Opinel TDF folding knives????

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
What? Why? Anybody? Will this be something in high demand?

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Well, hopefully if anything did kick off with Opinel TDF purchasers, the situation could be desalinated.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    The clue may be in where Opinel are based and manufactured, since the town features in just about every edition of the race.
    It’s the gateway to the Croix de Fer, Glandon, Col de La Madeleine, Col du Telegraph and Galibier. Plus it’s the the start of La Toussuire.

St Jean du Maurienne
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    dennisn said:

What? Why? Anybody? Will this be something in high demand?

A couple of knife crimes or stabbing incidents might give some drama to these first few stages. A member of the peloton goes missing and is found ritually butchered in forrest with a Opinel TDF folding knife nearby. It could be a plot for a new Scandinavian crime drama.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2022
    i have an Opinel 13 or 12 or whatever the largest is as an every day work knife - they're brilliant.

whether having a T de F one will help me slice salami quicker is a moot point.

they are mega knives though tbh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

Well, hopefully if anything did kick off with Opinel TDF purchasers, the situation could be desalinated.

desalination is the name of the gsme if you want to be a record breaker.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Souvenir company makes Souvenirs Shock!

I bought ma-raver a set of kitchen ones and I can't say I was too impressed. They didn't keep an edge well, (albeit you can re-apply one unlike most properly cheap knives)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I have a couple of the standard folding knives, they work well, easy to sharpen and inexpensive to buy.
    We came across the Opinel museum on a trip through the Alps and happened to stay at St Jean du Maureen's. Loved the roundabout with a giant Opinel knife in the middle. Museum was quite interesting too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I'd never heard of them so Dennis has done a great job of helping with their marketing by questioning their marketing.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    edited July 2022
    I don’t think they a knife problem in France, outside of the slumps of Paris… Opinel wouldn’t be my first choice if I wanted to stab someone
    left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    Pross said:

I'd never heard of them so Dennis has done a great job of helping with their marketing by questioning their marketing.

I'm surprised. They 're everywhere one would see impulse buys or trinkets in La Belle France
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle

I don’t think they a knife problem in France, outside of the slumps of Paris… Opinel wouldn’t be my first choice if I wanted to stab someone

why not? its not about the knife, theres a proper technique to it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    MattFalle said:

Hand can easily slide onto the blade if you use it to stab… you might end up with a large cut in your hand… it’s been designed to slice saucisson, rather than to slice a rival gang

left the forum March 2023
  • ddraver
    Saucisson is where it's at. Nothing says NOW we're on holiday like slicing a saucisson with an opinel knife in an alpine meadow that's for sure...
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Hand can easily slide onto the blade if you use it to stab… you might end up with a large cut in your hand… it’s been designed to slice saucisson, rather than to slice a rival gang

eh? how are you stabbing? sounds like you not doing it right tbh.
  • MattFalle
    ddraver said:

Saucisson is where it's at. Nothing says NOW we're on holiday like slicing a saucisson with an opinel knife in an alpine meadow that's for sure...

i always take salami and an Opinel out in the field at work - never leave home without it.

theres actually a serious side alongside it just being fun.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Pross said:

Oddly enough I had never heard of them either. Then again I'm not a knife guy. Was at a 4th of July party yesterday and said something about those knives to a few friends and they were all saying they had an Opinel knife or two. Gotta say that a TDF commemorative knife just sounded kind of bizarre to me. Then again I'm the sort of guy who couldn't believe the amount of Eiffel Tower trinkets in the city. Seemed like every little shop carried millions of them.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Worth noting that the locking mechanism on an Opinel means that it isn't "immediately foldable" and is therefore illegal to carry in this country without a "good reason or lawful authority".
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,277
    mrb123 said:

Worth noting that the locking mechanism on an Opinel means that it isn't "immediately foldable" and is therefore illegal to carry in this country without a "good reason or lawful authority".

Just show the officer in question your saucisson, you'll be on your way in no time.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    pangolin said:

mrb123 said:

Just show the officer in question your saucisson, you'll be on your way in no time.
    Think that might get you arrested for a completely different offence!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    mrb123 said:

I was trying to work that out the other day. All the stuff I was reading mentioned needing to press a button to close the blade but I assumed one of those twist mechanisms (I had one on a pocket knife when I was a scout) would make it a 'lock knife').
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Yes would count as a lock knife so you'd need a reason to carry it - same with anything over a 3 inch blade folding or not.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    You lot seem disturbingly familiar with the legality or otherwise of knife carrying. Are you typing this from D Wing?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

I was trying to work that out the other day. All the stuff I was reading mentioned needing to press a button to close the blade but I assumed one of those twist mechanisms (I had one on a pocket knife when I was a scout) would make it a 'lock knife').
    Yeah, as I said it has to be "immediately foldable" so a Swiss Army type knife (so long as blade is under 3 inches) is OK but anything with a mechanism such as the Opinels have would fall foul of the legislation.

• MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Yeah, as I said it has to be "immediately foldable" so a Swiss Army type knife (so long as blade is under 3 inches) is OK but anything with a mechanism such as the Opinels have would fall foul of the legislation.

well thats every picnic basket and farmer on the continent locked up then....
  • pangolin
    MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

The picnickers would have a good reason and the farmers are not in the country (and would also have a good reason) so both would be fine.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

UK legislation, no?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

UK legislation, no?
    there must be an equiv, non? (see what MF did there, did ya?)
  • MattFalle
    pangolin said:

MattFalle said:

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

The picnickers would have a good reason and the farmers are not in the country (and would also have a good reason) so both would be fine.
    so a picnic is an excuse for carrying a cutlass around?

cool.
  • pangolin
    It's a woolly law designed to give police some discretion. Technically you can carry one of these anywhere as it's been designed to fit UK law, but hopefully most people would think twice about waggling it around at the supermarket.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono