Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

Clearing the daft draft.

Best way I've found is to save a full stop as a draft to delete any auto-saved nonsense BR has decided to, then it doesn't really matter if you forget to delete it next time you post in the thread. Saves filling the threads with daft "Clearing the daft draft" nonsense.
    Red rag and bull talk that is...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

Clearing the daft draft.

Best way I've found is to save a full stop as a draft to delete any auto-saved nonsense BR has decided to, then it doesn't really matter if you forget to delete it next time you post in the thread. Saves filling the threads with daft "Clearing the daft draft" nonsense.
    Yep, cheers I've started doing that. There was part of me too which wanted to create a bit of mayhem to see if anything would get done about it.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

Clearing the daft draft.

Yep, cheers I've started doing that. There was part of me too which wanted to create a bit of mayhem to see if anything would get done about it.

You new round here? ;)
  • focuszing723

Clearing the daft draft.

You new round here? ;)
    It's funny isn't it. It all seems to run quite smoothly now without all the power crazed mods it used to have.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    😉
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Reading about Turkey rebranding itself to Türkiye and finding out that the Netherlands dropped Holland two years ago. Never noticed
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Turkey was always Türkiye in Turkish.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Locals still called it Turkey though.

Never knew that about Netherlands
  • First.Aspect

Locals still called it Turkey though.

Never knew that about Netherlands

No they didn't, they called it what it was called. It sounds a bit like "Turkey" but in a Turkish accent.

I suppose if you are an ignorant tourist, you'd assume they were just pronouncing Turkey funny, rather than Turkey being a mispronounciation of the country's actual name.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    From the BBC Article

"Most Turks already know their country as Türkiye. However the anglicised form Turkey is widely used, even within the country."
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Yeah. How dare those Germans call it München, or those Italians Torino or Genova or Roma when us (not me) Ingerlaanders spik propah?
  • First.Aspect
    JimD666 said:

From the BBC Article

"Most Turks already know their country as Türkiye. However the anglicised form Turkey is widely used, even within the country."

Have you actually been? The tour guides use it to the tourists. And everyone knows that Turkey refers to their country. But if you listen to the radio or TV, they don't. I was there 25 years ago. Pretty sure it won't have been more anglicised since then.

I remember a long chat on a bus transfer with a guide who was fascinated we were visiting all the Roman and Greek sites, including some more obscure ones, not the Ottoman sites. Educated chap, made the point even then that the Turks don't like their country to be named after a bird.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2022
    "The most important thing is to build underground,” says Cédric Vuilleumier, an engineer for the Federal Office for Civil Protection in Switzerland, where all citizens are legally guaranteed a spot in a bomb shelter. Packed earth insulates against radiation and blast waves, but don’t go deeper than 10 feet; if your exits (make two) become blocked in the blast, you may need to dig yourself out.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/magazine/how-to-build-a-fallout-shelter.html#:~:text=Packed earth insulates against radiation,need to dig yourself out.

Sounds like a good idea and less effort required too.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

"The most important thing is to build underground,” says Cédric Vuilleumier, an engineer for the Federal Office for Civil Protection in Switzerland, where all citizens are legally guaranteed a spot in a bomb shelter. Packed earth insulates against radiation and blast waves, but don’t go deeper than 10 feet; if your exits (make two) become blocked in the blast, you may need to dig yourself out.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/magazine/how-to-build-a-fallout-shelter.html#:~:text=Packed earth insulates against radiation,need to dig yourself out.

Overkill or what?

If you were alive in the 80’s, surely you know you just lean a door against a wall and drape some blankets on it.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Harry Potter was safe too. Cupboard under the stairs.
  • focuszing723
    morstar said:

Harry Potter was safe too. Cupboard under the stairs.

Hate to point the obvious out here, Mr Potter is a Wizard with skills and is good on a broom, so he could just Houdini off to Everest or something.
  • pinno

• focuszing723
    edited June 2022
    And I quote:
    We sow the seed, nature grows the seed and then we eat the seed...

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

Nice if you avoid the question of what air are you breathing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    [Image in head of being stuck in a bunker breathing Blakey's farts]

Hell.
  • focuszing723
    Rjsterry likes to grow the beta carotene rich, solanum lycopersicum.
  • focuszing723
    How to play the scissors.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    That Steve Peters of sports psychology fame has won numerous world athletics masters titles and even now, at 69, is running 12.5 seconds for 100m / 25 sseconds for 200m!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pross said:

That Steve Peters of sports psychology fame has won numerous world athletics masters titles and even now, at 69, is running 12.5 seconds for 100m / 25 sseconds for 200m!

Both impressive, but the 200m time especially so.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    Underbiking- riding a bike on more technically demanding terrain than the bike was intended for. Examples include taking a road bike on rough dirt roads.

Downblousing- The inverse of upskirting.
  • First.Aspect
    On the downblowsing thing, the SNP in Scotland are trying to make taking a photo of cleavage without permission illegal.

Don't get be wrong, I'm all for avoiding harassment by jpeg, but it's essentially going to make it impossible to take a photo in public with anyone in it. And broadcasters will need to blur out crowd shots, esp. when Brazil are playing.

Other than that, it is a sound and well thought out policy.
  • pblakeney
    Curious.
    Is displaying a cleavage now flashing?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Curious.
    Is displaying a cleavage now flashing?

Not if you don't look at it.

It is well meaning simpleton wokey politics. A bit like the clusterfcuk they are making about male/female spaces.

Fancy hanging out in women's toilets or changing rooms at the gym? Well then, identify as a woman for a day.
  • pblakeney
    People are going to turn themselves inside out trying to do the “right” thing. I won’t be trying.
    Veronese68 wrote: