    Forgot to mention the cats and our foster dogs( daughters) will now look at each other and be in the same room. Currently cat on sofa, dog laid on floor 3 feet away.
    Wild life it’s intriguing.
  • pinno
    Wait until you see a Hen Harrier in action, what a thing.
    They aren't listed here and I know where there are a couple of pairs.
    20 years ago, 2 Germans were caught with a load of raptor eggs and given hefty penalties. They were doing it on behalf of an Arab. Since then, the local twitters and brochures are careful not to give any sites away.
    We see lots of sparrow hawks. Our resident collared Dove's never exceed 2 mating pairs as the excess get taken out. I witnessed a Dove perched on the ladder rack of a pick up I was using getting taken out I just caught this moving thing out of the corner of my eye and the Dove was history. It happened so fast.