TDF 2022:- Stage 3, Sunday, July 3rd - Vejle to Sønderborg 182kms, ***Spoilers***

Vejle to Sønderborg 182kms

Start Time 13-05CET

Starting from the host city of the usual queen stage of the Tour of Denmark, the third day is pancake-flat, with way less chance of echelons than the previous day - a perfect stage for the pure sprinters. The riders clip into their pedals in Vejle, a city which has the rather unfortunate nickname of the "Manchester of Denmark".

This stage across the Jutland peninsula opens with a loop that passes the massive Jelling Stones, which date from the 10th century and are regarded as the birthplace of the nation, marking Denmark’s emergence from a pagan to a Christian country. The 182-kilometer route then heads south, almost to the border with Germany, including three more Cat. 4 climbs for those contesting the polka-dot jersey. The finale is fairly sheltered and so the sprinters’ teams should be able to catch any breakaways.

The finish in Sønderborg will mark the end of the most northerly start in Tour de France history. Following the stage, the race entourage will make a 900-kilometer transfer to northern France where racing continues in two days’ time.

Final Kms

What to Expect.
The 3rd stage at the Tour de France is not entirely flat. But the obstacles are not at all hard. So the sprinters are likely to have it their way. So, expect the breakaway to be small, controlled by the big sprint teams. After that, sprint trains, elbows, possible pile ups, protests and the best lead out making the crucial difference.

Vejle

Population: 59,900
Specialities: stegt flaesh (roast pork in parsley sauce with potatoes), smorrebrod (slice of rye bread with cold cuts, fish, cheese and condiments), wienerbrod (pastry)

VEJLE AND CYCLING

With twenty stage finishes, almost one every year since 2002, Vejle is a must for the Tour of Denmark, where most of the big names in Danish cycling have won, as well as international stars such as Phil Anderson, the first winner in the town in 1988, and Remco Evenepoel, who raised his arms here in 2021. A native of the town, Eluf Dalgaard, participated in the Tour de France in 1958. Rasmus Guldhammer was also born in Velje and is the Danish junior and U23 champion and a pro from 2008 to 2019. Another less expected Vejle-born rider is Tony Rominger, the former Vuelta and Giro winner, whose mother was Danish.

Along the Stage.
Km 12

Tumulus and rune stones of Jelling

Construction: 940 to 970, discovered in 1978 under the town's church.
Characteristics: the small and large Jelling Stone were erected in the 10th century by King Gorm the Elder and Harald the Blue Tooth, his son, respectively. The small Jelling Stone honours Thyra of Denmark, the wife of King Gorm, while the large stone, erected much later, commemorates the life of Harald the Blue Tooth's parents and his conquest of Denmark and Norway.
History: the site was originally a pagan site, which was enlarged and converted into a large-scale Christian site. The monument at Jelling was built in three phases from 940 to 970. The first phase saw the erection of a 170m long stone boat with a Bronze Age mound at its end. The second phase was the erection of the northern mound, which is the largest in Denmark. It covered the Bronze Age mound and the northern tip of the stone boat. Analysis of the runes and dating of the burial chamber, including the remains found there, suggest that this is the tomb erected by Harald the Blue Tooth. The third and final phase took place 5-7 years after the death of King Gorm, around the year 965. It is connected with the conversion of Denmark to Christianity.

Sønderborg
Population: 75,000
Specialities: ”Ringrider” sausages, the South Jutland coffee table, solæg (eggs pickled in brine)

Sønderborg Castle holds almost 800 years of Southern Jutland and Schleswig’s dramatic history. The many rooms show modern exhibitions about the turbulent history of Southern Jutland and the border country, the Danish King Christian II's imprisonment at the castle, the Danish defeat in 1864 and the many Danes participating in World War I on the German side prior to the Reunification in 1920.
Gråsten Palace is best known as the summer resident of the royal family.

SØNDERBORG AND CYCLING

Like the other Danish towns in the Tour de France, Sønderborg has regularly featured on The Tour of Denmark (PostNord Danmark Rundt), most recently in 2021, when former world champion Mads Pedersen won the sprint ahead of Giaccomo Nizzolo and Dylan Groenewegen.

”Ringrider” sausages

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Might not bother with this until the last 20km, but thanks as ever for these threads B_S :)
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Thanks for the threads Blazing
    Those eggs look delicious :)
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Thanks for report on St 3 - chapeau!
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Cort has clipped off at km0 no one batted an eyelid ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Peloton playing the "yeah, we'll send a few up to you in a mo, don't worry 'bout it" game 😅

Don't think Magnus will be worried, he'll happily take a solo tour through Danish crowds and pick up a few more polkadot points
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Crowds and vistas have been really good .Denmark has a windswept green charm ... Aerial views are much more spectacular than one would imagine
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    This is going to be like that awful Giro stage.
    Sprinter teams keeping breaks on such short leashes have a lot to answer for
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    This is the first stage I've had a chance to see due to family reasons. That Jumbo-Visma shirt is bloody awful, isn't it? Looks like they've all already crashed.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited July 2022
    Black shorts and polka dot garmin. I approve.
  • mididoctors
    Crowds are a bit "super spreader " event ... Truly awesome
  • mididoctors
    Look how disciplined the Danish are standing back

Lol
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The Danish public watch the Tour every summer, it's almost a tradition. Even "Mr & Mrs Denmark" know the spectating rules
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Someone needs to tell Mikkel Honoré & Chris Juul to ease off a touch and let Magnus have his day 😅
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Incredible support from the Danes.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    DeadCalm said:

Incredible support from the Danes.

Everyone knew it was going to be big, but nobody quite expected this mad. But hey, a "folkefest" is what we do here 😅
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    WVA storms into provisional green? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    Only 6 mountain points available in stage 4, none in stage 5, so he should have a few days in polka dots.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Think he'll probably try and get in the break on St 4 as well
  • kingstongraham
    I find van Aert's red bull hat irrationally irritating.
  • mididoctors
    Getting into the last 20 k
  • kingstongraham
    I'd forgotten what a stream of verbal diarrhoea sounds like.
  • Sounds like I’ve not missed much :D
  • 13 k to go and still on page one says a lot
  • Can't believe it was a break of one. I had Taco Van Der Horne as a minimum
  • mididoctors
    Big crash
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Crash mid peleton
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Big chute
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    G safe!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Once again a random crash will probably cost some GC hopefuls dear.
  • Benoot just ticking over and sliding past everyone at that speed