Stripped thread on crank - repair or replace crank?

I have had a clicking noise coming from my pedals for a few months now. I changed the chain and bottom bracket. I also ordered a new large chainring as this was looking worn. I was wondering whether the noise was coming from the pedals themselves so took them off to swap with an old pair that I have on my hybrid (that don't creak).

The right hand pedal was *very* stiff and was tricky to remove. On inspection the bolt has completely stripped the thread on the crank. The crank is a FSA CK6020 (about 12 years old). Other than the pedal not fitting it is absolutely fine!

I have just looked online and it seems as though you can get replacement crank repair thread things. Are these any good or should I just buy a new crank? Buying a new crank is a bit of a pain as I have only just bought a new chainring for my existing one!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Mark

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    helicoil it.

perfect repair, will last forever.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Thanks @MattFalle . I will call my local bike shop tomorrow. Will see how much he charges for a repair. I don't have all the kit so it might be that if he can't do it I buy a new crank...
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

Thanks @MattFalle . I will call my local bike shop tomorrow. Will see how much he charges for a repair. I don't have all the kit so it might be that if he can't do it I buy a new crank...

If your LBS cant do it find another LBS.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if it goes that way, Merlin are shifting 105 cranksets for a decent price, so lob one of those on and forget about chainring wear, etc (caveat - so long as you have suitable b/b snd don,'t mind running 105)
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.